drd23

2018 Ravens 1st Round Draft Pick (#25) - Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina

19 hours ago, Mancunian Raven said:

I don't think that extra two weeks will take him from "not ready to step onto the field" to starting TE.

I ask because it just seemed like a seemingly arbitrary and unnecessarily rigid criteria for determining success/failure.

not talking about 1st round picks only. Dickson, Gillmore, do you consider them hits? both drafted 3rd round.

i give a pass on Boyle as he was a 5th round pick but other than that... MEH

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

not talking about 1st round picks only. Dickson, Gillmore, do you consider them hits? both drafted 3rd round.

i give a pass on Boyle as he was a 5th round pick but other than that... MEH

Maxx Williams is an injury bust. He was drafted as a 20 year old and developing. His injury is one we’ve never seen someone have and come back from in the NFL. Ozzie can’t help that. Similar to Pitta dislocating his hips.

Ed Dickson was drafted the same year as Dennis Pitta. We hit on Pitta a round later, that’s a 50% success rate on the position there, which is great.

Gillmore was one of our best blocking tight ends in Ravens history. He was also a favor to then offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak. He was having a breakout campaign when the injuries began to pile up. There is a difference between a talent bust and an injury bust.

Yeah both Williams' and Gillmore's careers have been derailed by injuries. It's too simple to say they just busted.

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

Yeah both Williams' and Gillmore's careers have been derailed by injuries. It's too simple to say they just busted.

Yup. I think the only instance where we would have to consider an injury bust as something to pin on the GM is if that player had a known injury history or problem before we drafted them.

Kind of like had Sergio Kindle not fallen down those steps and instead busted because his knee gave out instead. Or if Josh Rosen ends up out of the league in 3 years because of concussions than the onus is on the GM for taking that risk.

Otherwise, injuries are an unfortunate part of the game that can’t be predicted much more (playing style) for one player anymore than another.