2018 Ravens 1st Round Draft Pick (#32) - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

wackywabbit

9 hours ago, DreamKid said:

That's called being raw. Even technically sound QBs benefit from sitting a year instead of being thrown to the fire. Letting him sit for two to grow physically as well as technically sounds great to me.

"that raw". 

I was referring to the fans who believes Jackson is some huge project - especially because of his throwing motion and the idea that he doesn't scan the field and tug the ball and run if his 1. read isn't open.

Some quarterbacks have to improve in 10 different areas to be a competent starter, while Jackson has most of these talents down, he has a lot of work to do in very few areas. That's the point I was trying to make.

4 minutes ago, Danand said:

I was referring to the fans who believes Jackson is some huge project - especially because of his throwing motion and the idea that he doesn't scan the field and tug the ball and run if his 1. read isn't open

Yea that version of Jackson doesn't exist....

That reminds me of when Cam Newton was coming out and NFLN briefly had this segment where this "I'm an angry sport's fan that says what everyone is thinking" columnist guy was brought on to go head to head with Mike Mayock on draft subjects. The dude had zero expertise, knowledge, or even actual sports background and he was debating Mike over QBs in the class, specifically Newton vs Gabbert or Clausen I don't remember which.

Well they start getting into it and the guy at one point scoffs and says "I don't buy into these mobile QBs, you gotta be able to throw the ball". Like he's unleashing some gem, and those are the hard facts. Mayock just bowled right over him and talked about how Newton actually had a real natural throwing motion and was in fact a great thrower of the football.

The guy then just switched to "Well I just believe in X more", and they never did the segment again with the guy. Clearly he knew nothing about Newton, had either never watched him or lacked the comprehension to understand what he was watching and just spit out some hacky biased nonsense. That's the level of ignorance that would draw those conclusions about Jackson.

It's actual even more impressive that he put up the rushing totals he did when he isn't some "1st read is covered, gotta run" player. He had designed runs sure, but a lot of that production was off improv and creativity after having gone through his progressions.

I'm excited to see how his feel and understanding of pressure and oncoming defenders continues to produce special throws from the pocket. He has some unique abilities back there, and his poise is excellent. I better not see a "Paranoid" trait on Madden, he's ice.

I was listening to some podcast today where it they talked about how this is always the time when everyone undersells the new rookie QB class and talks about how next year's class and the one after will be so much better. But, there is none of that this year. Everyone knows this was the year to take a QB.

Well, everybody but the Giants. I was stunned they actually went through with Barkley after seeing the haul the Colts got for the Jets. It's crazy to me to think that they could have traded down and gotten Roquan Smith AND Ronald Jones AND beaten our trade and gotten Lamar Jackson just what the Barkley pick. OR take Nelson at 6, Nick Chubb instead of Hernandez at 34, trade for Lamar, and get Courtland Sutton to replace Marshall. Even if they didn't love Lamar: take Rosen/Allen at 6, Ronald Jones at 37,  Conor Williams at 49, AND still have the Jets second rounder in 2019 JUST for the Barkley pick. Mind-boggling. I was sure the only way they don't move off of 2 was for a QB.

3 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Man I am just so excited to have this guy 

Good to see you in here.

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I was listening to some podcast today where it they talked about how this is always the time when everyone undersells the new rookie QB class and talks about how next year's class and the one after will be so much better. But, there is none of that this year. Everyone knows this was the year to take a QB.

Well, everybody but the Giants. I was stunned they actually went through with Barkley after seeing the haul the Colts got for the Jets. It's crazy to me to think that they could have traded down and gotten Roquan Smith AND Ronald Jones AND beaten our trade and gotten Lamar Jackson just what the Barkley pick. OR take Nelson at 6, Nick Chubb instead of Hernandez at 34, trade for Lamar, and get Courtland Sutton to replace Marshall. Even if they didn't love Lamar: take Rosen/Allen at 6, Ronald Jones at 37,  Conor Williams at 49, AND still have the Jets second rounder in 2019 JUST for the Barkley pick. Mind-boggling. I was sure the only way they don't move off of 2 was for a QB.

Agreed. But hey, I can’t necessarily blame them. 2019’s QB class is that poor (and it looks like the RB class might be even worse than the QB class), but they did eventually draft Kyle Lauletta. And to be quite honest, I think we see two of the five first round quarterbacks flop, while at least one of the late round quarterbacks thrive in a big way. Of the two that flop my best bets would be team Josh. On the flip side my best bet of the late round options is Kyle Lauletta.

12 hours ago, DreamKid said:

That 8 TDs first half against Charlotte is lolzy (he just embarrassed them like it was a varsity vs JV scrimmage) and that Syracuse game is absurd too. It’s like it’s a science experiment and he’s the human variable.

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

There's a chance he's just being sarcastic, BTerp is a Negative Nancy lately. Really only ever see him drop by to complain.

If there's anyone I've been particularly negative about it was probably Flacco, particularly given how often people would make excuses for him. I'm glad that the front office/coaching staff shared my doubts about him enough to be planning for life after him. 2018 is probably gonna be another 7-9 to 9-7 type middling season as Joe's last ride but the light's at the end of the tunnel now and we might finally become exciting, interesting, and truly competitive again afterwards, you can belee dat. 

3 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

2018 is probably gonna be another 7-9 to 9-7 type middling season as Joe's last ride but the light's at the end of the tunnel now and we might finally become exciting, interesting, and truly competitive again afterwards, you can belee dat. 

Whatever it's going to be, I think we'll find out quickly. The schedule is legit this year and those early battles will tell us a lot. We'll be going head first into the NFC South arms race that's gone on. Everyone will be thankful we've pounded the corner position so much come then.

9 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

If there's anyone I've been particularly negative about it was probably Flacco, particularly given how often people would make excuses for him. I'm glad that the front office/coaching staff shared my doubts about him enough to be planning for life after him. 2018 is probably gonna be another 7-9 to 9-7 type middling season as Joe's last ride but the light's at the end of the tunnel now and we might finally become exciting, interesting, and truly competitive again afterwards, you can belee dat. 

I am much more bullish on this season (I'm typically more optimistic, so take it FWIW).  In part it's because I think Joe has a fire lit under him to get that fourth contract (rookie/post-SB/restructure-extension were first three), but MORE because of Martindale and the defense.  His resume as DC doesn't tell us a ton, but I think he's worth at least a win over Pees just by virtue of being more aggressive* in key situations. 

*The word Harbaugh used in introducing him; one that he specifically also used when expressing disappointment with our defense failing late under Pees.

54 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I am much more bullish on this season (I'm typically more optimistic, so take it FWIW).  In part it's because I think Joe has a fire lit under him to get that fourth contract (rookie/post-SB/restructure-extension were first three), but MORE because of Martindale and the defense.  His resume as DC doesn't tell us a ton, but I think he's worth at least a win over Pees just by virtue of being more aggressive* in key situations. 

*The word Harbaugh used in introducing him; one that he specifically also used when expressing disappointment with our defense failing late under Pees.

I’m not sure how much I believe the idea of Martindale is aggressive only because that’s what they all are until they proved that they aren’t. Pretty sure Dean Pees was once considered aggressive, when we were comparing him to Greg Mattison, which was probably true.

That said, the thing that I like most about the new defense is that I’m hearing the players have more control. So they can make more on field adjustments based off of what they are seeing of the opposing offense. That alone could make the defense more aggressive depending on what guys like Weddle and Mosley are seeing on the other side of the ball.

Archived