Vikings select...Jalyn Holmes, DL, Ohio St

SemperFeist

I like the pick. Seems like a rotational player, but that's how Zimmer defensive lines work, and that's generally how you get the best performance overall, just being able to rotate them in and out. Hopefully he can provide that UT/NT depth.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

I like the pick. Seems like a rotational player, but that's how Zimmer defensive lines work, and that's generally how you get the best performance overall, just being able to rotate them in and out. Hopefully he can provide that UT/NT depth.

Definitely won't be NT depth.

Vikings rookie defensive tackle Jalyn Holmes waited through the first two nights of the NFL Draft without hearing his name called, an excruciating experience for the 22-year-old and his family, who gathered at home in Norfolk, Va., to take in three-day spectacle.

Holmes called it “a perfect situation” to start his NFL career with the Vikings, adding that it also serves as a reunion with former Buckeyes teammate Pat Elflein, with whom he often went head to head in practice.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/04/vikings-rookie-dt-jalyn-holmes-credits-c-pat-elflein-with-helping-him-reach-nfl/

Holmes has some real pass rush ability from both DE and DT. 

Here's Holmes at the Senior Bowl at LDE destroying early round 2 pick Austin Corbett with a spin move and getting the sack: 

He used the same spin move from DT, embarrassing early round 2 pick Will Hernandez to get a QB pressure:

And here's Holmes' spin move again in a drill from the Senior Bowl, not sure against which LG: 

I did find one clip of Holmes facing Brian O'Neill in Senior Bowl drills: 

Not sure who PFF would say won that rep. 

19 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Dan Hope Tweet (3rd down) is against Scott Quessenberry of UCLA. 

OK that's two 2nd rounders and a 5th rounder Holmes beat with the spin move, and only O'Neill held up fairly well against him based on the evidence of the available tweets.

31 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Hernandez is gonna be a liability in pass protection.

At left guard, probably not. He’ll get plenty of help from the center, and he’ll be more responsible for neutralizing the nose tackle. 

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Krauser said:

Bad luck for Holmes, who could use all the practice time he can get as he tries to learn a new DL position in base defense: 

Bad luck indeed. Mental reps will be all the more important now for him. I imagine he should be ready by TC?

• 1 month later...

Rookie fourth-round pick Jalyn Holmes showed up to Vikings camp with a healthy right hand, marking a solid first step in his transition this summer to defensive tackle. The former Ohio State defensive end gained five pounds, up to 290, during his month away from the team.

Two weeks ago, the cast came off Holmes’ hand, allowing him to practice at the start of camp without a hitch. Once the full team reports Friday, Holmes has a chance to compete for an interior rotational spot behind starting defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson.

Holmes: “It’s not what you want, but at the end of the day I’d rather have had that happen in OTAs than in camp, when you’ve got to wear a big club.”

Archived