6th Round Pick (207th Overall): Equanimeous St. Brown [WR; Notre Dame]

Packerraymond

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think it's one thing if they win it outright, but right now I don't see how anyone can have anyone other than Allison right now.

Question is what can't these guys do what Allision can? I don't think he's much better than these guys right now besides having NFL experience. I think J'mon will beat him out ultimately for that 3rd spot, he seems like a smoother route runner and has more speed.

8 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Question is what can't these guys do what Allision can? I don't think he's much better than these guys right now besides having NFL experience. I think J'mon will beat him out ultimately for that 3rd spot, he seems like a smoother route runner and has more speed.

Allison has been in our scheme for the last two years, so despite McCarthy talking about "scrubbing" the offensive system the main principles and concepts are going to be in place.  He's got a heads up in that regard.  We haven't had a Day 3 WR make an impact as a rookie.  It's just too much to expect out of young WRs.  It's not RBs.

6 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

The college to NFL jump is big, more people than not fail in the process. You can't just look at the numbers and the YouTube videos and assume that a late round pick is going to take over.

Geronimo has been with us for 2 years, knows the playbook, has worked with Rodgers. These aren't things to scoff at, and he's going to come in hungry ready to prove that he's better than all then young kids we've drafted the last 2 years. 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Allison has been in our scheme for the last two years, so despite McCarthy talking about "scrubbing" the offensive system the main principles and concepts are going to be in place.  He's got a heads up in that regard.  We haven't had a Day 3 WR make an impact as a rookie.  It's just too much to expect out of young WRs.  It's not RBs.

That's what I'm saying, Allison is really only ahead with experience in the system. Not really concerned that we haven't had a day 3 guy have impact as a rookie since we've always had guys like Adams, Cobb, Nelson, Jones etc. playing ahead of the guys we've drafted. Now that Jordys gone and his spot is open, there's gonna be tons of competition there, don't think Allisons job as the 3rd guy is a lock by any means.

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

That's what I'm saying, Allison is really only ahead with experience in the system. Not really concerned that we haven't had a day 3 guy have impact as a rookie since we've always had guys like Adams, Cobb, Nelson, Jones etc. playing ahead of the guys we've drafted. Now that Jordys gone and his spot is open, there's gonna be tons of competition there, don't think Allisons job as the 3rd guy is a lock by any means.

What exactly do any of those Day 3 WRs have over Allison?  They probably have a bit more promise, but promise only gets you so far.  Right now, Allison will be our starting WR opposite of Adams.  Unless something changes drastically between now and the start of the year, expecting that to change is unrealistic.  Day 3 WRs rarely make an impact on any team, let alone the Packers.

14 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

The college to NFL jump is big, more people than not fail in the process. You can't just look at the numbers and the YouTube videos and assume that a late round pick is going to take over.

Geronimo has been with us for 2 years, knows the playbook, has worked with Rodgers. These aren't things to scoff at, and he's going to come in hungry ready to prove that he's better than all then young kids we've drafted the last 2 years. 

Not 100% saying they are gonna take over, just projecting from what I've seen on film that they have a chance to. 

47 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Again, I think you're expecting a bit too much of our rookie WRs.

Honestly for me it’s more about having an very low opinion of Allison and Davis than it is being high on the rookies.   

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What exactly do any of those Day 3 WRs have over Allison?  They probably have a bit more promise, but promise only gets you so far.  Right now, Allison will be our starting WR opposite of Adams.  Unless something changes drastically between now and the start of the year, expecting that to change is unrealistic.  Day 3 WRs rarely make an impact on any team, let alone the Packers.

All allison is capable of is finding soft spots in zones.  He can't really get open or make contested catches.  He's competent in being where he's supposed to be.

He's gonna lose out to Trevor Davis or Michael Clark easily. 

The rookies will all be given a specific job to focus on, and they will probably platoon them until one of them separates themselves.

1 minute ago, Blink said:

Honestly for me it’s more about having an very low opinion of Allison and Davis than it is being high on the rookies.   

I mean, I've got no issues with people being low on Allison and/or Davis but looking at Day 3 WRs over the year hasn't really produced much as rookies.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=2010&year_max=2017&draft_round_min=4&draft_round_max=7&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&pick_type=overall&pos[]=wr&conference=any&show=all&order_by=default

That's not really a strong argument to make.  For every Stefon Diggs, Jamison Crowder, or Martavis Bryant, there's a dozen Dede Westbrook, Ryan Switzer, or Trent Taylor who are nothing more than #4's on a good day.  Maybe throwing 3 picks at the position increases the odds?  I'm still not expecting much out of any of them.

51 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

My comp was Javon Walker.

I could see this. He seems less 'floppy' than Floyd, but more than Walker. Looks relatively smooth for his size and bulk. Seems sneaky fast. The TD he took to the house vs Stanford looked surprising but effectively fast, for example.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

All allison is capable of is finding soft spots in zones.  He can't really get open or make contested catches.  He's competent in being where he's supposed to be.

The rookies will all be given a specific job to focus on, and they will probably platoon them until one of them separates themselves.

He's also the least likely to make a mistake of all the young WRs.  And McCarthy's been on record as saying he's going to play players who play mistake free football.  Add on the fact that Rodgers doesn't usually trust rookie WRs, and I've got ZERO expectations for our rookie WRs.  I don't think Allison is anything special, but I think he can be serviceable and get us through games.

Just now, incognito_man said:

I could see this. He seems less 'floppy' than Floyd, but more than Walker. Looks relatively smooth for his size and bulk. Seems sneaky fast. The TD he took to the house vs Stanford looked surprising but effectively fast, for example.

I was actually gonna say Justin Hunter.  Better athlete than football player at this point.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Unless something changes drastically between now and the start of the year, expecting that to change is unrealistic.

How is it unrealistic though?  It's not like Allison was a 1000 yard receiver prior to this season, I could see these guys pushing him in camp really easily if anything.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Still don't get the Clark love. He's barely in my top 10 on this squad. He's just a bad pass catcher...

Just now, CWood21 said:

He's also the least likely to make a mistake of all the young WRs.  And McCarthy's been on record as saying he's going to play players who play mistake free football.  Add on the fact that Rodgers doesn't usually trust rookie WRs, and I've got ZERO expectations for our rookie WRs.  I don't think Allison is anything special, but I think he can be serviceable and get us through games.

Yeah, I think you live with a few mistakes, and give the best of the 3 the chance to be the full time 3rd WR at the END of the season when the games start to matter.  It's worth investing the time into playing these guys into shape.  Allison is not going to become much more than he is right now.

I'll take the mistakes if we can find guys who correct them and improve.

Archived