6th Round Pick (207th Overall): Equanimeous St. Brown [WR; Notre Dame]

Packerraymond

Just now, CWood21 said:

I was actually gonna say Justin Hunter.  Better athlete than football player at this point.

Hunter was one that popped in my head, and I was a big Hunter fan but they are different athletes. ESB seems more bulky and effective between the hashes. Hunter was more of a slight, weak glider. Like the Omega version of Moss.

ESB almost seems like the theta version of Fitzgerald a little to me too...

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Whose the #3 WR if they release Allison?  Like it or not, he's probably opening the season up as the other starting boundary WR.

I probably should have qualified that by saying if Clark makes a big leap he's #3. Now that may seem a bit of a stretch, but Allison didn't get a ton of reps on offense, and you can't coach what Clark can do. Not to mention our #3 is going to get a lot less opportunities this year with Graham and a running game. 

I might be dreaming or overly optimistic, but we shall see. Again, if Allison makes the team, I have no issue with it, I just see his upside as very limited. 

18 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

How is it unrealistic though?  It's not like Allison was a 1000 yard receiver prior to this season, I could see these guys pushing him in camp really easily if anything.

Because look at the list of WRs drafted on Day 3, and look how much success they don't have in Year 1.  The list of Day 3 WRs who have success as a rookie are few and far between.  IF the Packers manage to get production out of one of them, it's because they threw enough darts at the board that one of them hit.  Success rate on Day 3 WRs as rookies isn't very high at all.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Because look at the list of WRs drafted on Day 3, and look how much success they don't have in Year 1.  The list of Day 3 WRs who have success as a rookie are few and far between.  IF the Packers manage to get production out of one of them, it's because they threw enough darts at the board that one of them hit.  Success rate on Day 3 WRs as rookies isn't very high at all.

correlation =\= causation

18 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Yeah, I think you live with a few mistakes, and give the best of the 3 the chance to be the full time 3rd WR at the END of the season when the games start to matter.  It's worth investing the time into playing these guys into shape.  Allison is not going to become much more than he is right now.

I'll take the mistakes if we can find guys who correct them and improve.

Unfortunately, those mistakes usually lead to game-changing plays.  You run the wrong route and that's an interception and likely going the other way.  I think you're kidding yourself if you think that Mac is going to live with those mistakes, simply because they have some arbitrary upside in them.  Until they can play well in practice, those 3 aren't getting significant snaps.  And until Rodgers trusts them, he isn't throwing their way.

19 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Hunter was one that popped in my head, and I was a big Hunter fan but they are different athletes. ESB seems more bulky and effective between the hashes. Hunter was more of a slight, weak glider. Like the Omega version of Moss.

ESB almost seems like the theta version of Fitzgerald a little to me too...

Both were HWS specimen, but both were incredibly raw in terms of playing the position.  EBS was asked to go over the middle more than Hunter was, but in terms of skillset and mindset, I'd tend to think that's a bit closer than the Floyd.  He's a better athlete than Floyd was IMO.

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I probably should have qualified that by saying if Clark makes a big leap he's #3. Now that may seem a bit of a stretch, but Allison didn't get a ton of reps on offense, and you can't coach what Clark can do. Not to mention our #3 is going to get a lot less opportunities this year with Graham and a running game. 

I might be dreaming or overly optimistic, but we shall see. Again, if Allison makes the team, I have no issue with it, I just see his upside as very limited. 

I'm not trying to argue that Allison has much upside.  I'm just saying in terms of knowing the playbook and Rodgers' trust level, he's the clear #3 right now.  Now if one of the young WRs play well in camp, than all bets are off.  But right now, I don't see how anyone can project any of them to be the #3 WR.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Unfortunately, those mistakes usually lead to game-changing plays.  You run the wrong route and that's an interception and likely going the other way.  I think you're kidding yourself if you think that Mac is going to live with those mistakes, simply because they have some arbitrary upside in them.  Until they can play well in practice, those 3 aren't getting significant snaps.  And until Rodgers trusts them, he isn't throwing their way.

at least one of them is gonna figure out what to do on the field.  Are they gonna learn 3 positions like greg jennings as a rookie? No.  But one or two of them are gonna be the 4a/4b option behind graham/cobb/adams

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

correlation =\= causation

That's a cop out.  LIS, if one of them hits it's because they threw enough darts at the board that one of them was bound to hit.  Similar to last year with the RBs, between the three picks one of them was bound to hit.  Unfortunately, the success rate of Day 3 WRs isn't as good as RBs.  There's a reason why Day 3 WRs usually don't make an impact.  They're usually lacking in one or multiple areas, and QBs don't trust them.  They fell for a reason.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Fixed. Some people are acting like we took Moore, ESB and MVS 15th, 20th and 30th overall in the draft. These guys are day 3 picks. I just want maybe 2 of them to make the team and maybe 1 to contribute by Week 8 of the season. 

If any of them show anything during the preseason I cant see Gute exposing them to the PS. We just drafted 3 Marques Colstons but with speed. Two will replace Jordy and Janis, the other will push Davis off the roster. From what I hear they love Allison, I think he's safe. Clark has intriguing potential. I cant see them getting rid of a 6'6" WR with promise. Personally I wish they'd convert him to TE, he has good hands but still raw. Think they hang on to him one more year to see what he can develop into.

55 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

The college to NFL jump is big, more people than not fail in the process. You can't just look at the numbers and the YouTube videos and assume that a late round pick is going to take over.

Geronimo has been with us for 2 years, knows the playbook, has worked with Rodgers. These aren't things to scoff at, and he's going to come in hungry ready to prove that he's better than all then young kids we've drafted the last 2 years. 

This is why neither is the answer as our No. 3 (no. 2 outside). It shouldn't be Allison and if you're counting on it being a day 3 draft pick I'd say you havent watched much football because that doesnt happen.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'm not trying to argue that Allison has much upside.  I'm just saying in terms of knowing the playbook and Rodgers' trust level, he's the clear #3 right now.  Now if one of the young WRs play well in camp, than all bets are off.  But right now, I don't see how anyone can project any of them to be the #3 WR.

You are definitely correct! I guess I'm just overly optimistic that one of the 'hoop' players steps up and takes it from him, and thus renders him expendable. Make no mistake, they will have to take it away from him, because on the roster right now, he's clearly #3. 

WRs we've taken in rounds 4+ since 2005:

Craig Bragg (6th)
Corey Rodgers (4th)
David Clowney (5th)
Brett Swain (7th)
Charles Johnson (7th)
Kevin Dorsey (7th)
Jared Abbrederis (5th)
Jeff Janis (7th)
Trevor Davis (5th)
DeAngelo Yancey (5th)
Malachi Dupre (7th)

Not exactly a group of world beaters...

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

at least one of them is gonna figure out what to do on the field.  Are they gonna learn 3 positions like greg jennings as a rookie? No.  But one or two of them are gonna be the 4a/4b option behind graham/cobb/adams

That's not what we're arguing.  The argument is that one of the three is the other starting boundary WR.  That means one of them is jumping Geronimo, Yancey, Clark, etc.  They were all Day 3 picks for a reason, but if you believe you're getting a Day 1 starting WR in the 4th or 6th rounds, I think you're going to be incredibly disappointed.

Just now, Golfman said:

You are definitely correct! I guess I'm just overly optimistic that one of the 'hoop' players steps up and takes it from him, and thus renders him expendable. Make no mistake, they will have to take it away from him, because on the roster right now, he's clearly #3. 

Trust me, I'd LOVE to be wrong on this one and one of them turn out to be a Day 1 starter.  But it's going beyond year and years of history of young WRs being slow to transition.  Geronimo is our #3 WR by default, and if we sign a veteran WR he's probably going to lose his roster spot because of it.  He doesn't offer much upside, and he's got limited ST value.

Archived