6th Round Pick (207th Overall): Equanimeous St. Brown [WR; Notre Dame]

Packerraymond

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Tells you all you need to know about the armchair experts. I think he could play like the #66 player but there are reasonable concerns with this kid. IF he indeed refused to play special teams, that is a major red flag IMO. 

I dont sweat the small stuff.

This kid will be told he has a job to do - in order to get a job. He does it - he's in. He doesnt - he's out. In the NFL its amazingly simple.

He's got no "criminal or incident" history. - so what I see is a talented athlete looking to make a career for himself. HE has everything to lose at this point and I'm confident he's smart enough to realize that.

I'm not worried in the least. I like what I see on tape and hope he can grow into an NFL level performer. I think all the tools are there. 

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Tells you all you need to know about the armchair experts. I think he could play like the #66 player but there are reasonable concerns with this kid. IF he indeed refused to play special teams, that is a major red flag IMO. 

Allison doesn't play special teams either which tells me he may not be a lock if these new kids impress.

17 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Trust me, I'd LOVE to be wrong on this one and one of them turn out to be a Day 1 starter.  But it's going beyond year and years of history of young WRs being slow to transition.  Geronimo is our #3 WR by default, and if we sign a veteran WR he's probably going to lose his roster spot because of it.  He doesn't offer much upside, and he's got limited ST value.

Even Antonio Brown didn't start consistently for almost 3 years.  

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

Refusing to play special teams in college is not a red flag in my book.  I don't agree with it but if he knows he's going to the NFL it isn't all that different than sitting out of the bowl games to preserve health.  I'd like to know when he refused to play STs.  The only thing I can find is a Bob McGinn report and everyone knows Bob McGinn has it in for the Packers.

They grade play only and don't factor in off the field trash. Very good info, iyam since that's all the information any of us really have too.

I'm more concerned with him butting heads with coaches. I get your dad is Mr Universe, but we're playing football, not body building. Looking for two different results. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I dont sweat the small stuff.

This kid will be told he has a job to do - in order to get a job. He does it - he's in. He doesnt - he's out. In the NFL its amazingly simple.

He's got no "criminal or incident" history. - so what I see is a talented athlete looking to make a career for himself. HE has everything to lose at this point and I'm confident he's smart enough to realize that.

I'm not worried in the least. I like what I see on tape and hope he can grow into an NFL level performer. I think all the tools are there. 

And if he wrinkles his nose at playing ST do we really want that kind of player in our locker room?  If so good riddance.

Hard not to like this size/speed guy, isn't it?  Despite everything....he's got that catch radius and that history with Kizer.  I think he and Kitzer will own the garbage time of pre-season games.

I really want 2 of the 3 WR's to stick on the roster and get a shot at real playing time as rookies.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Hard not to like this size/speed guy, isn't it?  Despite everything....he's got that catch radius and that history with Kizer.  I think he and Kitzer will own the garbage time of pre-season games. I really want 2 of the 3 WR's to stick on the roster and get a shot at real playing time as rookies.

I like them all - but acknowledge that highlight reel videos will tend to do that to you :)

Dont know the complete game of any of them and wont till they get it going at the NFL level - but the buy most seem down on the most (MVS) has really nice start/stop cutting ability and jump start speed - at 6'3 or 6'4. How will he catch the ball? We'll see - but I've been waiting on Allison and Davis to evolve as WR - AND THEY CAN STILL DO THAT - but at least I'm hopeful we've got something coming up on the back end now.

Moore looks the most NFL ready now but he's the shortest @ 6'3  :)

I like em all.

Those whispers that say ESB 'lacks heart' are troubling. I suspect the Packers never really liked him, or had him on their radar, until he fell so far he was easily at the top of the heap on their board in round 6..............and they do trust their board, as Gute has said. Courtland Sutton did rather more with less.

St.Brown will get his share of reps in camp.............and he will have plenty of chances to prove doubters (me included) wrong.

I'm still guessing Valdez-Scantling will beat him and Clark out, if they go 5 WRs (though that probably means one of Davis/Allison doen't make the cut).

If the Packers go 6 WRs, ESB has a chance to stick on the 53, imo. This is all pretty wild speculation, negativity based on very little. At least we should be able to learn lots more at TC, and I hope he proves me an idiot. It would be great for him to make a big play and everyone shouts "IMHOTEP" (one of his middle names).

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Because look at the list of WRs drafted on Day 3, and look how much success they don't have in Year 1.  The list of Day 3 WRs who have success as a rookie are few and far between.  IF the Packers manage to get production out of one of them, it's because they threw enough darts at the board that one of them hit.  Success rate on Day 3 WRs as rookies isn't very high at all.

All we have to do is look at last year where we drafted 2 day 3 WRs of almost exactly this mold.  That's now 5 "big, tall, fast" WRs that we've drafted in the last 2 years.  Last year, there was a substantial amount of hype around Malachi Dupre.

I don't believe Allison to be anything special but I have a very hard time believing that any of these day 3 rookies are going to surpass him.  Chances are great that they aren't any better of a prospect than either of the guys we picked last year. 

ESB reminds me a lot of Malachi Dupre who was herald as a first round talent at one point in his college career.  His junior season was blamed on QB play just like ESB's. 

12 minutes ago, SSG said:

All we have to do is look at last year where we drafted 2 day 3 WRs of almost exactly this mold.  That's now 5 "big, tall, fast" WRs that we've drafted in the last 2 years.  Last year, there was a substantial amount of hype around Malachi Dupre. I don't believe Allison to be anything special but I have a very hard time believing that any of these day 3 rookies are going to surpass him.  Chances are great that they aren't any better of a prospect than either of the guys we picked last year. ESB reminds me a lot of Malachi Dupre who was herald as a first round talent at one point in his college career.  His junior season was blamed on QB play just like ESB's.

I dont get into projecting the career path of these guys yet. I'll let them get some NFL experience under them before I give em the thumbs up/down routine. I just like what I see and am glad we're gonna have increased competition at this position because of these guys coming up from the back - and I'm including in that grouping Yancey and Clark.

Allison and Davis are on the bubble. Not that they're in immediate danger of replacement from these guys - cause these guys NFL game isnt set yet - but Allison and Davis will need to improve and refine their games - if they can - which I consider a good thing.

Maybe next year - just maybe - we expend one of those #1's for a top flight WR. Who can say.

Forgotten add on - I always looked at Dupre and winced a bit. He looked very breakable to me but perhaps that was just the CB in me talking. Of this new crop - MVS could use some weight and EQ certainly has the frame to bulk up some "NFL style".

We all know that Allison does not play special teams for us. He has to win the #2 WR spot outright or he will be fighting to stay on the roster. Between him and EstB there's no way the Packers will keep two WRs who does not play special teams, I think they will only tolerate one.

I've been reading that MVS would likely be the guy that replaces Janis at gunner, whether that's true or not I don't know.

I don't know anything about Moore's special teams prowness but If Allison does not get the #2 spot then as the highest draft pick it's probably him winning that job.

1 hour ago, SSG said:

All we have to do is look at last year where we drafted 2 day 3 WRs of almost exactly this mold.  That's now 5 "big, tall, fast" WRs that we've drafted in the last 2 years.  Last year, there was a substantial amount of hype around Malachi Dupre.

I don't believe Allison to be anything special but I have a very hard time believing that any of these day 3 rookies are going to surpass him.  Chances are great that they aren't any better of a prospect than either of the guys we picked last year. 

ESB reminds me a lot of Malachi Dupre who was herald as a first round talent at one point in his college career.  His junior season was blamed on QB play just like ESB's. 

Difference between Yancey/Dupre  and the 3 WRs we drafted this year. 

YAC. 

Neither of those guys could created with the ball in their hands. All 3 WRs Gute drafted this year have the ability to make the first guy miss and create yards. 

Archived