Redskins UDFA Tracker

Thaiphoon

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t have trust in Callahan the way I used to when he first came here. He doesn’t use a FB, the minute we lost DY and that FB clearing the way for Morris our running game got worse and it hasn’t recovered since.

I was excited to see DY get to call out a pick at the draft this year, that was cool.

I’m all about the fullback position too. Think it’s ridiculous to not carry a guy that can play that position at least in short yardage and pitch in on specials. Think that’s more Gruden than Callahan though. 

5 hours ago, mike23md said:

Obviously it is the most important position considering we can't get one to stick. 

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Why is RG more important than LG? I’d see it as the opposite. The left side of the OL always seems like the more improtant side to me.

Having TWill and Scherff playing next to each other would also be amazing, we could run behind them almost every time and gain huge yardage.

It’s more important because teams generally run right more frequently and bootleg right much more frequently. And most importantly, teams generally slide their protection left to help protect the right handed QB’s blind side (and often to give assistance against the opposing team’s best pass rusher), which means the RG is generally left one-on-one in pass pro more frequently. 

This is why most of your elite, and particularly well-rounded, guards play on the right side. Zack Martin, Marshal Yanda, David Decastro, Trai Turner, Kevin Zeitler, Brandon Brooks, TJ Lang, Kyle Long, Richie Incognito, Jahri Evans in his prime, etc. Some outstanding guards play on the left side, but usually that’s either because they’re shifting in from LT (tough to switch sides), they’re mostly a tremendous run blocker, or they joined a team that already had a good RG and didn’t want to mess with that. 

4 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

I’m all about the fullback position too. Think it’s ridiculous to not carry a guy that can play that position at least in short yardage and pitch in on specials. Think that’s more Gruden than Callahan though. 

The only reason it would be Gruden’s fault I saw because he hired Callahan. Gruden did use a FB in 2014 and used DY even more than the Shanahan’s. Callahan didn’t use a FB in Dallas either, they used 2 TEs a lot on run downs, sound familiar?

Look at DYs stats in 2014 before Gruden hired Callahan, and look at Morris too who had 1100 yards rushing. Gruden runs his brothers offense which uses the FB to run the ball, the minute Gruden went from Forester to Callahan as the run game coordinator our run game went downhill. 

DY had his best season for us in 2014, he started his most games of his career with 10.

11 recs, 81 yds and 2 TDs with 3 rushing TDs. DY had 5 TDs in 2014. Then, Callahan is hired and he’s gone and our running game has never been the same since.

56 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Well, except for Quinton Dunbar, Anthony Lanier, DeShazor Everett, Maurice Harris and Robert Kelley right?

I looked up some info on Durant. Apparently he set all kinds of weight room record so at Marshall, he’s a weight room warrior. Clearly he’s got work and development to do in other areas, but it seems there’s something to work with there. At 6’2, 242 pounds he moves around a lot like his cousin Swearinger, he wore the same number at Marshall and in watching his highlights you’d think you were watching Swearinger. Now, he’s a solid tackler and blitzed, but I didn’t see any highlights of him making plays in the passing game but I think eventually with some work he can become a reserve ILB and special teams guy. Kinda reminds me of a Spaight type of player.

Now, Parris and Welsh seem like the two steals of this udfa group for us and that’s good because we need more young competition for roster spots behind Scherff, Roullier and presumably Nsekhe or Franklin at LG. 

Parris is 6’6 and weighed 312 and the combine but he played at 318 during the season.  Via nfl.com, He’s an athletic OT but he’s raw, kinda like Christian I guess but he’s not even that polished. I’d say there’s a chance/thought of moving him inside to guard but at this point he needs a lot of work to where he can be an effective interior run blocker. He plays with his pas level too high and isn’t a good drive blocker - the opposite of Welsh in that way. This is clearly something that Callahan can coach him up on though and he can improve upon. There’s definitely something there to work with.

Now Welsh has been called the steal of the udfa’s, I’m not sure I’d go that far, but this guy is a nasty interior blocker and could definitely develop into a starter in time. 

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-football-sean-welsh-nfl-draft-2018-washington-redskins

He was the highest graded Iowa player last year. He was also rated as one of the top 5 run blocking OL in the big 10. So, clearly these 3 on top of Quinn Banding and Martez Carter have something to offer and may work them way onto the roster as reserves and if not that, they’re definitely practice caliber players that we could develop for a few years.

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Well, except for Quinton Dunbar, Anthony Lanier, DeShazor Everett, Maurice Harris and Robert Kelley right?

I looked up some info on Durant. Apparently he set all kinds of weight room record so at Marshall, he’s a weight room warrior. Clearly he’s got work and development to do in other areas, but it seems there’s something to work with there. At 6’2, 242 pounds he moves around a lot like his cousin Swearinger, he wore the same number at Marshall and in watching his highlights you’d think you were watching Swearinger. Now, he’s a solid tackler and blitzed, but I didn’t see any highlights of him making plays in the passing game but I think eventually with some work he can become a reserve ILB and special teams guy. Kinda reminds me of a Spaight type of player.

Now, Parris and Welsh seem like the two steals of this udfa group for us and that’s good because we need more young competition for roster spots behind Scherff, Roullier and presumably Nsekhe or Franklin at LG. 

Parris is 6’6 and weighed 312 and the combine but he played at 318 during the season.  Via nfl.com, He’s an athletic OT but he’s raw, kinda like Christian I guess but he’s not even that polished. I’d say there’s a chance/thought of moving him inside to guard but at this point he needs a lot of work to where he can be an effective interior run blocker. He plays with his pas level too high and isn’t a good drive blocker - the opposite of Welsh in that way. This is clearly something that Callahan can coach him up on though and he can improve upon. There’s definitely something there to work with.

Now Welsh has been called the steal of the udfa’s, I’m not sure I’d go that far, but this guy is a nasty interior blocker and could definitely develop into a starter in time. 

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-football-sean-welsh-nfl-draft-2018-washington-redskins

He was the highest graded Iowa player last year. He was also rated as one of the top 5 run blocking OL in the big 10. So, clearly these 3 on top of Quinn Banding and Martez Carter have something to offer and may work them way onto the roster as reserves and if not that, they’re definitely practice caliber players that we could develop for a few years.

I don't think Blanding lands on the PS to be honest. Considering we have guys that have been developed and proven like Everett, Blanding is just not as physical or as strong to play as an up S and we have Everett and Swearinger who give us that ability. Blanding is smart, where Everett is not so much, but Everett makes up for it by being all over the field and playing ST's and Blanding would have to outplay Everett there and outplay Apke who was drafted to even have a sniff at the roster. If he makes the PS I would be surprised. 

Out of the list that @Doc Draper put up, I think there are 3 that have a fighting chance to make the 53:

1. Sean Welsh - I had him as high as a 4th round pick. Turtle touched on all his attritbutes, but I think he needed to work on the pass protection better. He could be a solid back up RG to Scherff and that Iowa connection plays out well. If he is able to work on his technique this off season, I think he could land as a back up G and replace guys like Catalina, Kouandjio, and Bergstrom. The other part is that he might be able to transition to C and compete with Rouillier for the job. That would be his best path to making the team and being an outright starter. 

2. Timon Parris - A small school product that I think a lot of teams had their eye on, but in respect to his ability, he is raw and teams saw more potential in other prospects. I don't expect him to make the final 53 as much as I expect Walsh to, but Parris could end up on the PS and be that stash for if/when an injury happens. He needs to get stronger and more agile in the run game and just keep his center of gravity low. He has the ability to take the initial punch and reset but having a lower base will help him. Callahan can coach that. A solid back up in a few years with some work. 

3. Simmie Cobbs Jr. - When I mention his name, I always get the reference back to his one handed catch on the sideline against Ohio State. You have to watch more. You have to watch other games and see what he does best, at what times, and what he does against CB's in different situations. He has 1st round talent. No doubt. But the rest of the image is a bit blurry. HE is quicker than he is fast. Uses his body extremely well and usually wins any jump balls. Has strong hands and can fight off defenders grabbing. He does need to work on his route running and sell routes better. He needs to learn how to lower his hips into the break to have a smoother transition and move in and out of the break. 

I think a WR combination of:

Docston

Crowder

Richardson

Quinn

Cobbs

Robert Davis

is a solid WR depth chart with a ton of potential.  

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Quin Blanding . I like the signing but 4.63 speed-UGH 

That’s why I hope he’s our next Kyshoen Jarret type DB. Jarrett was smaller than Blanding, but Jarrett was a jack of all trades and had a very high football IQ just like Blanding.

15 hours ago, e16bball said:

It’s more important because teams generally run right more frequently and bootleg right much more frequently. And most importantly, teams generally slide their protection left to help protect the right handed QB’s blind side (and often to give assistance against the opposing team’s best pass rusher), which means the RG is generally left one-on-one in pass pro more frequently. 

This is why most of your elite, and particularly well-rounded, guards play on the right side. Zack Martin, Marshal Yanda, David Decastro, Trai Turner, Kevin Zeitler, Brandon Brooks, TJ Lang, Kyle Long, Richie Incognito, Jahri Evans in his prime, etc. Some outstanding guards play on the left side, but usually that’s either because they’re shifting in from LT (tough to switch sides), they’re mostly a tremendous run blocker, or they joined a team that already had a good RG and didn’t want to mess with that. 

Beat me to it. Also there's a psychological side to this as well. If your G is getting beat and your QB has about 2 seconds to throw, he's more likely to rush his throw if he is actually seeing the G get beat and the rusher bearing down. So with right-handed QB's that means the RG needs to be the better Guard.

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Beat me to it. Also there's a psychological side to this as well. If your G is getting beat and your QB has about 2 seconds to throw, he's more likely to rush his throw if he is actually seeing the G get beat and the rusher bearing down. So with right-handed QB's that means the RG needs to be the better Guard.

Makes sense, watch how they affected Cousins the last 2 years whenever Scherff got hurt his shoulder vs Det & last year when he sprained his knee. Being replaced by Kouandjio vs Detroit and Catalina lst year.

Archived