Switzer traded to Oakland for DT Jihad Ward

textaz03

14 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Sorry @DaBoys :P

But Switz one game in week 17 is not enough reason to keep him in a crowded WR room. His routes were quick and sharp but his eyes never followed the play properly. He could very well develop this, but Beasley - despite a down year - is a far better option for right now, while Austin's speed gives him a leg up in the return game.

And know what? Ward has never lived up to expectations, but theres a lot of promise to what he brings to the table. Could end up being, actually, a good trade for both teams if both players develop.

Yeah Switzer sucks so bad Bisaccia jumped and traded for him now that he's in Oak.  You are in one thread claiming Austin might not make the team because Switz and in this one saying Switz got traded because Austin is better. C'mon. 

15 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Yeah Switzer sucks so bad Bisaccia jumped and traded for him now that he's in Oak.  You are in one thread claiming Austin might not make the team because Switz and in this one saying Switz got traded because Austin is better. C'mon. 

I don't think Austin is an upgrade over Switzer in my opinion. Switzer is  alot stronger and runs much better routes then Austin. Austin might be a better PR returner but thats about it. They want use Austin as a third down back apparently which i don't think will work. Austin can run some jet sweeps, some WR screens but your not handing the ball to him out of the I or single back set.. Really don't know much about Ward other then Marinelli liked him and he has been a big disappointment with the Raiders. If anyone can turn this kid around it it Marinelli.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Honestly boys, Ward is very bad. So much so that he was often inactive on game day. He's been an enormous bust. Maybr a change of scenery and better coaching will turn him into a different player. 

Rod has that covered.

37 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

No no not at all what im saying in either thread

First what I was saying about Austin cracking the roster was the investment made into Switz giving him an edge in who gets a roster spot

Second, Switz's real film was in one game and in relatively limited role. He looked good and showed promise. But giving me a choice between Beas and Switz, i take Beas - hes proven and for this team in this immediate situation, Beas is just better all around. 2 years from now? Maybe no longer the case, Beas getting older and Switz getting better. But for right now? Beas for sure. 

And if you are comparing pure return skills? Switz was cool. But Austin is better.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

I hate this. Switzer showed more promise in the slot in week 17 than Beasley did all year. 

I swear it's one step forward one step back for these guys calling the shots. 

One step forward one step back. One good season followed by one bad season followed by one good season followed again by a bad one, and paired with a slew of 8-8 seasons.

Let's cut Dez to save $8M then spend a 3rd round pick a WR and $6M on Hurns.

Let's trade a 6th for Austin and get rid our our 4th round pick from just last year.

Didn't Switzer play against backups during Week 17? I don't think that's a good judge of his skills. But overall I agree with you:

Why cut Dez in April to save 8 million this year? If they had cut Dez in March, those savings could've gotten us an impact FA (like Watkins or Robinson).

Why give up on your 4th round pick after only one year? We all know that it takes at least a couple of years for WRs to learn and produce at a high rate.

If you wanted a DT, why not draft one? Surely there was one in the draft that could be just as good (if not better) than Jihad Ward.

One step forward. One step back. This reeks of another Benson Mayowa situation. But the front office must really trust Marinelli.

2 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Didn't Switzer play against backups during Week 17? I don't think that's a good judge of his skills. But overall I agree with you:

Why cut Dez in April to save 8 million this year? If they had cut Dez in March, those savings could've gotten us an impact FA (like Watkins or Robinson).

Why give up on your 4th round pick after only one year? We all know that it takes at least a couple of years for WRs to learn and produce at a high rate.

If you wanted a DT, why not draft one? Surely there was one in the draft that could be just as good (if not better) than Jihad Ward.

This reeks of another Benson Mayowa situation. But the front office must really trust Marinelli.

Ward is someone with a plenty of upside but for whatever the reason it did not work out in Oakland. Heck of a story that this kid is in the NFL.

14 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

One step forward. One step back. This reeks of another Benson Mayowa situation. But the front office must really trust Marinelli.

Couple things -

Rod has actually completely revamped his play calling style and its hard not to trust him. For his flass, and they are plentiful, he is a damn good coach with a knack for both play design and teaching a defensive linemen. 

Wards biggest issue has been coaching and scheme. He is not a multi read guy, no reason he should have been played as a 5 tech end or forced onto the nose, and when he got chances as an underman, it was really limited. Its stunted him. Rod will put him in a better chance to do what he does best.

If Ward turns out to be a solid contributor, you cant argue with the swap. Switz has a lot of shift to him and potential but he still isnt polished enough to fill a big role. Ward, similar situation really. But Ward has a bigger chance to get on the field at DT than Switz at WR.

29 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Didn't Switzer play against backups during Week 17? 

And we scored 6 points. Those backups did a number on us. Switz looked good though. He's young. A drafted rookie from the 4th round last year, and the coach that worked with him the most just traded for him. He's also on a surprisingly short short short list of players who have returned a punt for a TD wearing a star. Idk maybe He's nothing, and maybe this Ward guy who was a former 2nd round pick will blossom under Rod. Most do.

3 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Bad things happened when we got Switz involved. I understand why people are disappointed, but he wasn’t good. 

I liked Switz. He had very good vision on the return. Just made a rookie flop he gained notoriety for. And his routes were pretty smooth for a young kid. But, again, he was not as polished as Beas..and he would not see the field nearly as often as Ward will. 

4 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

We have/had an overload at WR. Though we made that mess. But we don't know if the Raiders make this trade for Beasely. (Contract maybe?)

The overload is a GOOD THING

Remember Stephen Jones said that they want to create competition

well they did that. Wilson and Gallup have a lot of pros working for them. Brown was raw but has been coached up for two years now. Lenoir has all the tools you scour for to build upon. Austin has the speed experience and versatility. Well...now you have a really good group of young guys fighting to earn their chance. It can only be good for the cowboys.

My other concer is next year we could lose Beasley, Thompson and Austin as they are all free agents, with Hurns only having 1 year left on his contract.

Hopefully Gallup and Wilson step up and are worth keeping around.

Archived