Evaluating & Projecting The Roster

Heimdallr

4 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Treadwell is a starting WR on this team and you don't think he's worth a roster spot?

Yeah, I know. I would be shocked if the team cut Treadwell, but yet I haven't seen anything from him to make me think he is worth a roster spot. He may be a starting WR on this team but I do not think he deserves it. His production has been terrible and while it has been better this preseason I think there are a number of WRs that could have better production. Kendall Wright, who has done nothing this preseason, is one of the ones that I think would be more productive in that spot. Overall, I am pretty down on all the WRs behind the top two aside from Beebe who has measurables that will limit his upside. WR is a position that I would be looking at cuts from other teams very closely. The team has to keep someone and I am sure Treadwell will be one of them. Wright too.

If there was an over under line for Treadwell this year at 600 yards and 4 TDs I would take the under for yards for sure. TDs I would also take the under on but with a lot less comfort. If I was setting the lines myself I would probably say 350 yards and 1.5 TDs -- a huge improvement for him.

I may be undervaluing Kearse as a gunner. I'll have to watch back the punt coverage units tomorrow from the preseason games this year. As a whole the punt coverage has been scary. I am confident that it will be straightened out when Priefer isn't trying out new guys. Hill really did look good returning kicks/punts today. Prior to that I would have been in a seemingly small minority guessing he would be cut. Given the 4th game, and aside from that tackle he missed on the run play, I now think the team should keep Hill on the roster. I would rather see him returning kicks than risking Mike Hughes taking an injury.

In the Minnesota Vikings’ preseason finale, Sloter went 11-for-15 with 130 yards and a nice back-shoulder touchdown pass to receiver Brandon Zylstra. He finished the preseason with 41 completions on 56 attempts with four touchdowns and zero interceptions. While Mike Zimmer said there is no competition for the No. 2 quarterback role, Sloter has done everything he possibly could to prove worthy of their spot as a developmental and in-case-of-emergency quarterback. He even added an 11-yard scramble against the Tennessee Titans.

Zimmer: “I thought he was better tonight than last week. He did better in the huddle, he was better at communicating the plays, he was better with clock management, knowing when the play clock was running down, I thought all those things were much better tonight than it was last week.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/08/sloter-makes-strong-case-mr-mankato-award-vikings-final-preseason-game/

Cousins has rarely missed time due to injury.  Siemian has not shown much in his opportunities.  If it were me, and I know I don't make personal decisions for the Vikings, but if it were me I think I'd roll the dice, cut Siemian and go with Sloter as my primary back up while he was being "developed."

6 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Cousins has rarely missed time due to injury.  Siemian has not shown much in his opportunities.  If it were me, and I know I don't make personal decisions for the Vikings, but if it were me I think I'd roll the dice, cut Siemian and go with Sloter as my primary back up while he was being "developed."

I can't do that with this offensive line.  If they were proven to be an adequate offensive line, I'd consider it.

Just now, CriminalMind said:

If Cousins goes down, Siemen aint taking us anywhere ... so might as well run with the high potential (Sloter) then the no potential (Siemen)

Sloter isn't ready. Siemian isn't great, but he gives us a better chance to limp to a decent season.  We had this same discussion with Keenum and Heinicke last year after a poor preseason for Case.

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

Sloter isn't ready. Siemian isn't great, but he gives us a better chance to limp to a decent season.  We had this same discussion with Keenum and Heinicke last year after a poor preseason for Case.

Siemian was not good, at all, this preseason. But he’s got 20+ games worth of film to fall back on. Siemian isn’t going to win you games, but he’ll be able to manage them. 

Listening to PA, he was still talking about “a feeling” that the Vikings could make another trade for another o-lineman. I can’t help but wonder if he didn’t get wind of a possible trade involving Alexander, but that trade has stalled with his ankle injury. 

Trading Alexander for a pick makes no sense, but if they can swing him, or Sherels, for offensive line help I'd consider it pretty seriously.

Sherels being on the block makes me think that he's a cut if they don't trade him.

I think they should keep Alexander and move on from Sherels. Two more years of a young guy who's been improving and might yet end up as a starter (if one of the top 3 guys gets hurt) vs a special teams role player. 

10 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Trading Alexander for a pick makes no sense, but if they can swing him, or Sherels, for offensive line help I'd consider it pretty seriously.

Sherels being on the block makes me think that he's a cut if they don't trade him.

So they are sold on Beebe or Hughes being our return guys?

Archived