2018 Draft Recap Thread

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, holyghost said:

I've no idea how the bolded statement is relevant when talking about Townsend and Ejiofor. You don't know that Hall won't be at the nose on passing downs. And if he isn't, well then it makes 2 guys we drafted at the slot you say Ejiofor fits in. Which makes it even less useful. And I think 2 rush DTs is all we carry, so if we already drafted 2 then are we going to draft a guy to literally trash can him? 

Hall and Hurst are 3T and Ejiofor is a Base DE who can move inside on passing downs.  You would remove your NT and bump him inside next to Hurst or Hall.  It would be part of the rotation.  Jelly would be next to Hall or Hurst in our Base D.  A better argument against me would be MEJ and Carradine being on the team.

On 5/9/2018 at 1:53 AM, #39 Fan said:

What’s up Raiders community!! Vegas Dweller here (Rams fan at heart), but I’m also on the PSL list to become a season ticket holder for Raiders football! I’ve been following the team more closely since the news of the team coming to Vegas, I’m sure one day in the future that my love for the Raiders will overtake my being a ‘Rams fan’. Looking forward to following along with you all, and to the coming seasons of Raiders football. Always had a soft spot for the Raiders in years past, a good friend of mine is die hard silver and Black, and through the bleak years we’d each watch the other sides games and share in the suffering. 9_9 I worked throughout most of this years draft, but followed as best as I could. I hope to attend a draft weekend here in Vegas in the not too distant future as the new Raiders stadium plays host to the weekends activities. 

Take care guys, and best of luck this season, I’ll be following along in the Ether. Go Rams, Go Raiders

Welcome to the dark side!

Rounds 5 to 7 I just trust the staff because it's really a crap shoot. That being said. If no punters had been taken my money is we take Townsend regardless. I think the Reggie family connection moved him up the board of you know what I'm saying. As far as the who at what position argument. I agree punter is way way down on that list. But he is a Raider now so he's my guy.

19 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Hall and Hurst are 3T and Ejiofor is a Base DE who can move inside on passing downs.  You would remove your NT and bump him inside next to Hurst or Hall.  It would be part of the rotation.  Jelly would be next to Hall or Hurst in our Base D.  A better argument against me would be MEJ and Carradine being on the team.

Not that I want to go on arguing, you have your point. But it sounds like you're talking about 10 plays a game at most. IF, big IF, the guy even makes the team.

MEJ and Carradine are on the team. Hurst and Hall seem physically qualified to take an occasional snap as base DE on run downs. Qualified to be 3t. And qualified to potentially slide to NT on passing downs for an occasional snap. Mack has slid inside on passing downs. These are 10 snaps for some rookie which can easily be spread around to any number of players. 

If you were up in arms because you thought we should grab RB then I'd partially agree. But we need an heir apparent feature back, unlikely to be found in the 5th. If you said LB, sure. But we've been down that road a number of times now. If you said WR (Brown has been mentioned) I'd say where exactly is that guy going to get snaps? In the 5th I just don't get it. We don't have the kind of room to keep around late round picks that we used to have. Victor has a shot making the team because he's a LB and we're very weak there. Ateman has little shot. But he fills a small role we don't have that much of - red zone big WR. It's a very narrow role. Same thing for a guy like Poggi or Warren UDFAs. Their shot to make this team is within a narrowly defined role. Poggi - smash fullback. Warren - short yardage ala Crockett. I fully expect our gameplans to revert to some degree to the way personnel was used the first time around under Gruden. Which is much more clearly defined roles for more clearly defined player types. Just not sure where Ejiofor fits into any of that considering how many other (better?) players we have that could theoretically take whatever scrap snaps might have been available for him.

On 29/04/2018 at 5:46 PM, minutemancl said:

Well I am flattered. I planned on doing a detailed breakdown of the Giants offseason over the next few weeks in the Giants forum.

As far as the Raiders, it was definitely the most interesting draft this year. I expected Gruden to make some goofy decisions, and he certainly did, especially early on. But, the critics are right when they say the Raiders probably had the best day 3. The Hurst situation is well documented, but I really like the Ateman, Parker, and Townsend picks as well. There are lots of boom or bust potential picks in this draft. It is probably the 2nd most volatile draft behind the Bills; it is at least top-5. Tom Cable is a big phony, so until he is gone, I don't think Miller or Parker have a chance. I like Parker more than Kolton Miller as far as succeeding in the NFL. 

There is stuff to really like, and a few things to really hate. Ultimately, it comes down to how well you think your coaching staff can perform and get the most out of some of these talented but raw players. They ended strong and got a lot of value on day 3, so its definitely worth looking at in a hopeful light. 

Just wondering the reasons behind the Tom Cable comments? I thought he was developing Fant decently enough but lacked talent on the OL overall in Seattle (I may be wrong there though as I only have limited knowledge of the Seahawks) he certainly had a really good run game and decent pass blocking last time he was here and was the only guy really to use the OL and play to McFadden's strengths in his time here.

15 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Just wondering the reasons behind the Tom Cable comments? I thought he was developing Fant decently enough but lacked talent on the OL overall in Seattle (I may be wrong there though as I only have limited knowledge of the Seahawks) he certainly had a really good run game and decent pass blocking last time he was here and was the only guy really to use the OL and play to McFadden's strengths in his time here.

Actually that was Hue Jackson.

21 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:
15 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Actually that was Hue Jackson.

You're right! 

28 minutes ago, Geezy said:

i don't get the Cable hate. He made our OL respectable with scrubs, and made Justin Fargas an 1k rusher. He easily has the most talent to work with hes had in his career. 

Maybe it was Kiffin or Knapp.  You can not say Cable made it happen any more than you can say Kiffin or Knapp.  Fargas was just a crap RB on a crap team.  Fargas' peak is very similar to Isaiah Crowell's production over the past four years.  Maybe we should hire their O-line coach.  I want coaches that can get production on good teams because that is what I want from my team.  Not good players or coaches on bad teams.

43 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Maybe it was Kiffin or Knapp.  You can not say Cable made it happen any more than you can say Kiffin or Knapp.  Fargas was just a crap RB on a crap team.  Fargas' peak is very similar to Isaiah Crowell's production over the past four years.  Maybe we should hire their O-line coach.  I want coaches that can get production on good teams because that is what I want from my team.  Not good players or coaches on bad teams.

I highly doubt that Knapp had anything to do with the run game’s success. Cable also had a lot of success in atl prior to coming to Oakland. It could be argued that he only had failure in SEA. 

22 hours ago, Darbsk said:

You're right! 

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, Geezy said:

i don't get the Cable hate. He made our OL respectable with scrubs, and made Justin Fargas an 1k rusher. He easily has the most talent to work with hes had in his career. 

Likely due to the poor OL play in Seattle.  There were good years there too though. But honestly one of the most vivid things that pops in my head when I think about the Seahawks is Russell Wilson constantly running for his life.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:08 AM, Silver&Black88 said:

giphy.gif

Likely due to the poor OL play in Seattle.  There were good years there too though. But honestly one of the most vivid things that pops in my head when I think about the Seahawks is Russell Wilson constantly running for his life.

As long as we don't follow the way they did things it should be completely different.  Cable is not going to mold late round picks into good players, that's what they tried to do.  Seattle was fine until they traded Unger and let Okung walk.  If we get rid of KO and Hudson and plug in some 5th rounders, then I'll get concerned.

4 hours ago, true2form said:

As long as we don't follow the way they did things it should be completely different.  Cable is not going to mold late round picks into good players, that's what they tried to do.  Seattle was fine until they traded Unger and let Okung walk.  If we get rid of KO and Hudson and plug in some 5th rounders, then I'll get concerned.

This is a good point. For all the criticism Cable gets here, he was handicapped by the lack of retention of their better OL FAs. He also did a pretty good job in turning Veldheer from a small school prospect with potential into a solid starter. I'm not particularly enamoured by him as our coach but I would say that it's difficult to say with absolute certainty that he will do a bad job as there were mitigating circumstances in Seattle. 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:14 PM, drfrey13 said:

Kiffin or Knapp didn't run the OL. Cable wasn't the problem when he was here, he had no talent to work with hard to judge by his stints in Oakland or Seattle. Like I said, this is easily the most talented group hes worked with, id at least wait to see what it looks like before bashing him. but a lot of people just like to complain.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:08 PM, Silver&Black88 said:

giphy.gif

The Seahawks didn't have a ton of talent to work with. Cable's always had to make Chicken Salad out of Chicken Shhh

Archived