2019 NFL Draft Prospects

D82

16 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I've seen every college game N'Keal Harry has played in, and agree with this assessment, though I think you may underrate him a little bit with your 2nd round grade.

In my opinion, he is a better receiver than Cortland Sutton coming out, and he'll be 2 years younger than Sutton was at draft time. Unless this WR class ends up being really deep, I have a hard time believing that he'll make it out of the first round. 

Given how deep QBs, DTs, DEs, and WRs are looking, I can completely see talent fall by the wayside. TE is also looking deep, so you can probably find a very good one later as well.

Decent draft for us, honestly.

I think we should also be looking at a couple of CB's in this draft too like Kris Boyd if he's available and no one else we like is.

With the way our defense and the front 7 has been showing. Or I should say the lack of the front 7 and more like front 6. We should invest into a nickle corner. Someone like a Casey Heyward who can keep the deep threats and slot guys from burning us on a 3rd down. But we've been having a tremendous amount of success with just Smith and LVE covering the second level. Their speed is all-pro and even Watson was not able to burn us for 1st downs like he has been able to do with other teams.

21 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Just a few prospects I hope we are keeping an eye on.

WR

Denzel Mims-    Baylor            6-3     210      4.4   Round 1 talent

I want this guy on our team. A long striding speedster with possession capabilities, he needs some refinement and a little bit of work on his hands and concentration but this dude has legit No.1 potential that would not only add a deep threat to our offense but also a real No.1 receiving option. Reminds me of Charles Rogers back from 2002.

Colin Johnson- Texas             6-5       220     4.5    Round 1 talent

Only reason why I have him below Mims is because he disappears when he's needed most. Drops too many passes for my taste but some of that may have been the QB issue at Texas because he has been improving in his reliability in the last few weeks. H/e a true monster could even produce with a RB at the QB position like when Calvin Johnson played at G-Tech. Still though, he is a legit option for us and may be selected higher then Mims. But in all honesty I think Mims will be a better pro.

N’Keal Harry- Arizona St         6-3    225     4.5    Round 2 Talent

I've heard this guy be compared to Larry Fitzgerald. To me he is more physically gifted and reminds me of Roy Williams in physical and game play talent. Very strong and dangerous after the catch. He could replace the hole that Dez left and be much of the same effectiveness.

Lil'Jordan Humphrey- Texas               6-3       220     4.5    Round 2 talent

Jack of all trades when it comes to receiving. There isn't a route this guy can't run on offense, he is big, he is fast, and he is sure handed. He has impressed me most as a posession receiver but what really sold me on him was all the formations and trick plays Texas was using this guy in. He would be by far and away Dak's best friend if we decided to keep him and if we have a chance to get him and Mims I say we pounce on both in the draft. Mims, Humphrey and Gallup would make a very nice lineup in the years to come.

Deebo Samuel-S.Carolina               5-11     210      4.5      Round 2 Talent

DJ Moore clone so if we missed on him in the previous draft we could still have a shot at him in this one. I don't think he has true No.1 capability but like Humphrey he has the ability to run most any routes we want him too. He has strong hands and the ability to make plays after the catch.

Jaylen Smith- Louisville                   6-2      220      4.5       Round 3  Talent

Good top end speed for such a big guy and able to be a deep threat. Somewhat limited in his routes and doesn't run them to perfection tending to round them off. Still though he has some raw talent that can be worked with.

Ahmmon Richards- Miami           6-1    195      4.5      Round 3 Talent

Sure footed with good hands and can explode from the LOS. Most certainly can line up as the No.2 in any offense he steps into. But could be a servicable No.1 if we need it. His game speed will be better then what he runs at the combine I think.

J.J. Arcega-Whiteside- Stanford      6-2    220     4.6      Round 3 talent

Not as athletic as some people think but does alot of things well and is not limited in his route tree. Sure handed posession receiver but is not the type of player we need in our offense right now. Is more depth type talent then starter talent and all we have right now is depth if you can even call it that.

TE

Jace Sternberger- Texas A&M    6-4    250     4.6       Round 3 Talent

A guy who can stretch the seems and burn the defense if they are not careful. Not a true deepthreat like Gronk but he's much better then anyone we have right now on the roster by far. He has starter capability and pro-bowl potential.

Zach Gentry- Michigan                6-6     250      4.7         Round 5 Talent

Big guy with the ability to run a number of different routes. Not overly athletic, infact may be a little limited in that regard but is capable of snatching the ball out of high areas and could be a redzone threat if used right.

Sean McKeon- Michigan           6-5      245      4.7        Round 6 Talent

Not as big as Gentry and has similar athletic talent but IMO runs better routes then Gentry although he will probably be drafted lower.

Good list. Richards retired though - super unfortunate. Neck injury

I just wanted to use this space to say that, assuming we end up picking in the Top 10, using that pick on a receiver would be stupid- perhaps monumentally so.

I haven't really studied these guys in copious detail, but there doesn't appear to be any consensus on who the best of the bunch is. It's not like this is 2011 with Green and Julio being hyped since high school. It feels like any one of 5 or 6 could be the best of the bunch, so why assume the risk of taking the first one? Better off trading down or waiting till Day 2, IMO. I'd rather us continue to add to the defensive line with all the blue chippers there and our litany of injury, suspension, and contractual issues. Nothing wrong with building on your strengths- better that than being overly reactionary.

I could be wrong, maybe Harry or Metclaff or Johnson is that dude. I'm just already sick of mocks that have us taking AJ Brown at like 7th overall. I mean, am I missing something, or is that guy clearly a #2 caliber possession receiver at the next level?

18 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I just wanted to use this space to say that, assuming we end up picking in the Top 10, using that pick on a receiver would be stupid- perhaps monumentally so.

I haven't really studied these guys in copious detail, but there doesn't appear to be any consensus on who the best of the bunch is. It's not like this is 2011 with Green and Julio being hyped since high school. It feels like any one of 5 or 6 could be the best of the bunch, so why assume the risk of taking the first one? Better off trading down or waiting till Day 2, IMO. I'd rather us continue to add to the defensive line with all the blue chippers there and our litany of injury, suspension, and contractual issues. Nothing wrong with building on your strengths- better that than being overly reactionary.

I could be wrong, maybe Harry or Metclaff or Johnson is that dude. I'm just already sick of mocks that have us taking AJ Brown at like 7th overall. I mean, am I missing something, or is that guy clearly a #2 caliber possession receiver at the next level?

There isn't a receiver in this draft that's worth a top ten pick. Now if we traded down and picked up additional picks, ok...might be good with taking a WR...but that would then assume we passed on all the DL talent that would likely be available, which would infuriate me.

1 hour ago, D82 said:

There isn't a receiver in this draft that's worth a top ten pick. Now if we traded down and picked up additional picks, ok...might be good with taking a WR...but that would then assume we passed on all the DL talent that would likely be available, which would infuriate me.

I have to agree with you on this matter, if Deionte Thompson declares this year I would target him here and get my WR in the 2nd. round very strong draft at wide receiver spot. If the Cowboys keep losing up to the trade dead line try and pick up extra picks next year by trading players like Sean Lee ( china doll, very fragile but a very intelligent player a playoff team might bite on trading for him)

14 minutes ago, cowboysdreamer said:

I have to agree with you on this matter, if Deionte Thompson declares this year I would target him here and get my WR in the 2nd. round very strong draft at wide receiver spot. If the Cowboys keep losing up to the trade dead line try and pick up extra picks next year by trading players like Sean Lee ( china doll, very fragile but a very intelligent player a playoff team might bite on trading for him)

I think we end up signing Thomas in free agency...so don't see us taking a safety in the first round. 

2 hours ago, D82 said:

Yeah it kind of reminds me of 2016, where the primary debate was Doctson vs. Treadwell, both of whom went in the 15-25 range alongside Coleman and Fuller. Skip forward 2.5 years and second round pick Michael Thomas is miles ahead of the rest of his class.

Obviously it's disingenuous to anecdotally say "Well Player X went in this round so that means we can get just as good of a player there" but I think it's relatively true with receivers. It's the deepest position at every level of the sport. AB, Thielen, Diggs, Tyreek, Baldwin, all 5th round or later- you could argue that's 5 of the Top 15- not sure what other position that's true of.

3 hours ago, D82 said:

Obviously never reach, but then trade down like you said. But if Dallas doesn't come a way with some real offensive firepower, expect more of the same BS.

QB Watch...

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Steven Montez 26/47 170 3.6 0 1 23.3

Not a good day for Montez in lose vs USC. He added 9 yds on 9 carries as well, w/ a long of 19yds. Sacked 4 times. 

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Dwayne Haskins 33/44 412 9.4 3 0 77.5

Another really solid day from Haskins. idk if he declares, but he should be on everyone's radar

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Drew Lock 13/26 142 5.5 1 2 8.2

Miserable day for Lock against #1 Bama. This may not be a horrible thing though if you're interested in a QB. Lock hasn't been as good as last season by any stretch, but he's plenty talented, and likely drops in draft. 

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Justin Herbert 18/32 202 6.3 2 0 57.7

Not a great day for Hebert either, but no turnovers and a win for his team vs #7 Washington. 

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

QB Watch...

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Steven Montez 26/47 170 3.6 0 1 23.3

Not a good day for Montez in lose vs USC. He added 9 yds on 9 carries as well, w/ a long of 19yds. Sacked 4 times. 

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Dwayne Haskins 33/44 412 9.4 3 0 77.5

Another really solid day from Haskins. idk if he declares, but he should be on everyone's radar

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Drew Lock 13/26 142 5.5 1 2 8.2

Miserable day for Lock against #1 Bama. This may not be a horrible thing though if you're interested in a QB. Lock hasn't been as good as last season by any stretch, but he's plenty talented, and likely drops in draft. 

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Justin Herbert 18/32 202 6.3 2 0 57.7

Not a great day for Hebert either, but no turnovers and a win for his team vs #7 Washington. 

A couple of bad games doesn't bother me. If we are looking to draft a QB but go 8-8 again that could be beneficial.

Archived