Sign in to follow this  
dll2000

What would you have done different?

Posted (edited)

Below is what I would have done different from Bears.  I'm not going to go deep into draft, because I haven't looked at that many guys. 

My draft class through 2 in 2018 would have been very similar to Bears, but instead of Smith I would have Edmunds and Landry.  

1.  Tremaine Edmunds - I love Roquan Smith, but give me the fast, huge monster with the high ceiling over the smaller stud.  

2. Harold Landry - Bends likes rubber and super fast first step.  Better than any edge rusher Bears have and 2nd best edge rusher in the draft.  Medicals may have pushed me away too.  Who knows.

3. James Daniels.  Already a thread on him. 

4. Anthony Miller. Ditto.  I think Oliver is/was the better value at this slot, but Miller fills a greater need.  

Let me start by saying I really like Bears first 3 picks.  I think Roquan Smith was one of 5 or 6 best players in draft and I think Daniels is arguably best center in draft even though Bears said they are playing him at guard.  Miller was my favorite receiver after Calvin Ridley so I am happy with that pick too. 

Here is how I got there: 

3 teams traded up all around Bears.  I would have made a deal with one of those teams.  I said from start if forced to pick at 8 I would take Edmunds, but I wanted to trade down for Landry and pick up extra picks.  Hard to know what deal I could have made not being in a war room.  I am going to assume same thing as what other teams actually did.  I also know there is a butterfly effect when I do something different.  None of this matters anyway so calm down.

I would have made the Buffalo trade down because I would have took the first one I could since it was my plan from the start.   This is assuming of course I could have, but this is fantasy land at this point anyway.     I think it is an okay assumption.  TB was not going to pick a QB and Buffalo could have got their QB one slot cheaper by dealing with me.  I trump them.   Only way TB wins is if they scare Buf into thinking someone else is looking to trade ahead of them and that team covets Allen and not Rosen.

So in my fantasy world I now have 12, 53 and 56.

Plan in my head right at time of trade is to take Landry at 12.  However, when my pick comes at 12 low and behold Edmunds is still on the board.  I take Tremaine Edmunds at 12.

Draft is going along and nobody is taking Landry because of medicals.   I am still looking to trade back into late first to get Landry.  I'm not giving up a 1.

For this scenario I am stuck with teams that actually made trades.   I am offering 53 and 56 and nobody wants them for their first as they all got better deals.  

Low and behold Landry falls to me at 39 without me giving up picks.  Its my lucky day.  I take Harold Landry at 39.  

I said on the thread after first round I wanted Landry, Hernandez or Oliver with Bears at 39.  However, once we get Landry I really want Daniels to fix the interior of the line and corner is not as dire.   Daniels and Oliver are comparable talents.  

I make trade Titans made, except I take Daniels rather than Landry at 49.  I give up 53 and 56 - that is much more than Titans gave up to move there.  So it is realistic that they would jump at that.  We can't know if Daniels would have lasted another couple picks, but I think he would have.  Cowboys may have been next team to take him, but they wanted a player to be able to play tackle or guard.  

Now we are back in reality.  I take Miller same as Bears with same deal.  

Edited by dll2000
punctuation

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Below is what I would have done different from Bears.  I'm not going to go deep into draft, because I haven't looked at that many guys. 

My draft class through 2 in 2018 would have been very similar to Bears, but instead of Smith I would have Edmunds and Landry.  

1.  Tremaine Edmunds - I love Roquan Smith, but give me the fast, huge monster with the high ceiling over the smaller stud.  

2. Harold Landry - Bends likes rubber and super fast first step.  Better than any edge rusher Bears have and 2nd best edge rusher in the draft.  Medicals may have pushed me away too.  Who knows.

3. James Daniels.  Already a thread on him. 

4. Anthony Miller. Ditto.  I think Oliver is/was the better value at this slot, but Miller fills a greater need.  

Let me start by saying I really like Bears first 3 picks.  I think Roquan Smith was one of 5 or 6 best players in draft and I think Daniels is arguably best center in draft even though Bears said they are playing him at guard.  Miller was my favorite receiver after Calvin Ridley so I am happy with that pick too. 

Here is how I got there: 

3 teams traded up all around Bears.  I would have made a deal with one of those teams.  I said from start if forced to pick at 8 I would take Edmunds, but I wanted to trade down for Landry and pick up extra picks.  Hard to know what deal I could have made not being in a war room.  I am going to assume same thing as what other teams actually did.  I also know there is a butterfly effect when I do something different.  None of this matters anyway so calm down.

I would have made the Buffalo trade down because I would have took the first one I could since it was my plan from the start.   This is assuming of course I could have, but this is fantasy land at this point anyway.     I think it is an okay assumption.  TB was not going to pick a QB and Buffalo could have got their QB one slot cheaper by dealing with me.  I trump them.   Only way TB wins is if they scare Buf into thinking someone else is looking to trade ahead of them and that team covets Allen and not Rosen.

So in my fantasy world I now have 12, 53 and 56.

Plan in my head right at time of trade is to take Landry at 12.  However, when my pick comes at 12 low and behold Edmunds is still on the board.  I take Tremaine Edmunds at 12.

Draft is going along and nobody is taking Landry because of medicals.   I am still looking to trade back into late first to get Landry.  I'm not giving up a 1.

For this scenario I am stuck with teams that actually made trades.   I am offering 53 and 56 and nobody wants them for their first as they all got better deals.  

Low and behold Landry falls to me at 39 without me giving up picks.  Its my lucky day.  I take Harold Landry at 39.  

I said on the thread after first round I wanted Landry, Hernandez or Oliver with Bears at 39.  However, once we get Landry I really want Daniels to fix the interior of the line and corner is not as dire.   Daniels and Oliver are comparable talents.  

I make trade Titans made, except I take Daniels rather than Landry at 49.  I give up 53 and 56 - that is much more than Titans gave up to move there.  So it is realistic that they would jump at that.  We can't know if Daniels would have lasted another couple picks, but I think he would have.  Cowboys may have been next team to take him, but they wanted a player to be able to play tackle or guard.  

Now we are back in reality.  I take Miller same as Bears with same deal.  

I wouldn't have had a problem if the Bears took Edmunds. The only problem i have with Edmunds is that it seems he lacks instincts. He is more of a reactor. There is no doubt that if reaches his potential ceiling that he could be better then Smith. Smith has instincts that are amazing. The only negative i see on Smith is that in Rose Bowl game in the first half Oklahoma got their big men on him on about 4 or 5 plays. Smith has a high ceiling because of his instincts and speed.

18 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

I wouldn't have had a problem if the Bears took Edmunds. The only problem i have with Edmunds is that it seems he lacks instincts. He is more of a reactor. There is no doubt that if reaches his potential ceiling that he could be better then Smith. Smith has instincts that are amazing. The only negative i see on Smith is that in Rose Bowl game in the first half Oklahoma got their big men on him on about 4 or 5 plays. Smith has a high ceiling because of his instincts and speed.

I agree with you about Smith.

I think knock on Edmunds instincts is overblown because NFL plays mostly single back football where QB doesn't run.  I lot of games Edmunds played were against double or triple option teams with a running QB.

When you play a triple option team with a running QB you usually are forced to play assignment football.  That means you focus on a guy whether he has ball or not.  It can make anyone look stupid.  It doesn't mean he had bad instincts.  

NFL just recently started playing run pass options brought in with Chip Kelly, but run option of RPO is almost never the QB runs.  In college and high school the run is usually the QB which spread defense one man thinner and is much harder to defend.

He can run sideline to sideline and cover and he has arms down to his knees on a 6-5 frame.  He can literally rake people in from far away.  I think Smith would be better player in 2018, but I think in future Edmunds would have been better on that Bears defense with that staff teaching him.