2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

The only problem is I don't think you can trust Murray. Yes, he has said football is his priority and returned his money for being a first round MLB draft pick but you know if things don't go right he still always has that option. I certainly wouldn't trust it with a 1st overall pick or honestly a 1st round pick in general. 

This side doesn't take into account real life. So he's done what every wanted and chosen a side and still people aren't happy. So as soon as he has a 3 INT gm or bad rookie yr he's gonna tell his team screw this I'm out...lol Baseball here I come. Come on people really don't think like this do they?

2 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

The only problem is I don't think you can trust Murray. Yes, he has said football is his priority and returned his money for being a first round MLB draft pick but you know if things don't go right he still always has that option. I certainly wouldn't trust it with a 1st overall pick or honestly a 1st round pick in general. 

As fans we don't get to be a part of the interviews or anything close to that sort of stuff so we'll never truly know. I can take a guess as to where he's at with his decision but that's all it is, a guess. Right now he said he's committed to football, returned the money to the A's and is prepping for the combine. To me that spells football committed. As far as the Cards saying they are committed to Rosen, yea, uh huh, sure. They might be, but that's kind of what they have to say at this juncture as well. But I will take them at their word as well until proven otherwise. Teams like the Dolphins, Bengals, and Redskins may be hoping that is the case but if Tim Tebow, Jake Locker, EJ Manuel, and Christian Ponder can go round 1 as an NFL QB I don't see why Murray can not. Position supply and demand will always be the issue there.

8 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Part of the problem is Murray's lack of communication. It took awhile for him to actually commit verbally or in print. He is rather introverted compared to many other prospects, past and present.

Not sure that is a problem, or what the other parts are in regards to a kid weighing his options and making a huge decision in regards to his career. Interviews he had were awkward but he's a kid still trying to decide himself what he'll be trying to make a living doing meanwhile how many people are jumping down his throat to get an answer out of him? haha. No matter what he did or said people were going to question him and/or not be happy. 

4 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Not sure that is a problem, or what the other parts are in regards to a kid weighing his options and making a huge decision in regards to his career. Interviews he had were awkward but he's a kid still trying to decide himself what he'll be trying to make a living doing meanwhile how many people are jumping down his throat to get an answer out of him? haha. No matter what he did or said people were going to question him and/or not be happy. 

Just referring to any who may have difficulty believing he has truly committed to the NFL exclusively. He isn't very forthright. 

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Just referring to any who may have difficulty believing he has truly committed to the NFL exclusively. He isn't very forthright. 

Not to the public and nor should he be, he owes us nothing and has done nothing wrong up to this point to be required to give further information or explain himself other than be a world class athlete good enough to choose between going professional in two different sports. Instead of being commended and recognized for that people are getting on a kid for not making a decision fast enough for them or forthright as much as they want him to be. He doesn't have to be with the public, only the NFL decision makers who will get plenty of face time with him. I have no feeling one way or the other on Murray and by no means his biggest fan, just find him an exciting QB prospect but I find it funny how everyone, including big time networks and talking heads are getting on this kid because he isn't deciding his future quick enough for them. I'm glad he went on those talk shows and made it uncomfortable and pointless for being there, it's what I would have done, pocketed the money they paid me for being there and telling em "have me on again anytime, but you'll find out when I make my decision."

32 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Not to the public and nor should he be, he owes us nothing and has done nothing wrong up to this point to be required to give further information or explain himself other than be a world class athlete good enough to choose between going professional in two different sports. Instead of being commended and recognized for that people are getting on a kid for not making a decision fast enough for them or forthright as much as they want him to be. He doesn't have to be with the public, only the NFL decision makers who will get plenty of face time with him. I have no feeling one way or the other on Murray and by no means his biggest fan, just find him an exciting QB prospect but I find it funny how everyone, including big time networks and talking heads are getting on this kid because he isn't deciding his future quick enough for them. I'm glad he went on those talk shows and made it uncomfortable and pointless for being there, it's what I would have done, pocketed the money they paid me for being there and telling em "have me on again anytime, but you'll find out when I make my decision."

I'm not really getting on him for his communication or not intending to. More, I think he should have stuck with baseball. Don't get me wrong, I love football and two innings of baseball will put me to sleep but you can't really do baseball and come back to football whereas you can do football and go back to baseball, at least easier. If I was a GM thinking about drafting him I would be wary that he would get bored of the NFL demands or if drafting him we didn't have much success at the beginning of his career and he didn't enjoy it he would flip to baseball. Especially with his height limitations. It would be different if he was 6'4" to me where he had a more prototypical qb body. He played fantastically at 5'9" in college but that isn't a guarantee of success at the nfl level. Any success at the NFL level is few and far between but it is especially rare at under 6' for the qb position these days.

Basically I am saying if I was an NFL GM I would have a 2nd round grade at best on him. I'm not trying to disparage him as a player either, he is fantastic but he wouldn't be for me most likely.

So say we don't trade for AB/OBJ/etc and don't make a big FA WR signing, who are some of your favorite targets in the 2nd or 3rd round? I'm all in on Hollywood Brown and really like Ridley. But Brown is who I want the most. Wouldn't mind trading up in the late 1st to get him either. 

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So say we don't trade for AB/OBJ/etc and don't make a big FA WR signing, who are some of your favorite targets in the 2nd or 3rd round? I'm all in on Hollywood Brown and really like Ridley. But Brown is who I want the most. Wouldn't mind trading up in the late 1st to get him either. 

Eh, I'm not big on Brown because I want a big receiver. Not even for the RZ thing just someone that can stay healthy. But I would be fine with Brown, but I also think he goes in the first.

I think Harry could drop and I would be fine with him. Ridley and Harmon would be my #1 and #2 for us though. 

24 minutes ago, John232 said:

Eh, I'm not big on Brown because I want a big receiver. Not even for the RZ thing just someone that can stay healthy. But I would be fine with Brown, but I also think he goes in the first.

I think Harry could drop and I would be fine with him. Ridley and Harmon would be my #1 and #2 for us though. 

Brown is a future star, size be damned. 

Hollywood is so explosive and has shown good ability in route running and playing bigger than he is but he's not on my wish list, or lower down than where his talent maybe would lead someone to believe. As someone said earlier I really want a bigger bodied guy who can win jump balls and play physically. The added benefit of maybe being a bit more durable as well since all of our WRs are either small or slight. I like a lot of the WRs available in this years draft, Harry, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Harmon, Butler, Ridley, Samuel, Arcega-Whiteside, Jakobi Meyers, Tyre Brady, Keelan Doss, Preston Williams, Anthony Johnson, KeeSean Johnson, Antoine Wesley, Tyron Johnson, Stanley Morgan and Cody Thomspon are all guys who have height and/or size to them to play above the rim or physically that I've liked. There are other smaller guys I like as well but looking specifically for something different than what we have I like these guys. Rounds projected ranges anywhere from 1st to 7th really but my favorites for us at the top of the 2nd or 3rd (where I think we're likely to target one) is Harry, Brown, Harmon, Butler, Ridley, Samuel, Arcega-Whitesie, Doss. Preston Williams (if his background check and interviews check out) I think will be one hell of a steal and I really like KeeSean Johnson in those later rounds.

N'Keal Harry is my favorite WR in this draft, and he seems to be around in the 2nd in mocks, so I choose him.

Of course, in recent years I have championed Simmie Cobbs and Keyarris Garrett (not to mention that Adarius Bowman thing). So...we might be better off waiting to sign Harry as a UDFA than drafting him at #36. Or...just staying away. A WR scout I am not. 

5 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

N'Keal Harry is my favorite WR in this draft, and he seems to be around in the 2nd in mocks, so I choose him.

Of course, in recent years I have championed Simmie Cobbs and Keyarris Garrett (not to mention that Adarius Bowman thing). So...we might be better off waiting to sign Harry as a UDFA than drafting him at #36. Or...just staying away. A WR scout I am not. 

I like Harry too. I’d say I’m more hit and miss; I was all about Stephon Diggs and Alshon Jeffery, but was also able to talk myself into the Jenkins (literally can’t remember his first name right now) being the next Mike Wallace after we drafted him. Aj, that was his first name, which we later found out stood for absolute junk. 

Archived