2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

Just now, Forge said:

Nah, and obviously he still went third overall. I can't really think of anything hand size would meaningfully impact for a pass rusher to be honest. I mean, maybe a specific pass rush move like a push and pull or something? 

If I remember correctly, he missed out on some sacks because of his small hands? 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Nah, and obviously he still went third overall. I can't really think of anything hand size would meaningfully impact for a pass rusher to be honest. I mean, maybe a specific pass rush move like a push and pull or something? 

More power generated, and better grab to dislodge OL hands from your person as you pursue target.

Just now, oldman9er said:

More power generated, and better grab to dislodge OL hands from your person as you pursue target.

Yeah, I don't think I'm on board with the latter. I think you just need to know how to use your hands to be good with that (and have some good flexibility will help with that). I can see it from the power perspective (LIS, using a push / pull or something, I can see this possibly being impacted on a specific move, but I don't think it's a situation where small hands would impact a bull rush or something, where the power is all coming from the core and legs). 

I don't think smaller hands automatically make it harder to grab another guy. When grabbing something bigger like a ball yeah it can help having bigger hands because you can reach around better but hand fighting and dislodging its more about how much strength you have in your hands than how big they are. 

4 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

If I remember correctly, he missed out on some sacks because of his small hands? 

Personal feeling? Meh. I mean, I'd be less concerned about missing sacks and more about missing tackles in coverage and in the run game (as receivers / running backs could potentially run through a tackle where he has a hold of their jersey, but even then, I would think things such as grip strength / triceps and shoulders would matter just as much), but with regards to getting to the quarterback? I don't know...I mean, in the NFL, you have to wrap up the quarterback when you're hitting them. Anything else and you're liable to get flagged anyway lol. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I don't think I'm on board with the latter. I think you just need to know how to use your hands to be good with that (and have some good flexibility will help with that). I can see it from the power perspective (LIS, using a push / pull or something, I can see this possibly being impacted on a specific move, but I don't think it's a situation where small hands would impact a bull rush or something, where the power is all coming from the core and legs). 

To defeat a bull rush, a benefit beyond anchor is to use your own hands to disrupt the hands latched onto you.

To better do that, give me the big powerful hands over wimpy child hands every time. :P 

Power may begin from the core and legs... but it connects through... the arms... then the hands last. 

Personal feeling? Meh. I mean, I'd be less concerned about missing sacks and more about missing tackles in coverage and in the run game (as receivers / running backs could potentially run through a tackle where he has a hold of their jersey, but even then, I would think things such as grip strength / triceps and shoulders would matter just as much), but with regards to getting to the quarterback? I don't know...I mean, in the NFL, you have to wrap up the quarterback when you're hitting them. Anything else and you're liable to get flagged anyway lol. 

I don't think it matters just remember some folks saying he missed a few sacks because he had small hands so...

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

I don't think smaller hands automatically make is harder to grab another guy. When grabbing something bigger like a ball yeah it can help having bigger hands because you can reach around better but hand fighting and dislodging its more about how much strength you have in your hands than how big they are. 

I'm with you. It's just not something I was ever particularly disturbed by on a pass rusher. That would just be way, way down on the list for me. Honestly, things like hand size aren't even as big of a deal any more for receivers / backs / quarterbacks any more in my opinion. It used to be such a huge deal, and undoubtedly someone always makes a big hub bub about it at the combine, but I feel like in the end it really seldom impacts draft position. I don't think you really worry about it unless they have fumble / drop issues in college, because then you can maybe assume that they will continue at the next level without hopes of getting much better. 

I'm with you. It's just not something I was ever particularly disturbed by on a pass rusher. That would just be way, way down on the list for me. Honestly, things like hand size aren't even as big of a deal any more for receivers / backs / quarterbacks any more in my opinion. It used to be such a huge deal, and undoubtedly someone always makes a big hub bub about it at the combine, but I feel like in the end it really seldom impacts draft position. I don't think you really worry about it unless they have fumble / drop issues in college, because then you can maybe assume that they will continue at the next level without hopes of getting much better. 

Yeah i think its more of a confirmation thing. A guy that has drop issues or is more of a body catcher that measures in with smaller hands it can come from that. Bigger hands don't mean better catching automatically it just means it should be easier to grab and grip the ball but it sure ain't a thing that always goes. Someone with 11 inch hands can just as easily drop a ball as a guy with 8 inch hands.

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I don't think it matters just remember some folks saying he missed a few sacks because he had small hands so...

Yeah, everyone has their things. For me, I just have a hard time seeing how it is meaningfully impactful for a pass rusher. I could be 100% wrong...I just think that there are way more things that go into than the hand size. There are a lot of things that work in unison 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What if we get Houston or someone like in free agency and then Bosa goes #1 so we trade back down to #6, would you guys be fine if we take Devin White there or want another edge rusher regardless? 

That's a good question.  I think I would be willing to trade down but considering that Houston could be on the decline, I may want to pick an EDGE at #6

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What if we get Houston or someone like in free agency and then Bosa goes #1 so we trade back down to #6, would you guys be fine if we take Devin White there or want another edge rusher regardless? 

No that works. Houston. Then White in rd 1, and there will be good young LEO options for day 2. 

I thought TJ would be a good bit heavier. This is good.

Archived