BDL Discussion Thread *OWNERS MEETING STARTS 1/31/18*

Jlash

3 minutes ago, PR said:

Im just going to say my piece and letthis test until season. There are too many stupid rules too many loop holes for teams to sign playerswhen over cap or roster limit, half the damn time rules are ruled by the eye of the beholder because we dont remember what or why certain rules got put into place years ago. I openly asked for a pause of Shark Tank until sheet was fixed not because of active bids but because we needed updated roster caps and such so we could actually keep it in check. I got ignored (go figure) and you went about your merry ways because quite frankly the level of disconnect in this league is at an all time high. Lets be real here guys. We moved forums to look for greener pastures and get new blood. We are now losing multiple owners right as Shark Tank wrapped up, the new members we did get have gone MIA. We are going to be stuck in rebuild mode when maybe this should have died out.

Ill stick it out but future is bleak

I'm not MIA been here all along the way. So drop that malarkey.

13 hours ago, Jlash said:

@PR you suggested a timeout but no timeout was ever agreed upon, and you know that. You don't just get to "I don't care" the rules. 

Why are invalidating legal bids now @TedLavie?

Because those bids were made after the deadline.

I'm talking about bids on Chris Carson, Ben Gedeon, Mercedes Lewis, Jay Cutler, Adam Jones, Anthony Walker Jr., Rashede Hageman and Stephen Paea. EDIT: Nevermind time difference tricked me.

To rebound on what PR just said. The problem has always been that BDL requires too much commitment from certain owners (mainly spreadsheet editors) and guys that were involved a lot dropped like flies (PSU, jepg, Sancho, Blue, now SirA). We should focus on improving our processes to lighten the burden on those people. As I said, I'm currently working on a new spreadsheet. I've shown the template to bcb, Rags and SirA and now I just need to fill in the data (who's on which roster, for what salary etc.). To make my job easier, I'd like to freeze all roster movements for 2 days ( @Jlash @bcb1213 would you be ok with that? ). However, we should also revise how we handle gamedays, free agency/ST, the draft and, as PR said, create a rule book that can evolve when decisions are made in owners meeting. We should work on that this season.

As for the Shark Tank, I wouldn't mind if we open a 24h period for new bids given the spreadsheet trouble. If we freeze roster movements for 2 days, I'd offer Friday @8pm to start. @MD4L @Jlash @bcb1213 what do you think about it?

Edited by TedLavie

Ted, the deadline was noon Monday for new offers.  It literally says it on the first post of the tank.  I'm not sure what your issue is with most of the players you listed is? 

Edited by bcb1213

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

Ted, the deadline was noon Monday for new offers.  It literally says it on the first post of the tank.  I'm not sure what your issue is with most of the players you listed is? 

I get confused with these american hours. 12pm is noon?

Just now, bcb1213 said:

Correct

Okay I think the hours I see are the French hours. Because of the 6h difference, every bid I talked about aside from Carson happened, according to what I see, after noon. Walker Jones Cutler Lewis and Gedeon bids happened between 6am and 12pm ET then?

1 minute ago, TedLavie said:

Okay I think the hours I see are the French hours. Because of the 6h difference, every bid I talked about aside from Carson happened, according to what I see, after noon. Walker Jones Cutler Lewis and Gedeon bids happened between 6am and 12pm ET then?

indeed

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

Because those bids were made after the deadline.

I'm talking about bids on Chris Carson, Ben Gedeon, Mercedes Lewis, Jay Cutler, Adam Jones, Anthony Walker Jr., Rashede Hageman and Stephen Paea. EDIT: Nevermind time difference tricked me.

To rebound on what PR just said. The problem has always been that BDL requires too much commitment from certain owners (mainly spreadsheet editors) and guys that were involved a lot dropped like flies (PSU, jepg, Sancho, Blue, now SirA). We should focus on improving our processes to lighten the burden on those people. As I said, I'm currently working on a new spreadsheet. I've shown the template to bcb, Rags and SirA and now I just need to fill in the data (who's on which roster, for what salary etc.). To make my job easier, I'd like to freeze all roster movements for 2 days ( @Jlash @bcb1213 would you be ok with that? ). However, we should also revise how we handle gamedays, free agency/ST, the draft and, as PR said, create a rule book that can evolve when decisions are made in owners meeting. We should work on that this season.

As for the Shark Tank, I wouldn't mind if we open a 24h period for new bids given the spreadsheet trouble. If we freeze roster movements for 2 days, I'd offer Friday @8pm to start. @MD4L @Jlash @bcb1213 what do you think about it?

I vote no on reopening the tank.

And I'm ok with freezing any roster moves for a couple days to get caught up.

We should institute a rule that a team has to have enough roster spots + cap room for the singular player before he bids. He can bid on multiple players but once a team wins a player and runs out of cap/roster space, the other bid becomes retroactively invalid. The team should've either worked out cap before he won the first bid or has to adjust roster post bid to make space and then make another bid

14 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Gentlemen,

It's been a great ride over the last 7 years. Met some great friends and had lots of good times.

It's getting close for my time in the league to come to an end. Work/Life just doesn't leave me much time and my interest in the NFL has waned a bit in the last year.

I'm going to helped finish setting up a new Spreadsheet and will submit lineups/gameplans until a replacement owner can be found and will give them pointers if they want them.

I'll still be around but not as active in the past.

SirA

I know this isn't officially goodbye yet, but I'm sad to hear this. You've been very helpful and friendly to me over the past couple of seasons, and I hate to see that you will be going.

1 hour ago, rofldogs said:

We should institute a rule that a team has to have enough roster spots + cap room for the singular player before he bids. He can bid on multiple players but once a team wins a player and runs out of cap/roster space, the other bid becomes retroactively invalid. The team should've either worked out cap before he won the first bid or has to adjust roster post bid to make space and then make another bid

I don't think this is the way to go about it. What happens if someone has bid up the second player multiple times? Does this reset the clock? If so, then this system could be abused to keep the bid on a player alive without any risk. In this recent Tank I felt like I had to keep the bid on Joe Flacco alive, because I wasn't sure what exactly was going to happen between PR and me for Carson Palmer. There were a few times I ran the risk of paying a couple thousand or more on two backup QBs that likely wouldn't see the field. With this rule, I could have kept bidding both of them up until I won one and then just be let off the hook for the other.

I think the rule should be that people are responsible for their own cap and roster space. People can make whatever bids they choose and all won players will be added to their rosters. If a team is over the cap or over the roster limit on a game day, then they forfeit that game. If they have to sell a bunch of their guys for pennies on the dollar to get under the cap for poor roster decisions, then I say so be it.

31 minutes ago, Whicker said:

I don't think this is the way to go about it. What happens if someone has bid up the second player multiple times? Does this reset the clock? If so, then this system could be abused to keep the bid on a player alive without any risk. In this recent Tank I felt like I had to keep the bid on Joe Flacco alive, because I wasn't sure what exactly was going to happen between PR and me for Carson Palmer. There were a few times I ran the risk of paying a couple thousand or more on two backup QBs that likely wouldn't see the field. With this rule, I could have kept bidding both of them up until I won one and then just be let off the hook for the other.

I think the rule should be that people are responsible for their own cap and roster space. People can make whatever bids they choose and all won players will be added to their rosters. If a team is over the cap or over the roster limit on a game day, then they forfeit that game. If they have to sell a bunch of their guys for pennies on the dollar to get under the cap for poor roster decisions, then I say so be it.

I would agree with this.  We shouldn't have more work to do because an owner doesn't plan out bids in advance.  If you want to put yourself 20k over the cap, that's your problem.  Obviously an owner purposely doing that would be subject to removal for harming the competitive balance of the league.  

19 hours ago, PR said:

Im just going to say my piece and letthis test until season. There are too many stupid rules too many loop holes for teams to sign playerswhen over cap or roster limit, half the damn time rules are ruled by the eye of the beholder because we dont remember what or why certain rules got put into place years ago. I openly asked for a pause of Shark Tank until sheet was fixed not because of active bids but because we needed updated roster caps and such so we could actually keep it in check. I got ignored (go figure) and you went about your merry ways because quite frankly the level of disconnect in this league is at an all time high. Lets be real here guys. We moved forums to look for greener pastures and get new blood. We are now losing multiple owners right as Shark Tank wrapped up, the new members we did get have gone MIA. We are going to be stuck in rebuild mode when maybe this should have died out.

Ill stick it out but future is bleak

Footy is still participating, he just needed a co-owner. So we're losing SirA, which is huge because of the load he's taken on in this league. Don't make it sound like a bunch of people are out.

Also, you're a habitual deadline misser and at times are minimally active in participation so when you ask for something once and then re-appear DAYS LATER TRYING TO ENFORCE IT,  a word to the wise glass house guy, don't throw stones.

Edited by Jlash