Watson and Kamara

Pool

If you could go back to last year before the draft knowing what we know now would you take Watson and Kamara (drafted with our pick from Trubisky trade) or still make the trade for Trubisky? I like Trubisky and I think he will be good. But will he be good enough (or Watson bad enough) to offset the acquisition of Kamara? Personally I think it's a pretty tough call and too early as well but there's something really exciting about the prospect of landing Watson and Kamara.

I always wanted Watson (and Kizer, lol so far) but have really wondered if Watson was off of Pace's board for medical reasons.  If you think about, he fits the usual Pace mold quite well.

Trubisky didn't look as good as Watson out side of preseason, but that's a statement covered is asterisks as we all know round here.   Both showed enough to expect them not to be bad, probably minimum they're both average starting QB's. I think so far we can't predict the eventual quality of each, aside from being able to dismiss them as busts.

The other question is: if their current performance were to be their eventual ability, would you rather have average Trubisky or excellent but injured Watson?

My own gut feeling is that Trubisky is going to be above average and good enough to win it all, but Watson will have a flashier career that ends early. 

Trubisky was the first QB prospect I fell in love with during the draft process last season. As time went on and Pace started spreading lies, I talked myself into loving Watson more. Which, don't get me wrong, doesn't take away from what a good QB I think Watson will be in the NFL. Like Vaccs said, I think Watson will have more flash but I do worry about his injuries, I believe this is the second time he has torn an ACL.

With Mitch, the thing I love the most about him is his tireless work ethic. I don't care what profession you are in, if you are constantly working at it and out working the other guy, you'll find some semblance of success.

The Cutler days trained me to accept that a player I wanted to succeed could/would be a total bag as a person. With Mitch it is so refreshing to not have that feeling. Whenever he opens his mouth (blessedly rare!) it's decent, and the way other people talk about him always makes me like him. 

In my own professional and sporting life I really really enjoy working with people who keep the talk quiet and the labor loud. 

I wonder if people realize that Watson wasn't THAT great last year? I mean, he had a few TD's, but also had more turnovers than games played. I think a lot of his praise came from the fact that their week 1 starter was even worse than the Bears' week 1 starter. I also think with the hurricane that hit Houston, Watson was a refreshing face in the community.

I believe Watson will have a good career, but people pretending he was the best rookie they've ever seen is beyond ridiculous. If Trubisky had their WR corps, which isn't even that great but still far beyond the Bears' terrible 5 that they trotted out there in 2017, he would have probably thrown for 20 TD's too.

As for Kamara, I'd absolutely rather have him than Cohen.

18 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I wonder if people realize that Watson wasn't THAT great last year?

Texans QB Deshaun Watson passes Kurt Warner with 19 TDs in first seven career NFL games

Watson also passed Peyton Manning, Marcus Mariota and Dak Prescott for the most three-passing-touchdown games in a season (four) by a rookie quarterback since the 1970 merger.

Just saying, man...

Way too early to tell with QB's. Far too often, the league figures out the QB after a season or several games and the QB has no 'B' option. Heck, Rich Mirer looked serviceable his first season by setting rookie records for yardage, completions and attempts and then finished his career with a QB rating in the 50's.

Add in that Trubisky was certainly hampered by A) having one of the poorest WR corps in the league B) no go-to receiver be it TE or RB and C) having one of the most predictable NFL offenses over the last decade.

I'd go with Mahommes and Kamura.  :)

Watson played better than expected last year even factoring he was probably most ready QB with all his experience and big games.   However, he got a major injury in his first year which wasn't unexpected with his style of play.  Remember too Watson had a much, much better supporting team in Houston than Trubisky had in Chicago.  That gap is closing.   Still there is no question that 2017 Watson on any team is better than 2017 Trubisky, but I thought that pre-draft.  2018 Watson is probably better too.   

Watson is likely one of those guys better in short term and not as good in long term.  I like Trubisky's overall talent and long term staying power better than Watson's, Watson is just way ahead of him in development.   At this point I would still take Trubisky over Watson in a straight swap right now if asked.   Time could prove me very wrong.  

Trubisky should theoretically catch up mid 2019 after a camp, a season and another camp with same OC/HC, viable healthier weapons and experience.  After 2019 season we will have a much better idea of who Trubisky is as a QB.    Though everyone will have made up their minds after game 1 of 2018 season.   There is no patience or realistic thinking anymore.    

I don't think Bears will be that great in first year together like many are predicting, that would be a pleasant surprise though.  My reasoning is number 1 guy is coming off a major injury and everybody is new.   Trubisky and staff is learning a whole new scheme.  HC is a first time HC.  Team is still young.   It's going to take some time, hopefully people can be patient a little longer.

2019 is season I am looking for biggest leaps to upper levels if everybody isn't too mentally beat up from 2018 criticism based on unrealistic expectations.

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

Texans QB Deshaun Watson passes Kurt Warner with 19 TDs in first seven career NFL games

Watson also passed Peyton Manning, Marcus Mariota and Dak Prescott for the most three-passing-touchdown games in a season (four) by a rookie quarterback since the 1970 merger.

Just saying, man...

He was pretty great.  It certainly helped him that he had Bill O'Brien completely open up the offense and that he was throwing deep to De'andre Hopkins and Will Fuller.  It looked a lot like the Clemson offense - but rather than Mike Williams catching all those 50/50 balls - he had Hopkins.  I was a huge Watson fan and was pretty pissed when Pace turned in Trubisky's name (although I thought Trubisky was a great prospect in his own right).

That said - I'm excited to see what Mitch can do with an offense that more closely resembles what he had at North Carolina - but with actual NFL quality receivers.

17 minutes ago, G08 said:

Just saying, man...

He also had 8 INT's and 3 fumbles in those 7 games. He threw for 19 touchdowns and broke a record. Did the 11 turnovers break any records?

1 minute ago, Mudderfudder77 said:

That said - I'm excited to see what Mitch can do with an offense that more closely resembles what he had at North Carolina - but with actual NFL quality receivers.

That makes two of us. And really, I am even more excited that we are going from "DEAR GOD MITCH DON'T FU*K IT UP!!!" to "KID, IF YOU SEE IT JUST RIP IT IN THERE".

I mean Jesus, Loggains in the headset against Baltimore had to tell Mitch "Hey this is 3rd and long in OT, if you need to make a play here make it" and then sure enough the kid does this:

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He also had 8 INT's and 3 fumbles in those 7 games. He threw for 19 touchdowns and broke a record. Did the 11 turnovers break any records?

No.

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Just like at Clemson (17ints his last season and 30 in his last two seasons) Watson is not afraid to throw it up there and trust his receiver to make a play.  I don't think he's ever going to be a guy with fewer than 12ints over a season.  But it seems to work out for him.

Watson's season last year imo only went to confirm a person's pre-existing beliefs about him....

Either he really was the best QB prospect available from his draft class, and he's balling out like a potential Pro Bowler (or even given his TD numbers the "Micheal Jordan of Football", as his college coach hyped him to be)

or

He's the same inaccurate thrower he was in college, that is overly reliant on having a loaded receiving corps that can carry him.... He's a Cutler-esque in that he's capable of some great plays, but is more or less a turnover machine. Finally, he's going to have a very short career since much of his game (both in college and his rookie year) is predicated on him being a runner, something he frankly doesn't have the size for, and something that even QBs that do have the size to do, can't sustain at the NFL level for long.

His rookie year was admittedly above expectations statistically, but even so I expected him to be the best performer of Trubisky/Mahomes/Watson last year.... I'm fairly confident Mitch and Mahomes both end up surpassing him this year, and though I still think Mahomes is the best long term prospect of those 3 (and the guy I wanted to draft last year), I think that our team is more likely to attain success over the next 5 years than either KC or Houston (we're the ascending team, and I think both of them are about to be descending teams)

I like Watson, but I would absolutely take Tru first. Watson's performances were impressive, but what do you think his statline would have been if he and Tru were swapped last year? They had far superior coaching, far superior talent around him, and the playcalling actually worked to his strengths instead of against him.

i think this year we will get a much better grasp of both of their skillsets. I kinda expect Watson to have a Prescott-like dropoff his second year.

Archived