Is the 2014 WR Draft The GOAT?

RaidersAreOne

It’s definitely lived up to the hype as a whole.  It’s crazy that both Sammy and Cooks are already on to their third different team. Cooks has great numbers and most thought Sammy would be the best of the bunch before the draft.

2010 is quite good.  1998 gets my vote though.  You're talking the best WR to ever play the game in Randy Moss (yes, he IS the best ever, I don't care what anyone says.....that'll never change unless someone even better comes along which I don't see ever happening) and throw in Hines Ward (1,000 receptions, SB MVP, etc) for good measure.  1985 with Jerry Rice, Andre Reed & Steve Tasker is great too.  2014 is good, but mainly for depth.  ODB is great, but the rest are not on the same level as the other great(s) in the 1998 or 1985 drafts.  

I guess it depends on what your criteria is are you talkin pure talent coming out of college or are you talkin this excessive actually had in the NFL because honestly if you talking about the success they've had in the NFL then I'm not sure is it 2014 class is all that great overall but there are a handful of guys that are really really good and have moved two teams and actually become better as a result. For me the top two are probably the 2014 class and the 2010 class

11 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

1985 had Jerry Rice and Andre Reed. Not much else, but two Hall of Famers including the far-and-away greatest wide receiver of all time has to be up there at least in the Top 10.

While JR was an awesome WR and is considered by many to be the GOAT, I believe he would have been #2 if Sterling Sharp had been able to play a complete career. 

Regardless, I think Don Hutson was far better than Rice. 

12 hours ago, 66PinG said:

While JR was an awesome WR and is considered by many to be the GOAT, I believe he would have been #2 if Sterling Sharp had been able to play a complete career. 

Hutson played in a worse era and didn't even hit 10,000 career receiving yards. Rice had almost 23,000! I don't care if you think stats are stupid, you can't ignore that much of a difference. 14,904 yards is a big difference. Rice almost tripled Hutson. He'd have to be something really special to have ANY argument to compensate for that - and no, playing less seasons isn't an excuse for that.

13 hours ago, 66PinG said:

I can't judge Hutson because I've never seen him play - I'd wager none us saw him play.

On 5/14/2018 at 4:29 PM, Yin-Yang said:

This.

Keyshawn Johnson (10k+ yards, 64 TDs)

Terry Glenn (8800 yards, 44 TDs)

Eddie Kennison (8300 yards, 42 TDs)

Marvin Harrison (14k+ yards, 128 TDs, HOF)

Eric Moulds (9995 yards, 49 TDs)

Amani Toomer (9500 yards, 54 TDs)

Muhsin Muhammad (11k+ yards, 62 TDs)

Bobby Engram (7700 yards, 35 TDs)

Terrell Owens (almost 16k yards, 153 TDs, HOF)

Joe Horn (8700 yards, 58 TDs)

Ironically this was also arguably the worst QB class ever.

On 5/15/2018 at 5:23 PM, Starless said:

This.

Keyshawn Johnson (10k+ yards, 64 TDs)

Terry Glenn (8800 yards, 44 TDs)

Eddie Kennison (8300 yards, 42 TDs)

Marvin Harrison (14k+ yards, 128 TDs, HOF)

Amani Toomer (9500 yards, 54 TDs)

Muhsin Muhammad (11k+ yards, 62 TDs)

Bobby Engram (7700 yards, 35 TDs)

Terrell Owens (almost 16k yards, 153 TDs, HOF)

Joe Horn (8700 yards, 58 TDs)

Ironically this was also arguably the worst QB class ever.

OOOUUU. Maybe we should give the 2014 class a few more years (like a decade) before we start calling them the GOATs because 1996 still has this on lock. 

On 5/14/2018 at 1:27 PM, AlNFL19 said:

1985 had Jerry Rice and Andre Reed. Not much else, but two Hall of Famers including the far-and-away greatest wide receiver of all time has to be up there at least in the Top 10.

It had more than just those two. Setting the bar at 5,000 career yards:

Al Toon (6,605 career yards)

Eddie Brown (6,134 career yards)

Jerry Rice (22,895 career yards)

Jessie Hester (5,850 career yards)

Vance Johnson (5,695 career yards)

Andre Reed (13,198 career yards)

Eddie Langhorn (5,446 career yards)

Eric Martin (8,161 career yards)

That's a lot of production, right there. Even after Rice and Reed, a few of those guys were legitimate stars in their own right. Most are forgotten now, but there were a lot of good receivers in that draft, including the GOAT and another hall of famer. These guys also would have all had higher stats had they been drafted ten years later due to changes in the league. I think it's debatable between this class and 1996.

On 5/15/2018 at 4:23 PM, Starless said:

I'm sure he dropped a 5 yard hitch route at some point in his career and thought to himself "Eh, it's just a 5 yard hitch route, no biggie..."

Archived