The Totally Transcendent Teddy Thread

Heimdallr

48 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Not huge news or anything, imagine if he was somehow cleared to play the last preseason game o.O

I wouldn't be surprised at this point. If someone is on the PUP at the regular season, they have to stay on there until week 6, right? I suppose if there is any doubt, the best move would be to put him on the PUP from the get go (not factoring in contract tolling) to make sure he gets as close to 100% as he can. However, I suppose that if things are going as well as everyone says, I suppose I could see his activation sooner. I fully expect him to be activated to the 53 at some point this year.

When you look at him throw, it may seem like he's not far out...and that might be the case. However, the thing Zimmer stressed recently is that the uncertainly comes in with all the non-throwing stuff of being a QB in a game....moving in the pocket, protecting himself, etc.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Pelissero-More-Optimism-Than-Ever-For-Teddy/99a9a20d-b968-4cc4-8b77-e95ef2ce38c8

Couple of the better-connected Vikings Twitter guys posting tonight that Teddy will be cleared to practice this week. 

Basically unprecedented for an NFL player to get back to game action this fast from a knee dislocation. 

If he somehow can get back to full strength, I think he's the best QB on the team. 

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

Couple of the better-connected Vikings Twitter guys posting tonight that Teddy will be cleared to practice this week. 

Basically unprecedented for an NFL player to get back to game action this fast from a knee dislocation. 

If he somehow can get back to full strength, I think he's the best QB on the team. 

I wouldn't really call Boser connected. Has Vick signed a contract here yet?

It seems to me all the hubbub is coming from his and Yinka's tweets.

It might very well happen, but I'm not going to lock it in based on that guy.

It's not just two tweets, it's the fact that he's been doing drills without a brace, and multiple other sources (Pelissero last week, Warren Moon this weekend, Bob Lurtesma a month ago) have said he's made progress and could be back soon. Injury recovery isn't a closely guarded secret like free agent negotiations or a draft pick. There's no way of hiding that he's been improving, and no value to the team from pretending otherwise. 

Whether the rumors are precisely accurate or not, it seem increasingly unlikely that he'll be unable to perform (PUP list) for the rest of the year. That's good news. 

1 hour ago, rpmwr19 said:

PUP for six weeks, and, depending on how those first six games go, we take it from there. Sounds perfect to me, and I'm incredibly happy for Teddy if this turns out to be true.

Sounds perfect for everyone except Teddy. I'm sure Teddy is aiming to be at worse QB #3 on the depth charts (on the 53) and not on the PUP list. Then he comes back, when they want to play him and his contract does not toll.

He's not going to be QB3 on the depth chart if he doesn't get any game action before the season starts, and it really doesn't make sense for this team to keep three quarterbacks on the 53 man roster to start the season given the uncertainty of the depth at other positions. Bradford and Keenum is plenty good for QB depth to open the year and after six weeks the team can make the call on keeping Teddy as the third quarterback.

His contract only tolls if he's on the PUP for the full season. If he's as close as it's being speculated he is, he's in no danger of that.

1 hour ago, rpmwr19 said:

His contract only tolls if he's on the PUP for the full season. If he's as close as it's being speculated he is, he's in no danger of that.

That is not what the CBA says. His contract will toll if he is placed on PUP to start the season. Or at least that is what the CBA seems to say. Expect a challenge from the players union.

Edited to add source containing the CBA language: https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/5/9/15596734/florio-bridgewater-contract-situation-ugly

Contracts only toll if the player is on the PUP for the entire last season of their deal.

In response to the ESPN report that the Vikings likely won’t pick up quarterback Teddy Bridgewater’s fifth-year option before the May 3 deadline, NFL Media reported that it won’t matter, if Bridgewater spends the full season on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, that’s currently a very, very big if. Bridgewater is currently not expected to spend the entire season on the PUP list. Which means that his contract would definitely expire after the 2017 season, if the Vikings don’t pick up the option.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/27/bridgewater-tolling-issue-likely-will-be-moot/

2 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Contracts only toll if the player is on the PUP for the entire last season of their deal.

I edited my previous post to include the source. It includes actual language from the CBA. This is more relevant than what a PFT reporter says. Here is the CBA language:

Any player placed on a Physically Unable to Perform list (“PUP”) will be paid his full Paragraph 5 Salary while on such list. His contract will not be tolled for the period he is on PUP, except in the last year of his contract, when the player’s contract will be tolled if he is still physically unable to perform his football services as of the sixth regular season game.

4 hours ago, Krauser said:

It's not just two tweets, it's the fact that he's been doing drills without a brace, and multiple other sources (Pelissero last week, Warren Moon this weekend, Bob Lurtesma a month ago) have said he's made progress and could be back soon. Injury recovery isn't a closely guarded secret like free agent negotiations or a draft pick. There's no way of hiding that he's been improving, and no value to the team from pretending otherwise. 

Whether the rumors are precisely accurate or not, it seem increasingly unlikely that he'll be unable to perform (PUP list) for the rest of the year. That's good news. 

No one is questioning his improvement. Simply questioning the reports of him being activated this week. Based on the history of the original tweets, they are less than reliable. 

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

No one is questioning his improvement. Simply questioning the reports of him being activated this week. Based on the history of the original tweets, they are less than reliable. 

Exactly.

Archived