The Philadelphia Phillies Thread

mse326

Rough start for Kapler.

Expected Kingrey on bench game 1, but Herrera was a surprise. i understand he has not been historically good aginst the pitcher, just a weird emssage.

And yea, gotta let Nola try to attack Freeman when he's at 68 pitches. 

Kapler used 9 pitchers in 9 innings tonight. And the game is currently in the bottom of the 10th...

He really doesn't know how to use a bullpen. This coming the day after he basically emptied the bullpen because he pulled Nola early.

Just now, RollEagles said:

Kapler used 9 pitchers in 9 innings tonight. And the game is currently in the bottom of the 10th...

He really doesn't know how to use a bullpen. This coming the day after he basically emptied the bullpen because he pulled Nola early.

Completely disagree. He's making it clear that the bullpen is going to be used a lot. He wants guys that can go out and pitch a lot, not need a day off after pitching two innings. 

2 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Completely disagree. He's making it clear that the bullpen is going to be used a lot. He wants guys that can go out and pitch a lot, not need a day off after pitching two innings. 

Well this managing style of acting like it's game 6 and 7 of the NLCS and emptying your bullpen at 9 innings is going to rear its head here in the 11th.

He's over-analyzing and over-managing without thinking down the road. It might sound like guys shouldn't need a day off after pitching two innings but the reality is that this was a game with a shortened pen already because of the decision yesterday. And more of the same today.

What do we do if this game keeps dragging out and we have another close game tomorrow?

Well this managing style of acting like it's game 6 and 7 of the NLCS and emptying your bullpen at 9 innings is going to rear its head here in the 11th.

He's over-analyzing and over-managing without thinking down the road. It might sound like guys shouldn't need a day off after pitching two innings but the reality is that this was a game with a shortened pen already because of the decision yesterday. And more of the same today.

What do we do if this game keeps dragging out and we have another close game tomorrow?

Then we pitch 9 guys tomorrow and everybody gets a day off Sunday.

4 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Then we pitch 9 guys tomorrow and everybody gets a day off Sunday.

Two problems with this.

1) We have only 1 pitcher available the rest of the game. Jake Thompson. It's the 11th inning. That shouldn't happen.

2) Our bullpen actually isn't that good right now. Kapler got bailed out that Crawford threw a laser to home plate to get that runner out. I forget who was pitching but he nearly blew it.

Edited by RollEagles

Two problems with this.

1) We have only 1 pitcher available the rest of the game. Jake Thompson. It's the 11th inning. That shouldn't happen.

2) Our bullpen actually isn't that good right now. Kapler got bailed out that Crawford threw a laser to home plate to get that runner out. I forget who was pitching but he nearly blew it.

Well, Thompson is capable of going 6 more innings. And the bullpen is fine. It would be nice to have Hunter and Neshek healthy, but it's not terrible. That doesn't change that Pivetta needed yanked tonight and Kapler got him at the right time.

Just now, utley4568 said:

Well, Thompson is capable of going 6 more innings. And the bullpen is fine. It would be nice to have Hunter and Neshek healthy, but it's not terrible. That doesn't change that Pivetta needed yanked tonight and Kapler got him at the right time.

I agree that Pivetta needed to get pulled. He was done

I agree that Pivetta needed to get pulled. He was done

Which is why I'm fine with the bullpen management today. I'm fine with yesterday too. Nola got hit hard in back to back batters and was on his third time through the order with Freeman up.

7 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Which is why I'm fine with the bullpen management today. I'm fine with yesterday too. Nola got hit hard in back to back batters and was on his third time through the order with Freeman up.

I disagree about Nola. Hit hard or not. He's the ace and supposed to be one of the better pitchers in the NL. If he's not capable of working through a bad inning through 68 pitches, he's not nearly as good as we've been saying

Nice to get the first win. Glad to somehow win that. Thought it was gone until that review overturned it.

Kingery looks good. Love Crawford in the field. Hoskins being Hoskins. Santana with his first big play in a Phillies jersey.

I disagree about Nola. Hit hard or not. He's the ace and supposed to be one of the better pitchers in the NL. If he's not capable of working through a bad inning through 68 pitches, he's not nearly as good as we've been saying

It's not about that. It's about putting him in, and the rest of the players, in a spot to succeed. Pulling him out was the right move.

Nice to get the first win. Glad to somehow win that. Thought it was gone until that review overturned it.

Kingery looks good. Love Crawford in the field. Hoskins being Hoskins. Santana with his first big play in a Phillies jersey.

Carlos is going to be more important for this team than Arrieta. I love having him on this team

• Like 1