The Philadelphia Phillies Thread

mse326

Just now, ninjapirate said:

Right but if you look at that stats. A poor defensive first basemen that hits below average and is right handed isn't exactly a sought after asset. 

I'm with you. Trying to put myself in his shoes. Based on the guys he seems to like, Joseph doesn't seem like one of Klentak's guys. 

7 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

I'm with you. Trying to put myself in his shoes. Based on the guys he seems to like, Joseph doesn't seem like one of Klentak's guys. 

Meh i think matt has screwed up a fair bit so far in his career. Don't think he came out on the better end of any trade he has ever made yet. His one good move so far has been an extension to odubel. 

3 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Meh i think matt has screwed up a fair bit so far in his career. Don't think he came out on the better end of any trade he has ever made yet. His one good move so far has been an extension to odubel. 

He hasn't really done much, which is a fair criticism. No real significant trades for him to make, outside of Giles, and I still like that trade. We were kind of in a holding pattern as most of our top prospects weren't ready, but were close enough not to make a commitment at any positions.

This offseason I think we finally start to see some movement with the team. A decision should be made between Cesar and Kingery, should see Galvis, Rupp and Joseph go, possibly even Franco.

1 minute ago, utley4568 said:

He hasn't really done much, which is a fair criticism. No real significant trades for him to make, outside of Giles, and I still like that trade. We were kind of in a holding pattern as most of our top prospects weren't ready, but were close enough not to make a commitment at any positions.

This offseason I think we finally start to see some movement with the team. A decision should be made between Cesar and Kingery, should see Galvis, Rupp and Joseph go, possibly even Franco.

We were promised Yankees South and all we got so far has been status quo phillies. So i am wildly disappointed with the lack of creative ways attempted to try and improve the farm or team. 

We were promised Yankees South and all we got so far has been status quo phillies. So i am wildly disappointed with the lack of creative ways attempted to try and improve the farm or team. 

To be fair, the Yankees aren't creative either. If we were gonna be creative, we'd be Braves North. Yankees South means we're about to shell out some money once this team starts to win. The offseason of 2018 always seemed like the main target, with a possibility that moves get made this year.

Just now, utley4568 said:

To be fair, the Yankees aren't creative either. If we were gonna be creative, we'd be Braves North. Yankees South means we're about to shell out some money once this team starts to win. The offseason of 2018 always seemed like the main target, with a possibility that moves get made this year.

The yankees actually spend money in the international markets the phillies dont. 

The yankees actually spend money in the international markets the phillies dont. 

Do they though? I've always like our international approach. It's the one facet of this team that is tough to question, because Sal Agostinelli does a phenomenal job. He has a great eye for talent, and I think it's smarter to allow him to just use his allotment every year than to go overboard and handcuff him because of it.

Who on the Yankees is a true international guy that they acquired that way by way overspending. Tanaka is the only one I can think of. I could be missing some though. Sanchez I guess technically but $3M isn't outside of a pool allotment or anything like that.

Just now, utley4568 said:

Do they though? I've always like our international approach. It's the one facet of this team that is tough to question, because Sal Agostinelli does a phenomenal job. He has a great eye for talent, and I think it's smarter to allow him to just use his allotment every year than to go overboard and handcuff him because of it.

Who on the Yankees is a true international guy that they acquired that way by way overspending. Tanaka is the only one I can think of. I could be missing some though. Sanchez I guess technically but $3M isn't outside of a pool allotment or anything like that.

The yankees signed like almost every top 20 kid just 2 years ago. You don't think that will benefit them in the long run?

The Ortiz year leading up to the signing period there was all this talk of the phillies signing all these guys and then reality sets in and they dont even go over their pool. Screw matt klentak he's a loser. 

Amaro was the GM when we signed Ortiz

1 minute ago, ninjapirate said:

The yankees signed like almost every top 20 kid just 2 years ago. You don't think that will benefit them in the long run?

I think it could, but I also think we're just as likely to benefit. Again, we're talking 16 year old kids. They don't have a proven system of having an eye for talent. Agostinelli found Cesar, Franco, Neris, Sixto, Kilome, Suarez, Medina, and Tocci. All guys who look like potential major leaguers. The Yankees have hit on one notable July 2 guy and that's Sanchez.

2 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

I think it could, but I also think we're just as likely to benefit. Again, we're talking 16 year old kids. They don't have a proven system of having an eye for talent. Agostinelli found Cesar, Franco, Neris, Sixto, Kilome, Suarez, Medina, and Tocci. All guys who look like potential major leaguers. The Yankees have hit on one notable July 2 guy and that's Sanchez.

yeah but the penalty says you can't spend over 300K on any one guy right? All those guys would still be signed even if the phillies were under penalty. 

Besides Tocci he was 500 or 600 K the first real money ever spent by the phils in latin america. 

Edited by ninjapirate

9 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

yeah but the penalty says you can't spend over 300K on any one guy right? All those guys would still be signed even if the phillies were under penalty. 

Besides Tocci he was 500 or 600 K the first real money ever spent by the phils in latin america. 

I believe the rules are even stricter now, but I could be wrong. I think it comes down to not wanting to limit Sal. Hell, they got some more pool money in trades, and paid down guys contracts to get better prospects. Both moves a stingy front office doesn't make.