New policy for the National Anthem

HDsportsfan

Just now, TXsteeler said:

Bluffing when?

My question is simple. Do you think the difference between the NFL losing out on these benefits or not all comes down to this contract with the DoD?

It provides a straightforward explanation for why the NFL didn't do the simple thing here, which is to continue what they did last year and simply not show the National Anthem on TV.

I have yet to see another rational explanation for their behavior, and why they are willing to risk an impending legal battle with the NFLPA.

2 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Imagine if you could just, like, not watch the pre-game ceremony if all you cared about in the first place was the game itself. Imagine if that was an option. One would think if you cared about the game and only the game in the first place you wouldn't even pay attention during the national anthem, especially at home on your own TV.

When has anyone ever not watched or listened to the pregame when they are "waiting" for the game to come on?

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:
8 minutes ago, youngosu said:

That doesn't mean it should take up anyone's time to do it. You wanna protest work fine. Wanna protest violence? Fine. Don't do it on my time. No one should have to work around what protestors want. Whether they are just or not.

Okay, I just don't understand how you deem the playing of a national anthem before a game as "your time"

Sorry, I just don't get how that can ruin your Sunday afternoon. Its not like the game is being canceled.

Go to the bathroom for those few minutes. 

I think you are letting it ruin your day. 

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Well most people can't afford private islands or yachts or even the time to get away for that. So finding things to do for a few hours on a Sunday does suffice. Don't know what kind of work you do. But I have to save my weeks and take them periodically or all at once. But I also like to get away for some time during the week. If I want to watch a football game I should not have to be subjected to that.

You missed the point, if your job is so stressful that someone kneeling for 2 minutes on your TV on a Sunday afternoon (maybe actually seen for 10-20 seconds of actual screen time) ruins your Sunday relaxation I don't think anything is gonna relax you. 

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It provides a straightforward explanation for why the NFL didn't do the simple thing here, which is to continue what they did last year and simply not show the National Anthem on TV.

I have yet to see another rational explanation for their behavior, and why they are willing to risk an impending legal battle with the NFLPA.

Based on how the NFL has ran into similar problems over things like domestic abuse problems and situations like Brady and Zeke, which cannot be because of the DoD contract, I'd say it's most likely just that the NFL leaders are honestly stupid people.

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

Imagine if you could just, like, not watch the pre-game ceremony if all you cared about in the first place was the game itself. Imagine if that was an option. One would think if you cared about the game and only the game in the first place you wouldn't even pay attention during the national anthem, especially at home on your own TV.

If ratings go down a massive chunk like they have. Why even defend a different way for people to watch?  These players are employees. They hurt business. The most logical way for your business to pick back up is to address the employees. Not the consumer.

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

When has anyone ever not watched or listened to the pregame when they are "waiting" for the game to come on?

Anyone doing it right starts the game 30 minutes late and gets to fast forward through all that plus most commercials until halftime.

Wuuuuu? So if people didn't get upset about them protesting then it wouldn't have become a thing? Protestors want to be heard. Had the kneeling not worked, more then likely it would have escalated into something else that got their point across to the media.

That problem wasn't going away. The point of a protest is to spark the discussion. Mission accomplished.

Except, like I pointed out, the discussion was had, the message was broadcasted and received, and for the most part people stopped caring about the kneeling or tuned it out. Until two specific instances sparked the debate all over again, refusing to let the issue move on and also signifying that despite the conversation appearing to have been had, the people who needed to hear the protest message didn't even receive the basics of it.

Just now, Calvert28 said:

When has anyone ever paid attention to the national anthem in their living room while waiting for a game to come on?

Just now, TXsteeler said:

Based on how the NFL has ran into similar problems over things like domestic abuse problems and situations like Brady and Zeke, which cannot be because of the DoD contract, I'd say it's most likely just that the NFL leaders are honestly stupid people.

I don't think a group of 32 billionaires are going to think about this for months, then unanimously approve something this stupid. I think the far more simple explanation is that there is a financial incentive.

I have a remote control and a DVR so I don't recall watching or listening to many pregame shows in years. 

Just now, PARROTHEAD said:

If ratings go down a massive chunk like they have. Why even defend a different way for people to watch?  These players are employees. They hurt business. The most logical way for your business to pick back up is to address the employees. Not the consumer.

I don't think there's been any proof or any credible person even suggesting that the kneeling has had a significant effect on ratings. The NFL is having the same ratings issues all cable has.

Just now, Darth Pees said:

When has anyone ever paid attention to the national anthem in their living room while waiting for a game to come on?

Admittedly I try to pay attention to the announcer saying "please remove your hats so we can honor America" or whatever so that I can mute my TV. It's a terrible song.

1 minute ago, PARROTHEAD said:
5 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

This would require believing that the protests and not all the factors that have led to lower ratings of just about every TV show are the cause. 

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't think a group of 32 billionaires are going to think about this for months, then unanimously approve something this stupid. I think the far more simple explanation is that there is a financial incentive.

Ok but explain all the other times they've done something stupid? Half these guys inherited their money, they could easily be stupid as hell.

3 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

There are numerous reasons why ratings have gone down, chief among them because people are cutting cable and the quality of games is getting worse.

But yes, some people are boycotting the NFL because players are protesting (the horror), and some people are boycotting the NFL because of the NFL.

Doing this as a "solution" to the kneeling issue only exacerbates the issue, shows you have no idea what the people were protesting about to begin with, and will only to lead to more division and discourse. This isn't a positive solution, is ultimately what I'm saying. I don't know how anyone could think it is.

1 minute ago, youngosu said:

Okay, I just don't understand how you deem the playing of a national anthem before a game as "your time"

Sorry, I just don't get how that can ruin your Sunday afternoon. Its not like the game is being canceled.

Because I don't want to hear or see it. That's not hard to understand. If you are barbecuing in your back yard. Should a Jehovah's Witness or some other person who wants to sell or preach something should they get to come in your yard or yell at you from behind it to listen to what they have to say?

1 minute ago, youngosu said:

Go to the bathroom for those few minutes. 

I think you are letting it ruin your day. 

You missed the point, if your job is so stressful that someone kneeling for 2 minutes on your TV on a Sunday afternoon (maybe actually seen for 10-20 seconds of actual screen time) ruins your Sunday relaxation I don't think anything is gonna relax you. 

And if you like the topic so much why not just go to the Huffington Post website to talk about it? Why should I have to go somewhere for two minutes while it happens?

Plus as you said. Protestors don't wait for the convenience and "you" support and applaud away for that. What if that moron pulled a Kayne when he didn't get his way with the media and decided to try and hijack every game by going out into the middle of the field with a mic to talk about and protest what he wanted?

Archived