New policy for the National Anthem

HDsportsfan

Stupid 'solution'. This is clearly an issue of free speech. The NFL thinks it's fixing this with segregation? Honestly.

I've never been a fan of the kneeling, but that's been because I think it's a useless exercise. It's not an effective method of protest.

Keep the anthem off TV. Keep everyone in the locker room. Or do what was previously suggested and have a moment of silence for injustice. This, however, is downright wrong.

5 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

If ratings go down a massive chunk like they have. Why even defend a different way for people to watch?  These players are employees. They hurt business. The most logical way for your business to pick back up is to address the employees. Not the consumer.

My God thank you.

We the viewers shouldn't have to listen.

There are businesses that want this protest to go away. I spoke to a BWWs manager and he said the entire chain has been impacted. Sunday is usually their biggest day during NFL season. Business is down 25% across the nation for BWWs on Sunday in particular. People have called in and said they will not be coming to eat and watch until the kneeling stops.

The NFL has been perceived as condoning the behavior, so they needed to remedy that, I guess. Not sure this accomplishes anything... 

6 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Except, like I pointed out, the discussion was had, the message was broadcasted and received, and for the most part people stopped caring about the kneeling or tuned it out. Until two specific instances sparked the debate all over again, refusing to let the issue move on and also signifying that despite the conversation appearing to have been had, the people who needed to hear the protest message didn't even receive the basics of it.

I think you missed the point of a protest. It doesn't end until the protestor ends it and that's if it hasn't taken off by then.

6 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

When has anyone ever paid attention to the national anthem in their living room while waiting for a game to come on?

And if someone decided to stop the game to talk about the "violence" would that be ok?

The NFL saw what the NBA did in the 90s when Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf kneeled in protest for the same reason Kaepernick did. The NBA then collectively bargained with their players stating they will stand and while players oblige they also work with the league to spread awareness to their social issues. NBA players wore "I Can't Breathe" shirts and the league let them, the league ousted a known racist owner recently. 

The NFL seen all that and didn't care until Kap sat down and now they're forcing their hand on the players. This isn't a solution at all and it only shows how far some of these owners have to come.

2 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

There are businesses that want this protest to go away. I spoke to a BWWs manager and he said the entire chain has been impacted. Sunday is usually their biggest day during NFL season. Business is down 25% across the nation for BWWs on Sunday in particular. People have called in and said they will not be coming to eat and watch until the kneeling stops.

The NFL has been perceived as condoning the behavior, so they needed to remedy that, I guess. Not sure this accomplishes anything... 

What's even worse is that some people will actually believe what you just wrote here in the bolded.

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Because I don't want to hear or see it. That's not hard to understand. If you are barbecuing in your back yard. Should a Jehovah's Witness or some other person who wants to sell or preach something should they get to come in your yard or yell at you from behind it to listen to what they have to say?

And if you like the topic so much why not just go to the Huffington Post website to talk about it? Why should I have to go somewhere for two minutes while it happens?

Plus as you said. Protestors don't wait for the convenience and "you" support and applaud away for that. What if that moron pulled a Kayne when he didn't get his way with the media and decided to try and hijack every game by going out into the middle of the field with a mic to talk about and protest what he wanted?

Just because they are on your TV doesn't make it the same as them walking onto your property. 

I'm just providing options since it seems to bother you so much. If you want to let your blood boil by watching I guess you can but I don't see why you would. 

Maybe go to Foxnews and rant about it during the anthem? Seems like it might help. 

Your Kanye example is not even close to what is happening. 

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

I think you missed the point of a protest. It doesn't end until the protestor ends it and that's if it hasn't taken off by then.

And if someone decided to stop the game to talk about the "violence" would that be ok?

1) So why did players gradually stop protesting as the seasons went along? The NFL wasn't punishing them. The teams weren't punishing them. Fans were already not watching by then, so why did they do it? Perhaps because they felt their message was received by then? No, it couldn't be...that's too simple.

2) So you've gone from "I shouldn't be subjected to watching these players kneel during the national anthem!" to....that?

4 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

There are numerous reasons why ratings have gone down, mainly because people are cutting cable and the quality of games is getting worse.

But yes, some people are boycotting the NFL because players are protesting (the horror), and some people are boycotting the NFL because of the NFL.

Doing this as a "solution" to the kneeling issue only exacerbates the issue, shows you have no idea what the people were protesting about to begin with, and will only to lead to more division and discourse. This isn't a positive solution, is ultimately what I'm saying. I don't know how anyone could think it is.

Why would I care about what the players were protesting about? They can do all that on their free time.

As an owner of a couple different businesses. Im not going to cast a negative light on them. And wouldnt allow employees to take time Im paying them to work to cast a negative light on my businesses. If they want to go home and protest, theyre more than free too. But not on my time while Im paying them. They best represent the business as best they can cause theyre all replaceable.

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It provides a straightforward explanation for why the NFL didn't do the simple thing here, which is to continue what they did last year and simply not show the National Anthem on TV.

I have yet to see another rational explanation for their behavior, and why they are willing to risk an impending legal battle with the NFLPA.

what grounds will the nflpa be going to court with? the nfl can implement certain things without the approval of players, has it come out that this isnt the case here?

can you think of a rational explanation that would make 32 billionaires unanimously approve this knowing it may not hold up and could cost milions fighting it.

2 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

2 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

What's even worse is that some people will actually believe what you just wrote here in the bolded.

Can you actually believe that some idiots will believe this drivel?  God it takes about a 10 second google search to come up with a number of reasons BWW is losing business. Grow a mind and go do the research. Sounds like the type of guy who would buy the bridge. 

2 minutes ago, youngosu said:

Just because they are on your TV doesn't make it the same as them walking onto your property. 

You missed the point.

I'm just providing options since it seems to bother you so much. If you want to let your blood boil by watching I guess you can but I don't see why you would. 

You've been responding since the beginning of this topic about how such an outrage this is and how these guys are speaking up for the voiceless. Your the one clearly bothered by the decision.

Maybe go to Foxnews and rant about it during the anthem? Seems like it might help. 

Your Kanye example is not even close to what is happening. 

Again you missed the point and that's just after explaining exactly what protestors do to be heard.

Archived