New policy for the National Anthem

HDsportsfan

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

The anthem wasn't the problem. The players made it a problem. Honestly I think they should have just kept a little black book and stonewall and blackball people who make controversy about anything.

It would have been illegal but almost impossible to prove but it would have eventually eliminated all the controversy without adding a ton of more drama.

Not disagreeing with this but let's be clear here, it was also the media and fans as well. 

The media wanting headlines for clicks and fans because social media has turned fans in this entire generation soft and thin-skinned.

2 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Most people probably don’t care if a player protests or not. It makes no difference to anyone unless you choose to get annoyed by it.

Actually most people do care if you preach to them. They will take one side or the other but fact is. Most people like to get away from that at some point during the week or day.

2 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

The media has a clear goal to create its own content and they latched onto this issue to keep the news cycle spinning. It would have went away very quickly if the media paid no attention to it.

Of course I agree with you. The owners too handled this poorly from the start by allowing it to happen.

Overall the Department of Defense spent $10.4million to the NFL for marketing and advertising starting in 2012. Give back whatever money they took for the 2018 season and eliminate the national anthem from games. It's a waste of time in an already slow game. Be done with this nonsense.

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Not disagreeing with this but let's be clear here, it was also the media and fans as well. 

True. But I still say the owners were the biggest problem by choosing once again to do nothing until it was too late. They didn't have to take a side, they could have just limited the exposure by dealing with CK in another way. 

32 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

They are required to 1) "stand" and 2) "show respect"

The language here is very important. The whole sentence in context reads:

This season, all league and team personnel shall stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem. 

This implies that kneeling or doing anything other than standing means that the players who were kneeling weren't respecting the flag. That's how tone-deaf this statement is. After claiming to meet with players and compromise, the NFL couldn't even get past the first thing players would say on this, which is that what they were doing was not about the flag or anthem.

God the NFL is stupid.

Just now, Calvert28 said:

Most people like to get away from that at some point during the week or day.

Yes! I don't care about politics. I watch football for football. My neighbor on the other hand swears he will never watch another game as long they "kneel". 9_9

8 minutes ago, youngosu said:

I know this is dangerous turf to respond too but honestly I think had it simply been white players protesting something the uproar wouldn't have occurred. 

You mean if you changed the party, issue, and situation a different outcome could've happened? Wow. Also, great example of why that would be the case. Sounds like your opinion is well educated and certainly not a falsely perceived intelligent stock rejoinder for every issue of this kind. 

It's almost as if you have nothing to add and aren't aware of that fact. Which is why I'm so glad you chose to respond to my post and offered lackwit nothingness. 

44 minutes ago, youngosu said:

And now its time for me to run away from this thread lol....

Please do, and don't quote me again. Don't bog down a thread already prone to unneeded responses.  

7 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Not even like 3 days ago Colin Kaepernick's camp disclosed they have evidence that multiple teams viewed him as a starter.

You cannot blackball a player in the social media/computer age, there would be records of a communication on at least one level that reveals the collusion.

Did they show that evidence? Word of mouth is very convenient as well as how they word it. They can and they are blackballing him and they will probably get away with it.

The problem now is that they should have done something immediately when it first became an issue. Had they, they wouldn't have the constant media coverage and maybe they may not be blackballing him now.

I remember many years ago Joey Porter made a scene when the Steelers won their first modern SB. He said some things he was gonna do when he went to the White House. Not even a week later he retracted every statement he made and said what an honor it was going to be to just visit the White House. And nothing else come from it. I actually laughed when I read it. Because you know someone in the front office pulled him to the side and either sweet talked or threatened him but the point is it was done behind closed doors and it got the job done. No more drama.

8 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yes! I don't care about politics. I watch football for football. My neighbor on the other hand swears he will never watch another game as long they "kneel". 9_9

I think we can all agree to this, so why not just get rid of the national anthem and be rid of political BS before games since it's essentially being turned into forced nationalism which has no impact on the game and was only introduced to make money in the first place? Why exacerbate a clearly sensitive issue and continue to drive a wedge between fans/players/owners/the league like this? 

There's no way this rule change isn't going to backfire on the NFL. Even if it's not this year, when the lockout happens in 2021 you can bet your rear-end that the NFLPA will remember all this garbage when they come to the table to negotiate the next CBA.

Simpler solution would have been to leave things the same for the players and fine the announcers every time they mention it. I can respect the right to protest, and it happening during the anthem, which admittedly I rarely am tuned in for, so it didn't disrupt the game. What disrupted the game was that half of the commentary during half time and way to much during the game was focused on something that wasn't at all related to what was happening on the field during the 60 minutes of playing time and during halftime, things that weren't related to why people were watching the NFL. And while we're at it, can we fine the announcers for every time they get someones name wrong?

17 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:
21 minutes ago, youngosu said:

Because they are the ones who started the drama? Actions can speak a whole lot louder then words. Hence why we are here.

Until Trump decided he needed a nice distraction this was a small story so yes it was the people against it that started the damn drama. 

18 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

But what I said is true. The "silent majority" is a thing incase you missed the last election. But people turn on football to watch football. They turn it on to watch political opinions from different people. I don't know where you actually got that idea from.

I'm not sure you know what the word "majority" means. They guy that won the last election didn't win by getting the "majority" 

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Exactly. People do care about this country. And yes they care about the flag. Alot of people have a strict view on how it should be handled. The whole thing deviated from a time honored tradition to make a spectacle.

People wake up in the morning or are getting back from Chruch or doing w/e. Then they want to sit down and watch the game. They may be doing it by themselves because they love the game. Or maybe they have family and friends over and that's tradition too. People turn on the TV go to their favorite team because it's not just a way of killing time. It's a way to get away from the rest of the world. You're not focusing on a demographic because the only color you care about is whether or not it's stopping or scoring a TD in the color jersey you support. It's fun, it's maddening and relaxing at the same time. But all the drama that exists with it is with the game. Just the game. Not the outside world.

The kneeling ruined that. Owners want to get back to that where the NFL is the place where people go on a Sunday to spend the afternoon. If the "opinions" of the outside world were really that important to everyone. Then they wouldn't be watching the game. They would be watching the news, or out in the streets protesting. They don't want that crap on their TV screens or at the game where they come for recreation.

That's what the protestors and people who support them don't understand. Whether we care or not is not the point. We may be going after the game to read up on the articles, or see where the protests are going. But for that hour and a half or 2 hours that the game is on. We don't want to see or hear that sh!t.

1 minute ago, The Gnat said:

And while we're at it, can we fine the announcers for every time they get someones name wrong?

I'd say get rid of them all. Just let me watch the game with the crowd noise and line calls. Let me watch the game how I want to watch it, not with some former player telling me what to look at.

7 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

I think we can all agree to this, so why not just get rid of the national anthem and be rid of political BS before games since it's essentially being turned into forced nationalism which has no impact on the game and was only introduced to make money in the first place? Why exacerbate a clearly sensitive issue and continue to drive a wedge between fans/players/owners/the league like this? 

There's no way this rule change isn't going to backfire on the NFL. Even if it's not this year, when the lockout happens in 2021 you can bet your rear-end that the NFLPA will remember all this garbage when they come to the table to negotiate the next CBA.

The real answer is a combination of finance on the part of the NFL and coercive advertising on the part of the DoD.

Let's be real honest about what the DoD wants here. They want the National Anthem played on television in front of an audience that is predominantly male, conservative, and middle class or lower. They want those high school aged or younger kids to grow up seeing people in fancy uniforms, then panning to a guy who is the size of a superhero in his pads on your favorite team who is super patriotic during the National Anthem. They want people thinking, "If I join the military, I can be like JJ Watt" or "If I join the military, JJ Watt will like me".

So they're willing to pay a ton of money for the players to stand out there. The players aren't just bystanders - they are the product of this advertisement as much as the singer or the flag or the planes flying overhead.

Which is why it's so hypocritical of the NFL to simultaneously market their jingoism/patriotism while trying to shut them up at every opportunity.

Archived