Tennis Thread

DoleINGout

I don't know how Fed pulled that off. That is two ridiculous escapes this tournament.

I think he needs Raonic to pull the upset tonight though if he wants to win the next round. He just hasn't looked good all tournament (possibly injury related). Especially the serve which is the one place he's still better than Joker and Nadal. 

Nadal's loss reminds me of why I think just counting majors won isn't enough when comparing the current top 3 (and probably best ever top 3)

This loss broke Nadal's personal best streak of 7 consecutive major semifinals. Federer's record is 23. That is a remarkable difference. Djokovic's best is 14.

Rodger made 36 consecutive major quarters. Nadal's best is 11 (he is currently on a streak of 10). Djokovic's best is 28.

Even making finals. Rodger has the record of 10 consecutive. Nadal's best is 5. Djokovic's best is 6

Rodger and Djokovic for that matter are just so much more consistent at going deep in the tournaments. 

Men's tennis is nuts, man. Since 2004, only 9 men have won a major. For reference, 25 different women have won a major in the same time frame (26 if Kenin wins). 10 women have won a major since 2017 FFS lol.

Federer (19x)
Nadal (19x)
Djokovic (16x)
Murray (3x) 
Wawrinka (3x)
Cilic (1x)
del Potro (1x)
Gaudio (1x)
Safin (1x)

Edited by beekay414

It's hilarious to me that Roy Emerson and Rod Laver are the only men's players to win the double career grand slam because of Nadal's dominance at the French. Novak and Fed are pretty lucky to get the career slam considering that. I mean, 12 titles in 15 years at the same event? That'll never happen again.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, beekay414 said:

It's hilarious to me that Roy Emerson and Rod Laver are the only men's players to win the double career grand slam because of Nadal's dominance at the French. Novak and Fed are pretty lucky to get the career slam considering that. I mean, 12 titles in 15 years at the same event? That'll never happen again.

And both were pretty clearly the #2 player on clay for a good 3-4 year period at least. It was ONLY Nadal stopping them. Just nuts.

It also makes me sad to think of what Soderling maybe could have done had the injuries and mono not come. Not saying he would have challenged Nadal's dominance, but he was rounding into form and beating or at least staying tough with top players. At the very least he seemed like he could be a Wawrinka, someone that could potentially have beat those top 4 guys and the possibility of stealing some major wins by getting hot.

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

And both were pretty clearly the #2 player on clay for a good 3-4 year period at least. It was ONLY Nadal stopping them. Just nuts.

It also makes me sad to think of what Soderling maybe could have done had the injuries and mono not come. Not saying he would have challenged Nadal's dominance, but he was rounding into form and beating or at least staying tough with top players. At the very least he seemed like he could be a Wawrinka, someone that could potentially have beat those top 4 guys and the possibility of stealing some major wins by getting hot.

Yep. Soderling was the first player to take down Rafa at Roland Garros so he definitely could've been a problem at the other majors. I mean, the dude last played at age 26 because of what you described. He had been deep at several majors, including the finals at Roland Garros back to back years. He was also a top 5 player at one point too. It sucks what happened to him. As a huge Wawrinka guy, I'm 100% certain that Soderling could've been on par with Stan.

Another guy derailed by injuries was Juan Martin del Potro. At least he got one major victory before they took their toll.