TRADE: The Eagles Acquire CB Ronald Darby from Buffalo for WR Jordan Matthews + 2018 Third-Round Pick

Blahstoise

I was ecstatic when I read about this trade. 

I always have been a J Matt supporter and I do think losing him likely hurts us at WR right now as he was Carson's favorite target and also gotta remember that those two were very close friends. 

I mean, Matthews' production can be reproduced relatively easily. My biggest worry is if Alshon gets hurt....

But I see Ertz starting where he left off in 2016 where he had something like the most catches and yards in the entire NFL of any receivers in the last 4 games. This is still a WR/TE group that will be pretty good with two possible studs in Alshon and Ertz

As for Darby...... People are seriously underrating that dude. He has been better than Gilmore since he stepped on the field in 2015 and look at their respective salaries lol.  

Darby's best year was his rookie season under none other than......JIM SCHWARTZ. I think we not only will be above avg at CB this year but that we also will have a top 3 CB duo come 2018 with Darby and Jones. 

Our defense now should , barring catastrophic injuries, be maybe the 2nd or 3rd best in the entire league.

On 8/13/2017 at 0:50 PM, Phire said:

You read these articles and the media is acting like Carson and others are huddled in some dark corner crying tears into their blankies. Then you watch them speak in videos and all they're saying is yeah he was a friend but it's a business and we move on. Don't let the click-bait fool you.

http://www.espn.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/21664/carson-wentz-eagles-teammates-taking-jordan-matthews-trade-hard

I'm not disagreeing that ESPN as well as others post click bait-ey things but i'm sure its a tough loss for a young locker room. That said taking emotions out of it this is a good move for the team overall and they seem to acknowledge that even though many of the people in this article lost a friend.

2 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

If Alshon gets hurt, Jordan Matthews wasn't making up his production anyway.

Considering Alshon is directly taking away Jordan's production as the former #1 I'd disagree with that but its a moot argument since he isn't here anymore.

6 hours ago, BLick12 said:

Yeah, I do agree with this.  I'm just not sold he'll be anywhere close to the guy to cover the talented #1s that are in this division.  I'm hopeful we got ourselves a #2 corner, just seems like a lot to pay to get one.  

And I was excited going into this season with all the options that Wentz would have.  Now basically the only guaranteed upgrade on our receiving corps is Alshon Jeffery, who rarely plays an entire season.  I know people have been happy with Torrey Smith in camp, but he's coming off a couple of abysmal years on the 49ers, hopefully that had more to do with the QB play and the team around him than simply his play declining.  

Eh, no such thing as a sure thing in the NFL. I feel similarly about Darby. Doubt he'll ever be the guy to shut down Beckham or Dez.

Still, a starting CB is a starting point. We need actual starting corners if we ever want to compete. As it stands, this team has spent several years testing the hypothesis that you can do without real starters at CB and use the pass rush to compensate. It has been a failure.

I hope Sidney Jones ends up being a true #1, but he sure won't be this year. Optimist in me sees him and Darby being similar to Troy Vincent and Sheldon Brown. But even if it doesn't play out like that, we've got to try. This experiment at CB needs to stop.

6 minutes ago, Iggles said:

I hope Sidney Jones ends up being a true #1, but he sure won't be this year. Optimist in me sees him and Darby being similar to Troy Vincent and Sheldon Brown. But even if it doesn't play out like that, we've got to try. This experiment at CB needs to stop.

I think a second and third round pick in this draft points to the Eagles agreeing with you.

Didn't Leodis Mekelvin supposedly look good in Schwartz's Buffalo defense as well?

I'll start by saying that corner in today's NFL is an incredibly difficult position, especially in the NFC East.  But it is hard to imagine a more ideal place to play the position than in this defense with Schwartz's style.  It's not Jim Johnson's maniacally deceptive, blitz-heavy defense, but with this d-line they should still generate pressure consistency with 4, and that'll take pressure off the corners.  The reason I was so bullish on Nolan Carroll last year, is because I thought he played the perfect style to be successful in this defense.  Might not be the best cover guy, but he takes chances and with this pass rush, you're bound to be able to jump some routes when the QB needs to get the ball out quick.  We saw it at times, but obviously his inability to locate the ball in the air and McKelvin getting roasted regularly on the other side proved to be too much for the d-line to overcome.  I still think having an aggressive corner that'll sit on routes and drive up field could be dangerous with this defense.  I don't know if Roby is that guy, I haven't watched nearly enough of him, but I think if he's even an average starting corner, he should be able to find success with the defense in front and behind him.

2 hours ago, BLick12 said:

Uh, playing wide receiver?  He also has a way better catch radius, is way more reliable simply being in the right spot, and is way better adlibbing for his QB when things break down.  Nelson can run after the catch, and yet he averages less yards per catch than J-Matt who only catches short crap over the middle, right? Makes sense.

His catch radius is definitely not way better. It's slightly better at most. And he's more reliable because he drops it less, Agholor runs the right routes too.

Darby, a second-round pick in 2015, is a significant upgrade at an important position. He’s been a starter for two seasons in Buffalo and seems to fit well in defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz’s system.

”Young player, skilled player, got some experience for a young player,” Schwartz said. ”He’s started a lot of games. He’s an outside player for the most part. We’ve just got to get him up to speed as quick as we can and see the way it shakes out. But excited to have him.”

Darby is spending much of his time off the field trying to learn the defense.

”There’s a lot you have to learn,” he said. ”You learn more each day. I’m in the meeting rooms a lot. I’ll be going home around 10.”

Archived