2nd year players most likely to breakout as STARS in 2018?

VanS

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Which is why your criticism is ridiculous and hollow. Nobody cares where Donald was drafted. That doesn't represent talent. It was a weak argument from the beginning.

My position is that Myles Garrett isn't more talented. J.J., before his injuries, was better. Myles Garrett isn't J.J. Watt or Aaron Donald. I think Myles will be a damn good DE, but he doesn't have the skill-set that those two have. 

I believe Myles Garrett is more talented than those two.  I cited his draft position as evidence that at least before any of those guys played a game in the NFL, most NFL GMs/scouts viewed Myles Garrett as the better prospect coming out of college since he went #1 overall while Watt and Donald were drafted outside the top 10.  Now that doesn't necessarily mean he will be better than them in the NFL.  I simply believe this is one of those cases where the guy who went #1 overall will live up to those expectations.

As high a hurdle as it is to believe someone can be better than JJ Watt and Aaron Donald, I believe Myles Garrett will be.   The good thing is we'll find out this year whether this is a good call or not because first ballot Hall of Famers like JJ Watt and Aaron Donald made their huge leaps as second year players.  Typically we know by Year 2 what type of player a guy will be.  I expect Myles Garrett to win Defensive Player of the Year this season.  If he isn't at least in that conversation, then I will agree with you that he isn't on the same level as Watt and Donald. 

9 hours ago, VanS said:

I believe Myles Garrett is more talented than those two.  I cited his draft position as evidence that at least before any of those guys played a game in the NFL, most NFL GMs/scouts viewed Myles Garrett as the better prospect coming out of college since he went #1 overall while Watt and Donald were drafted outside the top 10.  Now that doesn't necessarily mean he will be better than them in the NFL.  I simply believe this is one of those cases where the guy who went #1 overall will live up to those expectations.

It doesn't mean anything. It's a bad argument and an irrelevant point. I already pointed out why. Let's apply your argument to Tom Brady. I guess that must mean that Mitch Trubisky is more talented than Brady.

As high a hurdle as it is to believe someone can be better than JJ Watt and Aaron Donald, I believe Myles Garrett will be.   The good thing is we'll find out this year whether this is a good call or not because first ballot Hall of Famers like JJ Watt and Aaron Donald made their huge leaps as second year players.  Typically we know by Year 2 what type of player a guy will be.  I expect Myles Garrett to win Defensive Player of the Year this season.  If he isn't at least in that conversation, then I will agree with you that he isn't on the same level as Watt and Donald. 

IMO, Van, you know football, but you have two big issues: 1) It seems like you like to be a contrarian for contrarian's sake; and 2) You're far too hyperbolic in what you expect from players you like.

7 hours ago, VanS said:

Myles Garrett went 1st overall in his draft.  Aaron Donald went 13th overall in his draft.  The NFL clearly viewed Myles Garrett as being more talented than Aaron Donald when both came out of college.  Now I do respect Aaron Donald for what he's done in the NFL.  He's a first ballot Hall of Famer.  And is having a remarkable career.

But why do you think Myles Garrett can't do the same?  Myles just finished an injury plagued rookie season and still got 7 sacks in 11 games.  He looks in even better shape this year.  If he can stay healthy, the sky is the limit.  He could have 15+ sacks.  And if he does that, it means he's the best edge rusher in the league and definitely as good as Aaron Donald.

Myles Garrett is the next Bruce Smith in my eyes.

I'm sorry, but did you just say that a guy who has played 4 seasons in the league is already a first ballot HOFer???  I think Donald is good, but that is just a ridiculous statement.

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It doesn't mean anything. It's a bad argument and an irrelevant point. I already pointed out why. Let's apply your argument to Tom Brady. I guess that must mean that Mitch Trubisky is more talented than Brady.

Trubisky is clearly more talented PHYSICALLY than Brady.  Far more athletic.  And a stronger arm especially when compared to Brady coming out of college.  Now this isn't as big a deal at QB as it is with other positions because great QBs rely on more than physical skill and talent.  There's a mental aspect to the QB position in which Brady excels and there are a lot of intangibles important to being a great QB Brady has that Trubisky doesn't have IMO.

Brady didn't fall to the 6th round for no reason.  He wasn't exactly beaming with much in the way of talent. 

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

IMO, Van, you know football, but you have two big issues: 1) It seems like you like to be a contrarian for contrarian's sake; and 2) You're far too hyperbolic in what you expect from players you like.

In general you are right.  I do sound hyperbolic about players I like that are under the radar to most.  You think its me being a contrarian for contrarian's sake.  I disagree.  I simply stand firm on my convictions.  I only say what I believe.

With regard to Myles Garrett, I don't think I'm being hyperbolic about him at all.  He had all sorts of hype coming out of college.  Many talent evaluators had him with an even higher grade than Clowney coming out.  If he blows up this year and wins Defensive Player of the Year, most people won't be surprised.  He's not some mid-round pick.  When you go #1 overall in a loaded draft (as was the case in 2017), you are expected to be all-time great.

12 hours ago, megatechpc said:

I'm sorry, but did you just say that a guy who has played 4 seasons in the league is already a first ballot HOFer???  I think Donald is good, but that is just a ridiculous statement.

I'm assuming he isn't retiring anytime soon.

I guess a more appropriate statement there would be to say he's on his way to being a first ballot Hall of Famer.

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Which is why your criticism is ridiculous and hollow. Nobody cares where Donald was drafted. That doesn't represent talent. It was a weak argument from the beginning.

My position is that Myles Garrett isn't more talented. J.J., before his injuries, was better. Myles Garrett isn't J.J. Watt or Aaron Donald. I think Myles will be a damn good DE, but he doesn't have the skill-set that those two have. 

100% false, his raw natural skills are on an even plane with both. Whether he lives up to it is up to him, but to try to marginalize his skills is unrealistic.

17 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Better question, do I draft him in fantasy over Williams/Montgomery? Also, do you think he would be worth a slight round or two reach?

Packers RBs are valuable, the problem is like the Patriots, is finding out what one to go after.

Do you think he will be RB2 worthy?

Avoid that backfield all together.

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Trubisky is clearly more talented PHYSICALLY than Brady.  Far more athletic.  And a stronger arm especially when compared to Brady coming out of college.  Now this isn't as big a deal at QB as it is with other positions because great QBs rely on more than physical skill and talent.  There's a mental aspect to the QB position in which Brady excels and there are a lot of intangibles important to being a great QB Brady has that Trubisky doesn't have IMO.

Brady didn't fall to the 6th round for no reason.  He wasn't exactly beaming with much in the way of talent. 

In general you are right.  I do sound hyperbolic about players I like that are under the radar to most.  You think its me being a contrarian for contrarian's sake.  I disagree.  I simply stand firm on my convictions.  I only say what I believe.

With regard to Myles Garrett, I don't think I'm being hyperbolic about him at all.  He had all sorts of hype coming out of college.  Many talent evaluators had him with an even higher grade than Clowney coming out.  If he blows up this year and wins Defensive Player of the Year, most people won't be surprised.  He's not some mid-round pick.  When you go #1 overall in a loaded draft (as was the case in 2017), you are expected to be all-time great.

And that shows the flaw in how you define talent. 

32 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

100% false, his raw natural skills are on an even plane with both. Whether he lives up to it is up to him, but to try to marginalize his skills is unrealistic.

100% false. I'm not marginalizing his skills. He's simply not as talented as those two.

On 8/19/2018 at 8:57 PM, BAConrad said:

Dont get me wrong, I like Garrett a lot. I just dont ever see him being a DPOY player. 

You don’t think Garrett has a shot to be DPOY for his entire career?

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

And that shows the flaw in how you define talent. 

100% false. I'm not marginalizing his skills. He's simply not as talented as those two.

Just because jrry32 says so doesn't make true. Especially with no tangible truth to support your argument. Garrett has a generational body and skill set you can't argue that

Archived