2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

This talent?  The same arm talent that has him posting mediocre numbers?  This whole discussion is getting beyond nauseating.  We're literally seeing people do the exact same thing that people did for Christian Hackenberg a few years ago.  Constantly making up excuses for why the player isn't performing up to standards.  First it's his teammates, than it's the level of competition, and next it's going to be someone didn't teach him how to play QB properly.  I honestly don't think I've seen a group as a whole make as many excuses for a player as we're seeing with Josh Allen.  Yes, he's tremendously talented but at some point production and play have to match that talent.  And at this point, it's not even close to being the case.

While you're not wrong, he's way more talented than Hack

5 minutes ago, Zed Rational said:

A league that took Paxton Lynch in the first round won't be able to resist taking Josh Allen in the first round. Allen is more talented than Lynch.

If Josh Allen can put up even half as good of numbers as Lynch put up, maybe we can have this discussion.

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

This talent?  The same arm talent that has him posting mediocre numbers?  This whole discussion is getting beyond nauseating.  We're literally seeing people do the exact same thing that people did for Christian Hackenberg a few years ago.  Constantly making up excuses for why the player isn't performing up to standards.  First it's his teammates, than it's the level of competition, and next it's going to be someone didn't teach him how to play QB properly.  I honestly don't think I've seen a group as a whole make as many excuses for a player as we're seeing with Josh Allen.  Yes, he's tremendously talented but at some point production and play have to match that talent.  And at this point, it's not even close to being the case.

This has pretty much been my viewpoint although was hoping to be proven wrong this season by Allen. I don't even really understand the comparison to Cutler's situation as Cutler was playing in the SEC and still had better numbers than Allen does up to this point playing in the MWC. Let alone whenever Allen plays a team more talented than his own seems to fall apart completely. Cutler had some rough games and moments his last year as well but more often than not gave his team a shot and kept them comptetitive. It just feels like people are wanting this too bad and therefor trying too hard.

41 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I agree. But I think it's even a little worse. He's looking like another Logan Thomas imo.

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

This has pretty much been my viewpoint although was hoping to be proven wrong this season by Allen. I don't even really understand the comparison to Cutler's situation as Cutler was playing in the SEC and still had better numbers than Allen does up to this point playing in the MWC. Let alone whenever Allen plays a team more talented than his own seems to fall apart completely. Cutler had some rough games and moments his last year as well but more often than not gave his team a shot and kept them comptetitive. It just feels like people are wanting this too bad and therefor trying too hard.

I'd put the Cutler situation comparison at Clayton Thorson. I agree - don't like the Cutler comparison for Allen. Two vastly different situations in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, BrownLeader said:

I agree. But I think it's even a little worse. He's looking like another Logan Thomas imo.

Which is completely crazy if you watched him last year. I mean, he had warts on his tape, but man, you could see what people were going to drool over. No idea what happened this year. It's like the bottom fell out. I haven't used Thomas as an example before, but I get the fear of that. 

Just now, Forge said:

I'd put the Cutler situation comparison at Clayton Thorson. I agree - don't like the Cutler comparison for Allen. Two vastly different situations in my opinion. 

For sure, and by no means am I hating on Allen but as @CWood21 put it the discussion and excuses that are given and/or had for Allen are almost nauseating at this point. Take him for what he is at face value for right now is my take, he's one hell of a physical specimen who's going to need a lot of time and work.

5 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I mean, it's the whole QB-driven value all over again.  People rag about how teams are too desperate to find a franchise QB, and it's comments that keep pushing Allen back into that 1st round discussion that are the bane of those issues.  I mean, if this was a player that played any position other than QB, we'd be talking about them being closer to be an UDFA than a 1st round pick.  But because it's a QB we're talking about, you have to overdraft him in order to ensure you get him.

6 minutes ago, Scout said:

What trait(s) is Hackenberg better in? 

You're missing the point of my post.  You keep saying he's clearly more talented than Hack, yet you have yet to point out a single way in which he is.  Is it his arm strength, accuracy, or decision making that makes you arrive to this conclusion?  At this point, you've put out an opinion and stated it as a fact, which isn't the case.

3 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

For sure, and by no means am I hating on Allen but as @CWood21 put it the discussion and excuses that are given and/or had for Allen are almost nauseating at this point. Take him for what he is at face value for right now is my take, he's one hell of a physical specimen who's going to need a lot of time and work.

And honestly, if Josh Allen put up numbers closer to what Jay Cutler put up in his final season at Vanderbilt I'd probably be a bit more lenient to his situation.  But he's putting up even worse numbers than Cutler.

Archived