2018 FIFA World Cup Group E & Group F

LeeEvans

3 hours ago, Imarobot said:

I think in the bigger picture its worse for Germany. Brazil's loss was an embarrassment of epic proportions, but it was one game, in the world cup semi finals, against the best team in the world. Germany looked like absolute **** for 3 group stage games. They don't even look like Germany. They looked disjointed and lethargic and lost. Brazil was embarrassed and went right back to being a top team. I think in the case of Germany they're going to have to take a longer look in the mirror at what happened.

Again. In years to come, nobody bar the Koreans will remember this game. Conversely no reasonable football fan will ever forget 7-1.

Question. I can't say I watch much La Liga but I do catch Real games every once in a while. Every time I see Navas he is either more than solid or lighting the world on fire (like the 2014 WC and frankly even game 1 here he looked great). Why is he so disliked by Real's management and fans that they keep wanting to replace him? I get that their targets are also among the best in the world but I don't see him as close to a liability and has made big saves. I'd personally struggle to name more than a handful of keepers I'd take over him so what am I missing?

30 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Question. I can't say I watch much La Liga but I do catch Real games every once in a while. Every time I see Navas he is either more than solid or lighting the world on fire (like the 2014 WC and frankly even game 1 here he looked great). Why is he so disliked by Real's management and fans that they keep wanting to replace him? I get that their targets are also among the best in the world but I don't see him as close to a liability and has made big saves. I'd personally struggle to name more than a handful of keepers I'd take over him so what am I missing?

Real fans are the most fickle in sports.

He isn't a flashy name.

That's it.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

I hear a lot of comments about his distribution. Whether that warrants replacing him I don't know. 

24 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Navas is not good enough for RM.

That doesn't help me. Where does he lack that I'm missing? Or who are all these other keepers that should be rated above him that I'm not aware of?

Basically the guys I definitely rate above him
Neur
De Gea
Courtois
Oblak
Buffon (think he's still better but given age wouldn't take him and drop Navas)
Donnarumma (flip side to Buffon. Not quite as good yet I don't think but given age and progression I'd make that switch).

There are other good ones obviously, but I don't think they are better than Navas just on the same level

4 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

I hear a lot of comments about his distribution. Whether that warrants replacing him I don't know. 

And the name linked to them previously was Courtois.  His distribution can't be any better considering it sucks.

Navas' footwork is poor with leads him to end up diving for things that he shouldn't need to and making mistakes at times.  Despite that he is probably in the top 10 to 15 keepers in the world.  The first 5 you mentioned @mse326 are clearly better than him and then there;'s at least 5 more I can think of off the top of my head that are at least as good.  

Perez wants his team to be full of the best in the world, and failing that he wants he Spanish #1 between the sticks - and because Navas is neither that is why he wants to replace him.  He was spoilt by having Iker Casillas for so long

3 hours ago, mse326 said:

That doesn't help me. Where does he lack that I'm missing? Or who are all these other keepers that should be rated above him that I'm not aware of?

Basically the guys I definitely rate above him
Neur
De Gea
Courtois
Oblak
Buffon (think he's still better but given age wouldn't take him and drop Navas)
Donnarumma (flip side to Buffon. Not quite as good yet I don't think but given age and progression I'd make that switch).

There are other good ones obviously, but I don't think they are better than Navas just on the same level

Yeah, and RM should have one of them. They're the top team in the world.

3 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Anybody got any inside info on the South Korean egg throwing incident during their arrival home. Seems harsh.

You have to wonder what were the expectations of the South Korean public going into this WC?

I read it was only 2-3 people.  There are always 2-3 idiots, at least, in a crowd.

Archived