2018 FIFA World Cup Group E & Group F

LeeEvans

3 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

That happened at 0-0, so had they converted that they would’ve done exactly what they actually did when they went 1-0 up, and sit back. They had no business losing today’s game with the chances they had in the second half. And against Sweden they created more as the game wore on. The Mexico game they were poor. 

Creating chances but not finishing them, and being an absolute liability at the back is not deserving of progressing.

5 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Brazil.

It was in Brazil.

They were so hyped going into it after some good performances, especially being a strong Colombia.

Germany have been awful so far, so it wasn't a complete surprise.

yeah, but South Korea.... 

17 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Creating chances but not finishing them, and being an absolute liability at the back is not deserving of progressing.

But sitting back the whole game and waiting for the better team to commit more players forward is? Nah. 

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

But sitting back the whole game and waiting for the better team to commit more players forward is? Nah. 

Yes it's a tactic found commonly throughout football.

Portugal used it against Spain

Mexico against Germany

Iceland against Argentina and so on.

Unfortunately not every country is blessed with billion dollar academies and centres of excellence so have to rely on tactical nouse.

1 minute ago, texans_uk said:

Yes it's a tactic found commonly throughout football.

Portugal used it against Spain

Mexico against Germany

Iceland against Argentina and so on.

Unfortunately not every country is blessed with billion dollar academies and centres of excellence so have to rely on tactical nouse.

Im specifically asked if the team deserves to win, not how often it is used. 

7 hours ago, The Gnat said:

There it is, Korea breaks through, nice performance by them today defending well and getting some offense in. It's a shame Mexico is going to go through though.

Lol, wut. It would've been an absolute travesty if Germany got through. 

Well, that sucks.  Will have to find someone else to for with Germany gone.  Never would have thought they would be out at this point, but their play meant elimination was deserved.  Germany were not incisive enough in the final third and they were very vulnerable on the back end.  Defenders were too often left to fend for themselves.  And their only win was a last gasp winner at that.

Bright side is the Bayern contingent have more time to rest, I suppose.

3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Worse loss?

Definitely Brazil losing 7-1 at home.

My boss at the time was Brazilian and he was incredibly hurt, embarrassed and angry.  The fact that Argentina made the final added to it too

17 hours ago, drd23 said:

Definitely Brazil losing 7-1 at home.

My boss at the time was Brazilian and he was incredibly hurt, embarrassed and angry.  The fact that Argentina made the final added to it too

I think in the bigger picture its worse for Germany. Brazil's loss was an embarrassment of epic proportions, but it was one game, in the world cup semi finals, against the best team in the world. Germany looked like absolute **** for 3 group stage games. They don't even look like Germany. They looked disjointed and lethargic and lost. Brazil was embarrassed and went right back to being a top team. I think in the case of Germany they're going to have to take a longer look in the mirror at what happened.

Archived