2018 Draft Eligible OL Thread (OT, OG, C)

CalhounLambeau

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

After he was quoted as predicting McGlinchey could go top 10....man, did Brandt ever walk this one back lol.  xD

Brandt is pretty old and often makes unintentional mistakes about prospects, but what he does have, is a very strong connection to the Cowboys scouting community and if you ask me, his has access to their actual draft board, so it is hard to ignore his predictions.

Likely he is just correcting a mistake he made about what he was asked and I totally agree with him that McGlinchey is far more likely to fall to round 2 than ever get near the top 10.

7 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

40 doesn't matter though really. Doesn't matter if he's off if the test doesn't really matter. And, it doesn't matter that he barely passed other thresholds because he still passed them. That's why they're thresholds and not a sliding scale. Passing is passing. 

Unfortunately, they do matter and he is a very late rounder at best and likely an UDFA.

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Unfortunately, they do matter and he is a very late rounder at best and likely an UDFA.

Nah, they don't matter for OL. It doesn't test anything relevant to the position and teams don't care unless you run a historically bad time (and even they'll overlook it). I don't care if he's a late rounder or UDFA at best, I haven't watched the guy so I don't really care. But, I do know that his 40 time isn't going to effect his chances 

• 2 weeks later...

Real talk, Isaiah Wynn is a Left Tackle. Some people will doubt it because of his height, but Kelvin Beachum became a serviceable LT. Compare his height and arm length to Wynn's:

http://www.draftscout.com/members/ratings/tsx_profile.php?pyid=130789

http://www.draftscout.com/members/ratings/tsx_profile.php?pyid=80189

I think Wynn has more ability than Beachum. I think Wynn can be a very good pass protector at LT.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Real talk, Isaiah Wynn is a Left Tackle. Some people will doubt it because of his height, but Kelvin Beachum became a serviceable LT. Compare his height and arm length to Wynn's:

I think Wynn has more ability than Beachum. I think Wynn can be a very good pass protector at LT.

You’ve got to look at him there surely, it’s a position that just fits his skill set so well. Optics bias are a hell of a drug. How often do you watch a game and think, ‘wow this tackle is getting his *** kicked because he’s too short’ versus ‘wow this tackle looks the part, but he is absolutely terrible’? 

8 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

You’ve got to look at him there surely, it’s a position that just fits his skill set so well. Optics bias are a hell of a drug. How often do you watch a game and think, ‘wow this tackle is getting his *** kicked because he’s too short’ versus ‘wow this tackle looks the part, but he is absolutely terrible’? 

Agreed. The big question for me in evaluating LT (and OL prospects as a whole) is: Does he make it look easy? Wynn makes it look easy. He's remarkably consistent as a pass protector.

17 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Agreed. The big question for me in evaluating LT (and OL prospects as a whole) is: Does he make it look easy? Wynn makes it look easy. He's remarkably consistent as a pass protector.

Yep and was playing through a torn labrum for the last part of the season, including at the Senior Bowl where he was dominant all week.

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

But is he more valuable as an elite OG or an average LT?

What’s the expectation of Orlando Brown? Thought of as a late first rounder until his dreadful combine, he remedied things a little bit at his pro day. He certainly go after Miller and McGlinchey, will he last to the third round?

19 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

What’s the expectation of Orlando Brown? Thought of as a late first rounder until his dreadful combine, he remedied things a little bit at his pro day. He certainly go after Miller and McGlinchey, will he last to the third round?

I think he goes somewhere in the 2nd. Yes his combine was bad, but what he put on film for years shows what kind of player he is.

36 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I'm not as sold on him as a lot of people seem to be. What with his atrocious Combine workout (the numbers themselves, and what his lack of preparation suggests for his commitment to playing pro football- he had months to prepare for what he knew would be his audition for the NFL) and his unwieldy size, I do not think he can handle NFL speed rushers. But he may well be overdrafted owing to that same size, and his legacy.

For me, his ceiling is "serviceable right tackle".

Image result for orlando brown jr

His floor is "melting hot-fudge sundae".

Image result for melting hot fudge sundae

4 minutes ago, bzane said:

I'm not as sold on him as a lot of people seem to be. What with his atrocious Combine workout (the numbers themselves, and what his lack of preparation suggests for his commitment to playing pro football- he had months to prepare for what he knew would be his audition for the NFL) and his unwieldy size, I do not think he can handle NFL speed rushers. But he may well be overdrafted owing to that same size, and his legacy.

For me, his ceiling is "serviceable right tackle".

Image result for orlando brown jr

His floor is "melting hot-fudge sundae".

Image result for melting hot fudge sundae

He's a better prospect that Phil Loadholt, and he was a 2nd round pick who had a decent career.

Archived