Hunter has agreed to an Extension (5 yr / $72M total / $40M G.)

CriminalMind

Just now, disaacs said:

Agree completely.  

Maybe. Sure, he might have signed a larger contract in free agency, but would that contract have been large enough to make up for the loss of earning potential. Hunter is likely going to go from a potential $2M in the bank account in 2018 via base salary, to putting $10M+ in the bank via signing bonus. 

Thats a lot of money to try and recoup in a new via free agency. 

love this move, 2 down 2 to go.  For myself Barr should be the next one signed, it might even save us some cap room but at this point I'm doubting that but either which way a Barr extension shouldn't effect the cap much at all & I'd rather just see another key piece of our team reguardless of offense or defense locked up.  I just get the feeling that a lot of you guys will be very unhappy if Barr is next which would be an odd thing.  

Anywho good day to be a Viking fan .... SKOL

27 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Sure, he might have signed a larger contract in free agency, but would that contract have been large enough to make up for the loss of earning potential.

What "loss of earning potential"?

Conservative estimate of a UFA deal for Hunter would be $16M+ per year over 5 years. That's what Melvin Ingram got, and it's less than Chandler Jones or Olivier Vernon got. Adjusting Vernon's deal ($17M AAV signed in 2016) for the rising cap would have put Hunter over $18M per year. 

So instead of $72M/5 from 2019-23, Hunter probably could have signed a UFA deal next March for at least $80M, maybe $90M or so, covering the same time frame. In other words he probably left at least $10M on the table by signing early and staying with the Vikings. 

There's logic in Hunter signing early, in that he hedges against the risk of a potential career altering injury this year, and he gets his signing bonus in the bank 9 months earlier (plus of course he gets to stay with the team and the coach who've helped him develop), but the cost to him was considerable in terms of decreased total earnings, assuming his market value would have held up or increased by the end of this year. 

44 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I've been saying we had the money to re-sign all 4 for a while now.  It's probably archived on this forum somewhere as well although I did think if we were letting one walk it was going to be E.K. but that was obviously before our draft, now with Hill & Hughes in the fold that should have changed to Waynes

6 minutes ago, Boda said:

I've been saying we had the money to re-sign all 4 for a while now.  It's probably archived on this forum somewhere as well although I did think if we were letting one walk it was going to be E.K. but that was obviously before our draft, now with Hill & Hughes in the fold that should have changed to Waynes

I also have been of the opinion that the team could sign all of them. However, if I was running the show I would be happy to let one of them go in favor of signing a blue chip offensive linemen if one of them happens to become available.

If I was in charge and all parties were equally willing to sign I would make Diggs the highest remaning priority. I would defer Barr, Richardson, and Waynes until after the season and prioritize them at that point based on all the information the additional season brought. Bugdetwise, I would be looking to have enough cap space around for all three of them but I would be hoping that an offensive linemen becomes available that allows me to make a hard decision that sends one of them on their way (okay, the decision wouldn't be all that hard for me).

13 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I also have been of the opinion that the team could sign all of them. However, if I was running the show I would be happy to let one of them go in favor of signing a blue chip offensive linemen if one of them happens to become available.

If I was in charge and all parties were equally willing to sign I would make Diggs the highest remaning priority. I would defer Barr, Richardson, and Waynes until after the season and prioritize them at that point based on all the information the additional season brought. Bugdetwise, I would be looking to have enough cap space around for all three of them but I would be hoping that an offensive linemen becomes available that allows me to make a hard decision that sends one of them on their way (okay, the decision wouldn't be all that hard for me).

Just out of curiosity but who or rather what position would be your focus and who are some potential FA targets you'd be looking at bringing in instead(under the assumption all FA OL were willing to sign in Minnesota)?

With that said under your scenario I'd still choose to let Waynes walk over all of them just strictly based off our current roster but I'm a big fan of Hill & I've warmed up a lot on the Hughes selection even though I would have preferred other players.  I think if you have the chance to lock up your talent, you do it as soon as possible, especially when they've proven to be a fit in your system, I think if you wait until after the season you're just playing roulette with their price tags.  I think the only ones you wait on are guys who have struggled(Waynes) or are new to your system(Richardson) but thats just what I'd do if I was in charge but no hate on your strategy as it might allow for a more accurate salary of each player.

2 hours ago, Boda said:

I just get the feeling that a lot of you guys will be very unhappy if Barr is next which would be an odd thing.  

I just think that Diggs is far more important to this team than Barr. Not having Diggs is a much bigger step back to the offense than losing Barr is to the defense.

It also still irks me that Barr admittedly took 2016 off and didn't put forward his best efforts.

Who's to say he doesn't do the same when he's locked up for 4-5 years? Although he did bounce back nice in 2017, I still think there's another level he can reach if HE wants to.

There is enough money for everyone.

I agree that Diggs is more important to this team than Barr, however retaining them in different orders, is about retaining more cap space, and the team taking advantage of leverage when they have it. But Hunter was the more important piece of all them and we had the big leverage over Hunter so we used it.

53 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think Diggs,if he can stay healthy, will put up great numbers this year. I'd still prefer to re-sign Barr first, but I expect Diggs to cost more.

I'm glad Hunter got his pay. He deserved it!

I think Diggs will have a good year, but I’m not expecting his numbers to be that much drastically better than last year because I expect Kirk Cousins will spread the ball around significantly more than Keenum did.

Archived