World Cup Knockout Round 7/1- Croatia vs Denmark

drd23

Croatia (Group D 1) vs Denmark (Group C 2) @ 18:00 GMT (2pm US EDT)

The fourth game of the Round of 16 will be between the arguable form team of the competition in Croatia and the unbeaten Danes.  The two nations have played 5 times previously, with two wins each and a draw.

Croatia:

9c497e26ff3ff332a0696df294c385ba.png

Lead by an absolutely brilliant central midfield partnership of Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic, Croatia has arguably been the most impressive team in the tournament so far.  Their ruthless dismantling of Argentina in the 2nd group game was a joy to behold, with Rakitic in particular dominating that game.  They rested almost their entire starting XI in their final group game, who should all return in good physical shape.  Hrvatska will be hoping that this golden generation can live up to their potential and help them progress further in a World Cup than they have since advancing to the semi-finals in 1998. 

Luka+Modric+Ivan+Rakitic+Argentina+vs+Cr

Denmark:

denmark-football-team-logo-vector-01.png

Despite the fact that the Danes made it out of their group undefeated, they weren't playing all that well.  They could easily have lost against Peru and Australia, and the manufactured draw against France in the final group game to ensure they both qualified for the knockout rounds may as well have not been played.  Their hopes almost entirely hinge on the potential brilliance of Tottenham play maker Christian Eriksen, who scored the all important goal against Australia and assisted the winner against Peru, while relying on Chelsea starlet Andreas Christensen, Simon Kjaer and Kasper Schmeichel to keep the goals out at the other end.

World-Cup-LIVE-Denmark-vs-Australia-late

Prediction:

Picking on either form from the group stages or overall team talent/quality leads to the same assumption - Croatia should be too good for Denmark. Croatia wins 2-0

22 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I refuse to call Denmark a form team haha. They've been dreadful,

I didn't either and I would have thought my write up would have made it clear I thought they were terrible too.  Probably the second worst performing team to make it to the knockout stages

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

I didn't either and I would have thought my write up would have made it clear I thought they were terrible too.  Probably the second worst performing team to make it to the knockout stages

I totally misread that, my bad. I'm still amazed that they were able to advance, let alone get there without losing. 

Players on a yellow card who would miss the next game if they get another yellow in this game:

Croatia: Mario Mandzukic, Ivan Rakitic, Ante Rebic, Sime Vrsaljko, Tin Jedvaj, Marco Pjaca
Denmark: Thomas Delaney, Pione Sisto, “Zanka” Mathias Jorgensen

7 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Players on a yellow card who would miss the next game if they get another yellow in this game:

Croatia: Mario Mandzukic, Ivan Rakitic, Ante Rebic, Sime Vrsaljko, Tin Jedvaj, Marco Pjaca
Denmark: Thomas Delaney, Pione Sisto, “Zanka” Mathias Jorgensen

Those are some major players for Croatia in danger of missing out in future rounds. 

Archived