World Cup Knockout Round 7/1- Croatia vs Denmark

drd23

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Cos Jorgensen according to ref made an attempt to play the ball 

Shouldn't have mattered.  As soon as his foot raised up at the second part of the tackle that was equal to a trail leg catching on the follow-through.  No automatic red for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity as the last man literally leave no incentive not to throw the foul.

And I agree, it wasn't a poor penalty by Modric so much as a great read by Schmeichel (who went the same direction when trying to stop Luka later PK during the shootout - so he likely saw a tendency on tape and banked on it once too many times).  You could probably make the case that Modric doesn't switch up his second PK if the first one wasn't saved.

27 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Shouldn't have mattered.  As soon as his foot raised up at the second part of the tackle that was equal to a trail leg catching on the follow-through.  No automatic red for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity as the last man literally leave no incentive not to throw the foul.

Of course it matters. Now whether you think he thought he could get the ball is entirely different. If the ref feels it was a genuine attempt to play the ball (which in itself is hard to discern that he didn’t) then he has go by the rule. 

I'm sure all the English are getting excited by a Croatia-England semi final, but the English thing to do will be to lose to Sweden in a penalty shootout in the Quarters instead

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

No automatic red for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity as the last man literally leave no incentive not to throw the foul.

This. 

I wanted to take a hammer to the ref's skull, and Jorgensen, and Denmark, and their fans....

My rage issues aside.

There's no reason to take the game seriously if brilliant play from Modric and Rebic, along with the game winning goal born from it, can be erased by poor play and a foul which leads to an advantageous situation for the committing team. 

Denmark took away a no pressure guaranteed tap in game winning goal against them, and replaced it with the biggest pressure *chance at a goal situation offered by the sport. Their penalty?...... A yellow card.

I love the people mentioning the rule change too, like that somehow means that what took place shouldn't be mocked, criticized, and highlighted as F'n moronic. "Oop it's ah rule cant arguew it". Yea... how about we do argue it and spotlight the malignancy.  

Jorgensen had no chance at a clean defense. An ideal rule would've seen Croatia awarded the goal, Jorgensen sent off and suspended from future games. 

I'm not even a fan of Croatia but their play up to this point had won me over. Glad to see the superior team win in the end, especially after the nonsense.

6 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Of course it matters. Now whether you think he thought he could get the ball is entirely different. If the ref feels it was a genuine attempt to play the ball (which in itself is hard to discern that he didn’t) then he has go by the rule. 

Actually, it doesn't.  it's an entirely separate action.  He attempted to get the ball, failed, caught man and ground, and by virtue of the position he put himself in (by having to lean back to keep from eating the heel of Rebic's boot) he created additional and separate instance of contact when his leg elevated (raising and exposing spikes at that).  Even if you get the ball on a challenge, there is ensuring contact (i.e. trail leg, body or arms, new contact made).  The initial challenge can be negated by getting the ball or intent to get the ball, the secondary contact however - particularly if the initial challenge failed to actually win the ball, which if clearly didn't in this case - is treated as a secondary foul.  There was a pretty clear attempt to foul, made so clear by the fact that this wasn't a case of Jorgensen's leg just ricocheting off the ground and up at Rebic's upper legs, he raised that leg to make sure he brought down Rebic after he failed to make contact with the ball.  That's a clear as day foul and intent to deny an obvious goal-scoring opportunity - no different than the Colombian player that was sent off early in the match against Japan for the intentional handball that saved a goal.

This was a classic case of a referee wanting to have as minimal an effect on the outcome of a match late in the match and foregoing the letter of the laws of the game on account of it (and how he comes out of it looking).

11 hours ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Croatia earned that. It would have been miserable to see them lose after having what should have been a goal taken away with the missed penalty. 

Goal taken away from them?

11 hours ago, The LBC said:

No automatic red for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity as the last man literally leave no incentive not to throw the foul.

He was less than an inch from playing the ball.

If you just drag someone down or trip them deliberately it's a red.

Archived