BK's Top 100 Movie Badasses v2.0

beekay414

10 hours ago, cddolphin said:

dumbest scene in the movie and the (only?) reason it's not a 10/10

You really didn't watch the movie if you think this was the dumbest scene in the movie.

The scene is a microcosm of the entire movie.  Sorry you missed it. 

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

Do tell

Just note that I was being mostly sarcastic when I said that because there are multiple interpretations of the movie.  However, I REALLY like this one.  Not saying I believe this one 100%, but I really like it...

The entire movie is a chess match between MacReady and The Thing, so the chess match on the computer is foreshadowing the events to come.  Mac expresses confidence in having beaten the computer at chess.  When the computer puts him into checkmate unexpectedly, MacReady pours his drink into the slot and destroys the computer.  This is just like the end of the movie.  MacReady uses Nauls and Garry as chess pieces to help put The Thing into checkmate by destroying the camp, and then thinks he destroys The Thing with that final explosion only for Childs to surprise MacReady with a checkmate scenario (being the only two left alive, both too tired to do anything).  MacReady hands Childs a bottle of Scotch Whiskey.  Childs drinks from it, MacReady smiles and laughs.  Mac, Nauls and Garry had just run around with a bunch of bottles of that same Scotch filled with gasoline as Molatov cocktails to light the camp on fire.  Mac smiles because Childs didn't react to the taste of gasoline instead of Scotch, thus knowing that he is The Thing. 

It's said that the script confirms this, and that Mac had a flamethrower hidden, but I haven't seen proof of this anywhere.  I seem to think it's a pretty damn good theory, which makes the chess scene that much better. 

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Just note that I was being mostly sarcastic when I said that because there are multiple interpretations of the movie.  However, I REALLY like this one.  Not saying I believe this one 100%, but I really like it...

The entire movie is a chess match between MacReady and The Thing, so the chess match on the computer is foreshadowing the events to come.  Mac expresses confidence in having beaten the computer at chess.  When the computer puts him into checkmate unexpectedly, MacReady pours his drink into the slot and destroys the computer.  This is just like the end of the movie.  MacReady uses Nauls and Garry as chess pieces to help put The Thing into checkmate by destroying the camp, and then thinks he destroys The Thing with that final explosion only for Childs to surprise MacReady with a checkmate scenario (being the only two left alive, both too tired to do anything).  MacReady hands Childs a bottle of Scotch Whiskey.  Childs drinks from it, MacReady smiles and laughs.  Mac, Nauls and Garry had just run around with a bunch of bottles of that same Scotch filled with gasoline as Molatov cocktails to light the camp on fire.  Mac smiles because Childs didn't react to the taste of gasoline instead of Scotch, thus knowing that he is The Thing. 

It's said that the script confirms this, and that Mac had a flamethrower hidden, but I haven't seen proof of this anywhere.  I seem to think it's a pretty damn good theory, which makes the chess scene that much better. 

Okay that actually makes sense... but not until after you've watched the movie a few times and are looking at it deeply. Which is fine.

But the first few times I watched that film, I always thought it cast Mac as an impetuous person who doesn't think things through when responding to adversity (because he ruined his computer). Obviously I was interpreting it somewhat literally.

Archived