Training Camp 2018

big_palooka

On 7/24/2018 at 4:20 PM, NickButera said:

Have a bad feeling about Mack. Reggie has already set precedent that he'll pay players if and when they show up (Penn). But to stay away for this long may be worrisome. You have to figure a guy like Mack, you pay him. So I wonder what the hold up is. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/30/maybe-the-raiders-should-trade-khalil-mack/amp/

I've had a bad feeling about Mack for a while now. I dont see this holdout ending anytime soon,  and I hope Gruden doesn't lose his crap and makes a dumb trade.

1 minute ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/30/maybe-the-raiders-should-trade-khalil-mack/amp/

I've had a bad feeling about Mack for a while now. I dont see this holdout ending anytime soon,  and I hope Gruden doesn't lose his crap and makes a dumb trade.

STUPID... MACK has been the FRANCHISE since he was draft, and this is coming from a big Carr homer. (We both went to Fresno State at the same time).. Carr was in the running in 2016 until the injury but the rest of his career has been up and down.... Mack has dominated since Day 1 and entering his prime... I read we have 44 M in cap space in 2019, with most of our starters signed excluding(Melvin, Cook, DJ, Lynch, Bryant,  Gilchrist, Edwards) and we could easily free up money by cutting Penn, Gabe Jackson( good player but 10M rather have Mack), Jelly, Jordy, Carrier, L Smith, S Roberts if we really want more cap space for big extensions to Mack and Cooper

Sounds like a few young guys grabbing Grudens brass ring

• Marcel Ateman
  • Marquel Lee
  • Paul Butler
  • Eddy Piniero
  • Johnny Holton
  • Arden Key

From what is sounds, only downers so far are Conely injury and Mack hold out.... Sounds like Worley moving into starting lineup, and Irvin having a good camp and looking like the alpha of the defense....

11 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Sounds like a few young guys grabbing Grudens brass ring

• Marcel Ateman
  • Marquel Lee
  • Paul Butler
  • Eddy Piniero
  • Johnny Holton
  • Arden Key

From what is sounds, only downers so far are Conely injury and Mack hold out.... Sounds like Worley moving into starting lineup, and Irvin having a good camp and looking like the alpha of the defense....

I know he hasn't played a game yet, but do you think the success (in camp) of Key is giving Reggie leverage with Mack?

Don't get me wrong..I want Mack back.  But I just wonder how much that plays into it? 

2 minutes ago, Totty said:

I know he hasn't played a game yet, but do you think the success (in camp) of Key is giving Reggie leverage with Mack?

hopefully not, the more pass rushers the better. The Eagles just won a super bowl by having a lot of pass rushers, can't ask one man to be superman(even though Mack has been)

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I was thinking there was still some hope for Lee. maybe the game would slow down for him as he develops better NFL awareness, he was only 21 last year

That much hope that you have Victor beating him out according to your latest projected roster?

i like Lee, he fits as a run down thumper. Guenther had someone similar in Rey Maualuga at the Bengals so would be surprised if Lee doesn’t make the team tbh.

59 minutes ago, Totty said:

Don't get me wrong..I want Mack back.  But I just wonder how much that plays into it? 

Hell. No. ?

We're talking DPOY vs a guy who has to not only prove to be effective, but that he can stay on the field.

Like, I'm not stoked on the situation either, but I'm not tripping about it that much either. It'll work out.

Spilt milk but....screw KNJ lol

“You know I didn’t really ask much because when you change coaches or whatever it is, it’s part of the NFL,” Guenther said. “I can’t go through everything they were taught last year, so I kind of didn’t worry about it. I said, ‘Erase everything you had from last year. We’re going to start this book with a new chapter and we’re going to write every chapter as we go.’ I can’t really answer the question because I didn’t really ask the players much. We just said we’re going to start new here and this is what we’re going to do.”

By focusing on building from scratch, the players have been able to play naturally and not overthink which has helped force more turnovers.

“The defense is like night and day to me, from past two years to this year,” linebacker Bruce Irvin said. “Norton is my guy, I love Norton. Guys are flying around. Guys are doing less thinking. First day we had five turnovers. All last year we had 14 combined. We had two yesterday and I don’t know how many we had today, I’ve got to watch the film, but guys are going at it. Guys are battling. Guys are trying to get the ball. That’s what we preach, that’s what we harp on- getting the ball and getting it back to our offense as much as we can. I think the guys on defense are doing a great job and picking up the system, flying around and making plays.”

4 hours ago, Totty said:

No. Mack is probably the most dominate Dlineman in NFL. Key isnt going to be that.

7 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I was thinking there was still some hope for Lee. maybe the game would slow down for him as he develops better NFL awareness, he was only 21 last year

HIs issue is pass pro. He's doesn't have good sideline to sideline speed and gets picked apart by RBs underneath.

I love Mack, don't get me wrong here, but just for the sake of argument:

We had 1 strong rookie year and 3 dominant years from Mack so far and we had 4 historically bad years defensively overall during that stretch.

Obviously Mack is a great player, one of the best DL player in today's NFL and I wanna see him in S&B, but how big a difference can he make?

How much worse could we have been without him?

How much better can we be without him, but with PG at the helm?

Can we be a TOP10 unit with him in PG's scheme?

What do you think?

2 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I love Mack, don't get me wrong here, but just for the sake of argument:

We had 1 strong rookie year and 3 dominant years from Mack so far and we had 4 historically bad years defensively overall during that stretch.

Obviously Mack is a great player, one of the best DL player in today's NFL and I wanna see him in S&B, but how big a difference can he make?

How much worse could we have been without him?

How much better can we be without him, but with PG at the helm?

Can we be a TOP10 unit with him in PG's scheme?

What do you think?

The issue is talent around him. Mack has found elite success with no secondary, no interior pass rush and bad schemes. 

So yes, I think with a better group of coaches to start with and better talent coming in, there is a chance for Mack to take his game to higher levels. If they find an interior pass rush, Mack is going to break into rarified company. How many times has a QB been able to step into a clean pocket with Mack getting the edge on the tackle? It's ridiculous.

And let's not forget how historically poor the secondary has been. Even a small improvement in coverage to get Mack one more step at the QB would be something.

Archived