Stadium Saga, Part XVIII (Wilfs' future plans):

vike daddy

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Klomp said:

So I went to my first game at the stadium on Thursday. Can't say I have a ton of desire to hurry back to another game. I enjoyed myself and was glad I went, but I just personally would rather stay home.

It wasn't exactly I real exciting game to begin with

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Klomp said:

So I went to my first game at the stadium on Thursday. Can't say I have a ton of desire to hurry back to another game. I enjoyed myself and was glad I went, but I just personally would rather stay home.

I basically felt the same way. I love the atmosphere of a live football game, but the game is painfully slow when your at the stadium. 

9 hours ago, Klomp said:

Should've been at the Raiders game. Felt like the game flew because the team came out flying. The grinder game they played vs WAS may have played a role in that. I can't wait to go back myself.

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

why is that...?

You really don’t notice how many stoppages there are during a game until you go to one. The amount of times they stop play so that TV can go to a commercial is ridiculous. 

These games last over 3 hours, when really there’s only 40-45 minutes of actual football being played. 

There was a game this weekend where a team took a timeout with 2:05 left in the first half, the station went to commercial, they came back and played one snap, two minute warning and back to commercial. They scored on the next play, kicked the extra point then another commercial. Kicked off, then another commercial. It took them 20 minutes for 3 plays of football. Imagine being at that game and sitting through that. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

There was a game this weekend where a team took a timeout with 2:05 left in the first half, the station went to commercial, they came back and played one snap, two minute warning and back to commercial. They scored on the next play, kicked the extra point then another commercial. Kicked off, then another commercial. It took them 20 minutes for 3 plays of football. Imagine being at that game and sitting through that. 

how do they entertain you at the game during that time? video screen stuff? announcements?

I imagine most people just talk amongst themselves until play starts up again.  The modern game with pass, pass, pass causes a lot of it as well...if teams ran a lot more then games would go sooooo much quicker.  The evidence was the Washington-Vikings game last Thursday, which took 2 hrs, 39 minutes.  The Packers-Chiefs game on Sunday night took nearly a half-hour longer and the Browns-Patriots game was even longer than that (and those were just 2 other games that I randomly looked at for the time..I imagine most other games were just as long). 

An ideal clean football game shouldn't really last more than 2 1/2 hours...just as I say for baseball games which should only last 2 hours at the most.  Unfortunately, the leagues have done far too much or far too little (in baseball's case) and has mucked up the works.  The NFL should take the college game's lead and keep the clock running on any out-of-bounds play until they get under a certain amount of time at the end of the half or the game (my proposal would say the final 5 minutes of each half)...and they have to clean up the replay system, which I'm sure is one of the big offenders.  

Edited by swede700

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

how do they entertain you at the game during that time? video screen stuff? announcements?

Sometimes video screen stuff. Multiple interviews with former players in town for the game Thursday. Sometimes things like the Skol Line (drumline).

• 3 weeks later...

Fewer than five years ago, the Rams believed their new stadium would cost $1.86 billion. By late 2015, the number moved to $2.4 billion. Since then, the project has “gone off the rails,” thanks to vendor competition driven by a $14 billion renovation at LAX airport and an unexpectedly expensive infrastructure association with a field that will sit 100 feet below ground level. Heavy rain in 2017 delayed the opening of the stadium by a full year.

By March 2018, the price had moved to $5 billion. Officials with the company building the venue now reportedly refer to it as “our $6 billion stadium.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/21/cost-of-l-a-stadium-has-mushroomed/

15 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Fewer than five years ago, the Rams believed their new stadium would cost $1.86 billion. By late 2015, the number moved to $2.4 billion. Since then, the project has “gone off the rails,” thanks to vendor competition driven by a $14 billion renovation at LAX airport and an unexpectedly expensive infrastructure association with a field that will sit 100 feet below ground level. Heavy rain in 2017 delayed the opening of the stadium by a full year.

By March 2018, the price had moved to $5 billion. Officials with the company building the venue now reportedly refer to it as “our $6 billion stadium.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/21/cost-of-l-a-stadium-has-mushroomed/

And it will pail (sp?) in comparison to US Bank!