Update: Urban Meyer suspended 3 games

IDOG_det

14 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Even if we say Urban didn't know, that's still a firable offense because his wife knew, the other coaches in his program knew, local reporters and countless people involved with the program knew and Urban has always had a reputation for how deeply involved with the program at every single level with every single coach and employee he is.

Either he knew and did nothing or he didn't and was beyond grossly negligent. He can't be as deeply involved in the day to day functions of his program and claim ignorance and have that be an excuse. If anything that should be more justification to fire him than if he knew, because it takes an absurd amount of willful or gross ignorance to be unaware that this was happening with how many other people directly related to him, and the program, knew.

Again if all those people knew they need to be fired as well. 

1 minute ago, JTagg7754 said:

OK So is 2009 a part of this investigation? I was under the impression it was only the 2015 incident in which he fired Smith once he found out (or supposedly).

Again, I know Shelley and wives knew but I don't care about that. They are not the subject of losing their jobs. They are not the ones w/ their reputation on the line. I know them knowing leads one to believe Urban knew but their wives knowing shouldn't be enough to convict someone and ruin their career.

Option 2 absolutely seems more likely than option 1, there is no question about that. Likelihood isn't tangible evidence though. Not sure how much of it was a secret though. The police were notified about this many, many times. How can it be a secret after that? Unless I'm not fully understanding and that is certainly a possibility. 

2009 is indirectly part of this investigation. It won't be what gets Urban Meyer fired on it's own, but i does establish a prior incident with no ambiguity where Urban Meyer was made aware of this behavior, and elected to sweep it under the rug (this time by manipulation). If Urban Meyer sues Ohio State, the 2009 details are going to be included in OSU's case.

Shelley Meyer is absolutely at risk of losing her job. She's a Title IX, mandatory reporter, and she didn't report it. And if Urban leaves, let's be honest, she probably goes with him. But I agree, we don't have 10 page threads every time an RN fails to report.

Here's what we have on Urban today:

• We have 100%, hard evidence that Urban was somewhat aware (see the 2 texts above).
  • We have an entire group of people that are acting in a manner consistent with a boss who didn't want to act on this.

Realistically, we know he was aware and orchestrated this. But you're right that we can't prove it in a court of law today. OSU doesn't have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt by the way, they may not even need a reason to fire him if they pay out his contract. But let's say OSU wants to prove it.

Step 1, put on our OSU investigator hat. They are going to get every e-mail, text, and call every assistant made and Urban made from University accounts, computers, or phones. Did their wives also get cell phones? Shelley Meyer probably did. They'll get that too. 

Step 2. Then they'll start interviewing. Given that there is peripheral legal trouble for the coaching staff, those guys are going to roll over like a an old Jeep. If OSU wants, they'll get enough confirmation to bury Urban without breaking a sweat. Done.

Just now, buno67 said:

Again if all those people knew they need to be fired as well. 

I mean, agreed. They are all also mandatory reporters. You're not going to find me disagreeing that an entire program that brushed aside one of it's own beating his spouse for 6 years. Domestic abuse is serious, it leaves permanent, deep scars on everybody involved. Anybody else that knew and did nothing should be fired.

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Direct evidence? Are you really going to sit here and claim he didn’t know. You read what everyone read. Do you believe that this was all covered up without Urban knowing anything? Cmon man. Pretend it’s any other school. If this was all about Harbaugh or an SEC school, what would your statements be. Would you be defending that coach with “he didn’t know”. Even with evindence to the contrary. 

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Direct evidence? Are you really going to sit here and claim he didn’t know. You read what everyone read. Do you believe that this was all covered up without Urban knowing anything? Cmon man. Pretend it’s any other school. If this was all about Harbaugh or an SEC school, what would your statements be. Would you be defending that coach with “he didn’t know”. Even with evindence to the contrary. 

@buno67 has been very reasonable in this thread. I'd say the majority of OSU posters here have been.

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Dude relax, I haven’t been posting as a pro Meyer guy. I have been very neutral. Just posting stuff to add to the conversation 

12 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

These statements aren't contradictory. The text messages indirectly show that Meyer knew and acted on that knowledge, but there are no direct messages, from him or his wife, that directly indicate he knew. 

Yeah if the wife knew there are strong chances the husband knows but that’s going off of pure assumption tho. Need someone like his wife or another coach to truly make a statement where they can 100% say he knew. if not it be really hard to fire him. They need to speed their hearings up and get both under oath and have Zach share everything. 

Just now, buno67 said:

Yeah if the wife knew there are strong chances the husband knows but that’s going off of pure assumption tho. Need someone like his wife or another coach to truly make a statement where they can 100% say he knew. if not it be really hard to fire him. They need to speed their hearings up and get both under oath and have Zach share everything. 

I'm sure the reason that both OSU and Urban's statement were so nebulous and that neither contained any sort of denial is indicative that OSU believes that they used faculty communication systems or supplied tech to communicate with, which leads me to believe that they are simply working out the legal aspect of this and that he will be let go as the head football coach tomorrow barring something else coming to light.

The statements are just worded as such where I can't really believe that this ends any other way.

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Nah, you already have a preponderance of the evidence with text messages. See @IDOG_det's response on the previous page.

I wouldn't say any of this is "pure assumption" as much as it's basic deductive reasoning. We're not assuming anything, we're finding the most reasonable explanation for the behavior we've observed.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Nah, you already have a preponderance of the evidence with text messages. See @IDOG_det's response on the previous page.

I wouldn't say any of this is "pure assumption" as much as it's basic deductive reasoning. We're not assuming anything, we're finding the most reasonable explanation for the behavior we've observed.

Which also leads more to my theory that this is all just both sides figuring out severance compensation that's not the agreed upon $30M but will still be sizable I'm sure.

But OSU and it's body are under no obligation to have direct, legally admissible evidence. And they are better served by ending this as quickly as possible so as not to attract the Title IX enforcement people to dig into their program any deeper lest, I'm sure, far more heads roll.

Meyer will fall on his sword. And he'll be rewarded handsomely enough for it.

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Which also leads more to my theory that this is all just both sides figuring out severance compensation that's not the agreed upon $30M but will still be sizable I'm sure.

But OSU and it's body are under no obligation to have direct, legally admissible evidence. And they are better served by ending this as quickly as possible so as not to attract the Title IX enforcement people to dig into their program any deeper lest, I'm sure, far more heads roll.

Meyer will fall on his sword. And he'll be rewarded handsomely enough for it.

Yep. By the way, called it:

22 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Urban's screwed. If everybody really knew, his primary concern might shift to trying to get OSU to honor the majority of his contract. The alternative is that OSU conducts an investigation, and Day 1 they get all his texts, phone calls, and e-mails. They interview him, his wife, any remaining members of the staff, and any other employee who is a mandated reporter, and cross reference it with their records. And everything they get, writers can get with FOIA requests as long as it's a noteworthy story (read: as long as Urban's employed).

This is going to be a never ending **** mudslide. If OSU is smart, they wade 2 feet into this, realize how bad it smells, and cut ties. If Urban is smart, which he is, he realizes his leverage here is a quiet resignation where he still gets paid and his wife doesn't get in any trouble.

Archived