Update: Urban Meyer suspended 3 games

IDOG_det

44 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Nothing to do with it... except giving him a job purely through nepotism, talking his (then pregnant) wife out of pressing charges, and allowing him to remain in a position of power and significant financial gain for six years, all while everybody around him knew the abuse continued the entire time.

But other than that.

I wouldnt say he was given his job purely through nepotism. It helped him get his foot in the door. If Smith wasn’t nearly as good of a recruiter as he was, he would of been let go a long time ago. Dude was a below avg WR coach but one of the best recruiters in the nation. 

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Wasn't the stalking issue though this most recent incident and why he got fired, not the incident in 2015?  Or am I getting them mixed up.  I'm just trying to understand all this best I can and see how this might play out.

IIRC there were stalking charges in 2016 that led to the most recent incident being a criminal offense

I think this is a lot of really complicated legal issues being discussed here in regards to obligations of Urban Meyer and part of why he was put on admin leave.  They are probably scouring case law and his contract to determine where everything falls.

1)  What exactly did he know or didnt know.

2)  Does Courtney fall under the Title IX obligations for Meyer to report, including that of any potential stalking prior to the most recent incident that got Smith fired.

3)  If his statements to the media are considered a breach of contract based on what they conclude he knew, and if so if they warrant a dismissal or some other punishment.

Regardless of what comes from #1, #2 is probably the biggest factor in his future at Ohio State.  If she is not deemed to being protected by Title IX and therefor his requirement to report such incidents doesnt exist then there is a chance that he remains at Ohio State in the long run.  It then comes down to how they view #3.  If they see it as a mistake but by letter of the law he didn't break his contract they need to decide if they have him resign while paying him a lot of money or come to a mutually agreed punishment to satisfy the public while also agreeing to change the requirements for reporting.  If they decide they want to try and keep Meyer, which wouldnt be unthinkable consider what they would have to pay otherwise if he didnt technically broke any rules, then I could see a 6 game to 1 year suspension being agreed upon.

Now if they deem that she is protected under Title IX or some other action taken by Smith falls into their reporting categories, then there is no room for Shelley to keep her job and very slim to none for Urban, regardless of what he knew.

So i guess it comes down to how they view the Title IX/OSU reporting guidelines on whether Courtney falls into that category or not.

6 hours ago, brownie man said:

Yeah I cant see him surviving this 

wow man what a way to go

A simple "no comment" and we have none of this

thats a lesson I'll keep with me 

Sorry if it seems like I’m singling you out but that shouldn’t be the lesson from this....

The lesson should be to not allow your mentor’s grandson to stay on the staff and even bring him to a new job despite knowing he was abusing his wife. 

Don’t enable domestic abusers and don’t help cover up their actions.

Thats the lesson. 

3 minutes ago, WeaponX said:

Sorry if it seems like I’m singling you out but that shouldn’t be the lesson from this....

The lesson should be to not allow your mentor’s grandson to stay on the staff and even bring him to a new job despite knowing he was abusing his wife. 

Thats the lesson. 

See i dont get how he enabled Zach Smith to beat his wife or covered it up.  Zach Smith couldve beat his wife whether he was employed or not, and the police were involved so any cover up wouldve had to be done at that level.

Now should he have fired Zach Smith for his actions?  In todays climate the answer is most definitely yes, but when it happened DV wasnt as big of a topic and probably wouldn't have raised too many eyebrows if it came out.  That obviously doesnt take into account ones own personal beliefs but then it ends up coming back to things like why Peterson and other DV players are still in the NFL, should people that have been to prison be allowed to get jobs etc etc etc.  I dont agree with DV so please dont try say I'm condoning it.

3 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Does Title 9 only apply to students and employees? Someone on the local radio said that today. 

Based on the ruling recently by a Colorado circuit, that is how they saw it.  It was also partly on the premise that their inaction didnt increase the odds of the perpetrator of being able to continue as his employment had no bearing on his opportunity/ability to commit DV.

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Based on the ruling recently by a Colorado circuit, that is how they saw it.  It was also partly on the premise that their inaction didnt increase the odds of the perpetrator of being able to continue as his employment had no bearing on his opportunity/ability to commit DV.

So bc Ms Smith isn't a student it employee, does Title 9 not apply here? I think they used Colorado as an example as well. I wasn't too focused as it was highway driving and I'm one of the people who actually drives first and listens/does other stuff second lol. Seem to be a rare breed these days

2 hours ago, WeaponX said:

Thats the lesson. 

my bad if that came the wrong way

more so I'm saying sometimes you should just shut up it had nothing to do with the actual incident 

if he lied I'm glad it came to the light 

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

Not that it matters to the case but does this tarnish her reputation assuming any of this if true?

http://imgur.com/gallery/hCSMSYC

The first line of that text went like this...

"Urban is looking at a 3-4 game suspension, mostly because the #MeToo movement and the appearance the university must give."

Urban would have to be an absolute idiot to say anything like this to somebody, especially somebody who immediately takes the info and texts it out.

The second is:

"*Many members of the University have known about both her and him for quite some time."

This also makes OSU look pretty damn bad...

Very surprised someone's trying victim blame though.

Archived