Update: Urban Meyer suspended 3 games

IDOG_det

2 minutes ago, Raves said:

That was my only argument with how Texasmade was trying to phrase it.  If the requirement is to report, and no one reported it to the correct department, then they are all guilty unless they have physical proof that they all agreed that Meyer would report the incident and he didn't, but that would require text messages, recorded phone messages/physical meetings, something that would substantiate the claim, for them to keep their jobs.

If we were only to lose Urban, it would suck b/c Michigan will finally have a chance but also b/c of who he is. Fact is, this job will be highly desired and while we won't get an "Urban" getting his little brother won't be terrible and we could be much, much worse off. Losing EVERYONE though would be a major setback and one that probably hasn't been seen in the history of college football. The latter half of your post isn't very believable but hey, anything could happen. 

Fingers crossed this one comes out in our favor.

That was my only argument with how Texasmade was trying to phrase it.  If the requirement is to report, and no one reported it to the correct department, then they are all guilty unless they have physical proof that they all agreed that Meyer would report the incident and he didn't, but that would require text messages, recorded phone messages/physical meetings, something that would substantiate the claim, for them to keep their jobs.

Yeah, my impression originally was that assistants would punt to the HC, and the HC to the AD. According to Title IX here though, the reporting method for everyone is directly to the HR Dept.

1 minute ago, JTagg7754 said:

If we were only to lose Urban, it would suck b/c Michigan will finally have a chance but also b/c of who he is. Fact is, this job will be highly desired and while we won't get an "Urban" getting his little brother won't be terrible and we could be much, much worse off. Losing EVERYONE though would be a major setback and one that probably hasn't been seen in the history of college football. The latter half of your post isn't very believable but hey, anything could happen. 

Fingers crossed this one comes out in our favor.

Your program is good enough that you don't need to stick your neck on the chopping block for a guy who sheltered a serial domestic abuser just because he's a good football coach. You'll replace him with another really good coach and win a bunch.

2 hours ago, Raves said:

I think the problem with your thinking is, why do those other employees get a pass but Meyer doesn't?  Everything you point out why you shouldn't hold them responsible also applies to Meyer, he wasn't an eye witness, outside of a reported accusation that he tried to suppress the 2009 incident (i haven't read those reports/texts so I don't know) we don't know that he tried to do it in 2015, it was a marital dispute and they do have kids together.  They are also all held to the same expectations under Title IX that Meyer is so they should all be held to the same standard.

Then fire all of them.  Meyer is the head coach and a legend, so of course people are going to care more about him than some assistant offensive line coach.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Then fire all of them.  Meyer is the head coach and a legend, so of course people are going to care more about him than some assistant offensive line coach.

If they made their bed, they need to lay in it.  It would suck to lose all of our coaching staff, but to try and say some are less culpable based on their position is stupid.  They are all required to report, if they didn't report to the appropriate authority then it's their own fault for getting fired.

If they made their bed, they need to lay in it.  It would suck to lose all of our coaching staff, but to try and say some are less culpable based on their position is stupid.  They are all required to report, if they didn't report to the appropriate authority then it's their own fault for getting fired.

I agree with you, but people are focusing on Urban Meyer because he's Urban Meyer.  He is the story.

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I agree with you, but people are focusing on Urban Meyer because he's Urban Meyer.  He is the story.

And that's fine, but if you read where most of this came from, it was from when Texasmade made the comment about the assistants shouldn't be under fire as well.

2 hours ago, Texasmade said:

As for the rest of the staff, and their supposed inaction, provided none of them were eye witnesses to anything, or actively trying to suppress information, trying to keep Courtney from coming forward or something along those lines, I have a hard time condeming them too harshly simply because the fact that it's a marital dispute, AND the fact that they have kids. No amount of virtue signaling is going to make getting in the middle of that any less complicated, and we can try to oversimplify that fact in the name of our own self righteousness but the fact will remain all the same . If it was relayed to Urban, and it sounds like it was, then given the circumstances I'm ok with that being their only course of action. 

This is the quote where most of my comments have been coming from regarding the staff relates.  You can't target Meyer for firing due to not reporting without also firing the assistant coaches, providing they are still with the team, for not also reporting.  Every aspect of why he can't condemn the assistant coaches for not acting can be directly applied to Meyer as well.  If the rules are there that these individuals are required to report to specific departments and they don't, then they are all accountable and should lose their jobs, not just Meyer, or none of them should.  Not firing everyone involved probably opens up Ohio State to a lawsuit from Meyer if they don't just settle it with him stepping down and getting paid millions to do so.

So how I see it:

A) Ohio State doesn't fire Meyer and just takes the bad PR and make a statement that this will never happen again with all these new protections in place.

B) Meyer steps down, not fired, and gets paid a lot of money while he apologizes for his mistake of not taking the proper procedures because he trusted the word a friend/family member of a trusted mentor, but no one else is gone.

C) They fire Meyer and the rest of the coaching staff for not properly reporting.

Those are the only 3 options Ohio State has right now.

Ohio State is one of the five marquee jobs in the nation, even if every single coach, GA, and freaking hot dog vendor were fired tonight, they'd still get in a staff good enough to win 6-7 games with the talent they have on an emergency basis from dudes off their couch, then go out and hire the single best up and coming coaching candidate in the entire country. Because it's Ohio State. 

Like, if you lose the coach I would think maybe it should just be a learning experience, a showcase of consequence to know the seriousness of what happened. It's not going to have profound long term effects on your program unless you just hire the wrong guy and even then that's only what, 3-5 years of probably just being kinda good instead of contending every single year.

@IDOG_det So I'm seeing other places mentioning that this might not be a Title IX issue due to a ruling in Arizona that stated that since, in that case, the GF wasn't an employee/student of the school, still looking for details myself.  Would that be a similar situation here at Ohio State since Courtney Smith isn't/wasn't an employee of Ohio State?  If it wasn't a Title IX issue due to falling under those guidelines, then the only issue would be if Urban knew and then lied to the media about it, correct?

Before people jump onto the comment, I'm not condoning Domestic Violence, this question is literally just about the legal aspect of this situation as @IDOG_det seems to have a better feel on the legal aspects than some others.

5 minutes ago, Raves said:

@IDOG_det So I'm seeing other places mentioning that this might not be a Title IX issue due to a ruling in Arizona that stated that since, in that case, the GF wasn't an employee of the school.  Would that be a similar situation here at Ohio State since Courtney Smith isn't/wasn't an employee of Ohio State?  If it wasn't a Title IX issue due to falling under those guidelines, then the only issue would be if Urban knew and then lied to the media about it, correct?

Before people jump onto the comment, I'm not condoning Domestic Violence, this question is literally just about the legal aspect of this situation as @IDOG_det seems to have a better feel on the legal aspects than some others.

Could be the same thing similar to Colorado. They said it wasn’t title9 because The secondary’s coaches S/O wasn’t an employee of the school. 

To me the only issue I will have with all that’s going on is if Meyer’s Head is the only one to roll. I like Gene Smith to a point, dude has made some amazing hires for the other sports. But he should be just as guilty because he knows Smith’s background, he had to know about this ‘15 issue. This would be he 2nd big time football coach to lose their job under him. He has mishandled a lot of things during his time at tOSU. He shouldn’t walk away  unscathed  From this. 

41 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

So there isn't a smoking gun, but a whole bunch of circumstantial evidence?

Obviously that is enough evidence for tOSU haters to call for the head of a man that had nothing to do with a POS guy hitting his wife. Smith should be arrested and charged with DV. Yet somehow Meyer's needs to be fired based solely off a text message his wife received. No convictions, arrests, **** trials... just a text message. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

**** Just read it, he was arrested in 2015 but no charges were brought up against him. His wife got a protection order and divorced him. The case never went to trial. Zach wife beating POS Smith was immediately fired when he was arrested for criminal trespassing and violating said protection order. 

Archived