Bears could be interested in trading too much for Khalil Mack

cooters22

43 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Ok - not sure many would agree with Mack being the impact White was

White is the best DE of all time I think that you are holding Mack to a standard only one player has reached. But I think Mack could have the same type of impact for this Packers defense that White did when he arrived.

Mack pressures generated last 3 years:                                                  Packers pressures generated last 3 years:

2017: 79 - 3rd in NFL                                                                                     2017: 253 Total - CMIII highest with 39

2016: 96 - 1st in NFL                                                                                     2016: 270 Total - Perry highest with 46

2015: 82 - 2nd in NFL                                                                                    2015: 334 Total - CMIII & Peppers tied with 54

Mack is an elite pass rusher and offers scheme versatility as well (ie. only player ever to be named All Pro at 2 positions in the same year), he would take this defense to a whole new level. Paying him $20m per year for 4 years isn't going to cripple the team in the long term. He is also going to be better value than any players we could add in free agency. We have $84million in cap space in 2 years, there is more than enough space to make this work. If we have to let a marginal player or two go to get an elite player in Rodgers' twilight years it is a no-brainer. 

2 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Now it’s $25 million?  Where are these numbers coming from?

I think (not sure, but think) the rumors are coming from the fact that both Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack want to set a new record for the largest defensive contract, and considering edge rushers normally get paid better than interior rusher, Mack will probably end up getting more than Donald. And rumor has it that the Rams and Donald are getting fairly close to an agreement that pays him in the average range of 23 to 25 million per year. So the thought is Mack will be demanding the same or more.

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You can't imagine any scenario where you get more value out of 25 million in cash and two first round picks?

Maybe but it’s not as sure of a thing than Mack imo. He is arguably the best defensive player in the league.

You could use that money to keep several players you all ready have and miss on both picks.

I still don’t think I’d give 2-#1’s but I wouldn’t kill the Packers for doing it if they think this could be the year. If it were to work out and they win the SB, people would be more than willing to let them rebuild and take a step back after. I think they’d be in it for at least 3-4 years though with what we have. 

11 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

White is the best DE of all time I think that you are holding Mack to a standard only one player has reached. But I think Mack could have the same type of impact for this Packers defense that White did when he arrived.

Mack pressures generated last 3 years:                                                  Packers pressures generated last 3 years:

2017: 79 - 3rd in NFL                                                                                     2017: 253 Total - CMIII highest with 39

2016: 96 - 1st in NFL                                                                                     2016: 270 Total - Perry highest with 46

2015: 82 - 2nd in NFL                                                                                    2015: 334 Total - CMIII & Peppers tied with 54

Mack is an elite pass rusher and offers scheme versatility as well (ie. only player ever to be named All Pro at 2 positions in the same year), he would take this defense to a whole new level. Paying him $20m per year for 4 years isn't going to cripple the team in the long term. He is also going to be better value than any players we could add in free agency. We have $84million in cap space in 2 years, there is more than enough space to make this work. If we have to let a marginal player or two go to get an elite player in Rodgers' twilight years it is a no-brainer. 

White had a great career but his best years were not with the Packers. His best was with the Eagles. So comparing his whole career as an argument against what Mack would do for us is not a valid comparison. Even if he had a huge impact with the Pack. 

21 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You don't win in the NFL by paying players what they're worth.

If there was a WAR stat in football, Mack would undoubtedly be a super start level non-QB. 

But when you start dividing that WAR by dollars you have a more questionable value. There's no non-QB in the league with a WAR value more than 2. 

The draft picks are where you can really capitalize on that WAR to dollar ratio.

Sure, but Green Bay also can't get players like Mack or impact players of his caliber unless you pay for them because we aren't drafting in the top 1-5 any time soon, not while Rodgers is here anyways. At some point, you take the risk.. It's short term gain vs. long term gain. People who want Mack understand the possible repercussions it will/could have in years 4-6. We are simply willing to accept those repercussions for the fruit we get in years 1-3 when Rodgers is 35-37 years old. 

35 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

>Mack is one of the best players in the league

>"HE ISN'T REGGIE WHITE DOE! WE CAN'T DO THIS" 

You guys are nuts. 

Nobody, I repeat NOBODY is giving up $25 million and 2 first round picks. This isn’t Madden.

Mack is either playing in Oakland this year on his current deal or getting traded for **maybe** one first round pick and probably a decent player and a late rounder or two. Maybe even a future 3rd instead of the player. What’s the biggest trade ever made? Because Mack isn’t touching that.

You realize he makes ZERO dollars sitting on the bench right? The dude is going to play somewhere and the Raiders will take what they can get over having nothing for him.

I bet we can end up getting Mack for our extra 1st and a future 2nd/3rd, and he will play this year out on his current deal giving us time to sort out his value.

Tell me how wrong I am?

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

66 pages. Given our opponent tonight, we should easily get into the 70s by night's end. xD

Yeah but it's not getting us to the 100 pages we needed to force the trade by the game...

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Sure, but Green Bay also can't get players like Mack or impact players of his caliber unless you pay for them because we aren't drafting in the top 1-5 any time soon

You don't need to draft top 5 to get some good players... hell Aaron Rodgers wasn't even top 20... and Packers have had their chances and just decided in a different direction.

They could of had TJ Watt but decided to trade down... and then could of had Carl Lawson with the trade down and chose Biegel instead.

You can still get good players outside the top 5, you just got to find and correctly pick them. Are they as good as Mack? Not right now, but they still have growing potential... but this logic about must be a top 5 pick is just nuts... you can find good players later too... sure higher helps, but it's no lock either. Some of the Packers highest selection, AJ Hawk, BJ Raji, Justin Harrell... it's more about getting a good draft pick.

Just now, Beast said:

Yeah but it's not getting us to the 100 pages we needed to force the trade by the game...

You don't need to draft top 5 to get some good players... hell Aaron Rodgers wasn't even top 20... and Packers have had their chances and just decided in a different direction.

They could of had TJ Watt but decided to trade down... and then could of had Carl Lawson with the trade down and chose Biegel instead.

You can still get good players outside the top 5, you just got to find and correctly pick them. Are they as good as Mack? Not right now, but they still have growing potential... but this logic about must be a top 5 pick is just nuts... you can find good players later too... sure higher helps, but it's no lock either. Some of the Packers highest selection, AJ Hawk, BJ Raji, Justin Harrell... it's more about getting a good draft pick.

And that’s why you trade for a Mack who’s a proven commodity. This isnt free agency he can’t demand whatever he wants. If he’s traded he will end his holdout to stick it to the Raiders.

3 minutes ago, Siman08/OH said:

You guys are nuts. 

Nobody, I repeat NOBODY is giving up $25 million and 2 first round picks. This isn’t Madden.

Mack is either playing in Oakland this year on his current deal or getting traded for **maybe** one first round pick and probably a decent player and a late rounder or two. Maybe even a future 3rd instead of the player. What’s the biggest trade ever made? Because Mack isn’t touching that.

You realize he makes ZERO dollars sitting on the bench right? The dude is going to play somewhere and the Raiders will take what they can get over having nothing for him.

I bet we can end up getting Mack for our extra 1st and a future 2nd/3rd, and he will play this year out on his current deal giving us time to sort out his value.

Tell me how wrong I am?

our first. not the extra first 

Just now, Siman08/OH said:

And that’s why you trade for a Mack who’s a proven commodity. This isnt free agency he can’t demand whatever he wants. If he’s traded he will end his holdout to stick it to the Raiders.

That's nonsense, first that he would magically end his holdout without a contract, and that some team would trade a ton to get him without a new contract in place/agreement.

He's holding out for a contract, not to stick it to the Raiders.

Archived