Tremaine Edmunds OR Derwin James VS Jaire Alexander and NO Saints 2019 1st Rd Pick

Mr Anonymous

18 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Once you get past top half RD1 talent, I'll pretty much always favor two bites at the RD1 apple vs one.  Don't see James or Edmunds as exceptions to that general rule.

I do, and I did at the time. I think the Packers suffered enough to be in position to select 14th that it was a huge error to trade back rather than select either of two players that in my opinion (and that of many talent evaluators I read) were on a whole other, higher tier, than who the Packers came away with, Alexander. And ultimately, I think the disparity between either Edmunds or James over Alexander will be so great that the 1st rounder gained in 2019 will not be enough to overcome the mistake. The Saints '19 first is going to have to turn into someone very impactful. And I'll readily admit there's a chance it might. To me the talent gap between either James or Edmunds to Alexander was too great to take the gamble. We shall see.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If he's not making it on defense, Burks is certainly looking the part on Specials. 

I agree. We should add Burks to this. 

Taking him instead of Edwards will go down as one of Gute's best moves of his many great moves that will propel the Packers into greater greatness than even before.

Let's use this thread to track that.

18 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Taking him instead of Edwards will go down as one of Gute's best moves of his many great moves that will propel the Packers into greater greatness than even before.

Ain't no one gonna stop you. It can't be dismissed however that staying put at #14 and drafting Edmunds doesn't stop the Packers from being able to draft Burks. Much like trading back and drafting Alexander didn't stop them from taking Jackson in the 2nd round.

If Alexander and the Saints '19 first amount to nothing, and Edmunds and James both prove to be stars, nothing Burks does prevents the trade from being a mistake. That would be the equivalent of saying it wasn't a mistake to draft Brett Conway in the 3rd round because they unearthed Ryan Longwell off waivers the same year.

28 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Who is this Edwards you speak of?

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It's hardly improbable that there is a player selected after James, Edmunds, and Alexander who will go on to have a better NFL career than any of them.  We should have picked that guy.

Agreed. Name one and start a thread calling your shot and we'll see how it plays out. Otherwise I'm not impressed.

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:
5 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It's hardly improbable that there is a player selected after James, Edmunds, and Alexander who will go on to have a better NFL career than any of them.  We should have picked that guy.

Agreed. Name one

Or two. 

It'll help your odds, Cabby.

Archived