2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Well Leo isn’t playing good enough to get paid what top guys are. He’s well below the chunk of guys getting paid 10mill per or more per season.

With his 5th year option in play, according to OTC,  Leo will make 14.2 next season.  I am not sure but I believe if we cut him we won’t get a comp pick. Since we really don’t need any additional cap space, I feel we need to keep him next year. For his part I’m pretty sure that during the off season he will try to negotiate an extension. I think we wait until a new coach (and GM?) is in place to see how Leo would fit into their plans. 

2 hours ago, Rich51 said:

With his 5th year option in play, according to OTC,  Leo will make 14.2 next season.  I am not sure but I believe if we cut him we won’t get a comp pick. Since we really don’t need any additional cap space, I feel we need to keep him next year. For his part I’m pretty sure that during the off season he will try to negotiate an extension. I think we wait until a new coach (and GM?) is in place to see how Leo would fit into their plans. 

I find the only way we can make him worth his money is to switch to a 4-3 and play him at DT. We will get an edge in sure one way or another that will need attention. So this myth that he’s doubled every down will get exposed and we will see what he really has. He’s a very likable guy and player and I hope he works out. But he straight up is not worth close to his salary and the contract he will want after next season. Something needs to change or we will regret giving him a big deal. And I’m absolutely all for trying to get good value for him via trade. If we can get a 1st... I’d move him in a heartbeat. 

We should be listening to trade offers for every player on this roster outside of Adams and Darnold. Not another player on this team is playing at a high enough level or we’ve made such a big investment in that they shouldn’t be traded for the right value.

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I find the only way we can make him worth his money is to switch to a 4-3 and play him at DT. We will get an edge in sure one way or another that will need attention. So this myth that he’s doubled every down will get exposed and we will see what he really has. He’s a very likable guy and player and I hope he works out. But he straight up is not worth close to his salary and the contract he will want after next season. Something needs to change or we will regret giving him a big deal. And I’m absolutely all for trying to get good value for him via trade. If we can get a 1st... I’d move him in a heartbeat. 

I agree that switching to a 4-3 would benefit him immensely. In terms of value, there’s zero chance we get a first for him at this point given his cap hit next year. 

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We should be listening to trade offers for every player on this roster outside of Adams and Darnold. Not another player on this team is playing at a high enough level or we’ve made such a big investment in that they shouldn’t be traded for the right value.

Wrong. Ijalana is a stud 🤣

10 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I agree that switching to a 4-3 would benefit him immensely. In terms of value, there’s zero chance we get a first for him at this point given his cap hit next year. 

Normally I'd agree with you. But Oakland got a 1st for Cooper and at that time was actually a Top 10 pick. Who's contract situation is nearly identical to that of Leo's.

5 hours ago, Rich51 said:

Declining the 5th year option and cutting the exercised 5th year option are not the same thing in terms of business standpoint so I think too.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Leonard Williams always plays at strongside. I don't remember Rodgers ever moves him around.  I think he should move around to see if his penetration ability is there or not.  Maybe, that's it for Leo as coaches have noticed that he is merely an athletic run stuffer.  Bowles' defense uses 2 gap strategy so many people assume that he has been doubled without rechecking games.  

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Now you regret to prematurely remove my Big Q trade proposal thread. lol.  It was bad timing, I know.

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Normally I'd agree with you. But Oakland got a 1st for Cooper and at that time was actually a Top 10 pick. Who's contract situation is nearly identical to that of Leo's.

Cooper has more upside than any questionable sack artist.  You crazy.

Leo Williams has not lived up to what he was suppose to be. When we drafted him 6 these draft guys where saying he was the best overall player in the draft. I'm fine with moving on from him but I would not do the 5th year option. I would either sign an extension or let him walk. If you sign an extension you will get him at a cheaper price right now. If you give him the 5th option and does well he might price himself out of our range in 2020. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

WR values are a lot different than a DT's though.  Adding to this, Sheldon was traded for a 2nd and Kearse.  Even though he had baggage, he had a 6 mil lower cap hit and is better than Leo. 

On 12/16/2018 at 12:19 PM, rickyt31 said:

We still have a shot at having the #1 pick if the Cardinals, Raiders and 49ers win one more game. 

Did I forget to tell you?  49ers drafted Mike McGlinchey at #9 of last draft.  Drafting T in top 10 back to back years may not best option for 49ers. Don't you think?

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I would see if INDY would give us our 2nd back for Williams since they are loaded with cap space and could use defensive help.

Cleveland makes a ton of sense to me personally.  They have extra picks, a ton of cap, a ton of guys on rookie contracts (so resigning him won't be an issue), and the worst DT situation in the league.  Mid round 2nd wouldn't be bad at all, especially given the cap we'd save by signing a guy like Anderson long-term.

Archived