2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

would personally like a 2 and a 4 for Leo. Yes he is a bit underwhelming but still a top 6 pick and still a good player. This is only if we stay bass 3-4. If we run more 4-3 and 4 man fronts in general, he would be worth keeping. Still young and still a force on the DL whether he accumulates the numbers or not. He is tops in the league for pressures too. Let’s not underrate him either.  

4 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

would personally like a 2 and a 4 for Leo. Yes he is a bit underwhelming but still a top 6 pick and still a good player. This is only if we stay bass 3-4. If we run more 4-3 and 4 man fronts in general, he would be worth keeping. Still young and still a force on the DL whether he accumulates the numbers or not. He is tops in the league for pressures too. Let’s not underrate him either.  

Me and Dr. O were talking about it a page or two back, but if we were in position to get Bosa and switch a to a 4-3, we could make transform the d-line into an elite one pretty easily.

39 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I have this feeling Allen will be a Jet.

Josh Allen in the draft I assume you are talking about?

If so then yes I agree he is probably very high on our GM's board and rightly so.

Allen and the better prospect between Greg Little and Jawaan Taylor (who is getting top 10 hype now) seem like my two choices at the moment assuming Bosa is gone.

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Josh Allen in the draft I assume you are talking about?

If so then yes I agree he is probably very high on our GM's board and rightly so.

Allen and the better prospect between Greg Little and Jawaan Taylor (who is getting top 10 hype now) seem like my two choices at the moment assuming Bosa is gone.

Todd McShay had Taylor at 10th of top 10 prior to the last Halloween.  Nobody bought it.  Now, Taylor's name is still being involved top 10 discussion?  If so, that would be vastly disappointing for LT class.   Dunno what is his latest ranking but I expect it will be completely different from the Halloween ranking which included 4 DT who may not be taken within top 15.

If Jets ended up taking Taylor in no particular draft round then I would expect Brandon Shell to play inside to make a room for Taylor.

edit: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-florida/article220836705.html

Check out the last paragraph. Sound like he may be end up a stud LG if he is put in there. umm.

On 12/18/2018 at 3:28 PM, Bobby816 said:

He's not doubled nearly as often as you think. He just is an above average player IMO. And he's about to start being paid like a star DL, when he isn't that.

Would I second guess giving him an extension? Surely. I'd rather watch 2019 play out, franchise tag him in 2020 if 2019 goes well, then sign him to a long-term extension if he plays well again - his age-26 season. The worst thing you can do is trade your high quality young players for sub-round 1 draft picks simply to reallocate resources. We're not like the Raiders, who clearly lack the money and were going for a total re-build. The Jets are setting themselves up to be a contender next year, so when I say I hope they add a 2nd round pick, it's by trading down, not trading their best players. 

Ultimately, the Jets need to let him play out next year. For every year of his career, Leonard has been top 10 in QB pressures among interior defensive lineman with the primary issue being that he hasn't transitioned those hurries into sacks. He's currently 7th among interior defenders with 49 pressures through week 15.

In my opinion, this has a lot more to do with coaching than talent. Robert Nunn said today that "he wished he had the answers" for the lack of sack production from Williams over the past two seasons, and suggested it is "one of the most frustrating things" of his coaching career. Nunn is a good coach, but they need to find coaches - the right play-callers and defensive schemers - who do have these answers, because there's no question the talent is there to be able to close and put up numbers, not just as a disrupting DL who allows for everyone else's job to be easier. 

To trade him now would be ludicrous. Everyone wants Leonard to be Aaron Donald and J.J. Watt, but those guys are anomalies. Chances are, Williams follows the career trend of Fletcher Cox, who broke out in his age-25 season. I had thought that would happen this year, but it appears the Jets still need to make some adjustments to help Williams get more opportunities to rush the passer, as well as improve the talent along the edges. 

16 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Did I forget to tell you?  49ers drafted Mike McGlinchey at #9 of last draft.  Drafting T in top 10 back to back years may not best option for 49ers. Don't you think?

According to PFF, McGlinchey has been solid and could be a fixture for them at RT for a long time. He could very possibly slide into the LT position when Staley leaves. The year before they drafted Thomas a DE/DT. So far he’s been a bust. 

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Brandon Shell’s knee injury is apparently very serious, meaning the Jets should prepare to be without him next year. 

His FA status after 2019?  Could it change to RFA or since it is football injury too bad?   If it were me, I would sign one via FA and move on with him.  There are plenty of RT in FA class.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Brandon Shell’s knee injury is apparently very serious, meaning the Jets should prepare to be without him next year. 

The #Jets⁠ expect RT Brandon Shell to be able to participate in offseason workouts after undergoing surgery today, if all goes according to plan.

maybe not

Lets talk about Harry Anderson, this guy has been our best D lineman, and he did not cost us the sixth over all pick in the draft, like Williams did. This has been one of the real good pickups by Macc. Williams should be playing DT not DE, with his strength and being a bull rusher he could be a top D tackle.

Will the Jets resign Enunwa ? When he played a few years ago he looked good, but the last two years we got zero out of him, he just can't stay healthy first the neck than the hand, now the leg. He is still a young guy, but I don't think the Jets will resign him for crazy money. But for the right price I think he is worth keeping.

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Lets talk about Harry Anderson, this guy has been our best D lineman, and he did not cost us the sixth over all pick in the draft, like Williams did. This has been one of the real good pickups by Macc. Williams should be playing DT not DE, with his strength and being a bull rusher he could be a top D tackle.

Will the Jets resign Enunwa ? When he played a few years ago he looked good, but the last two years we got zero out of him, he just can't stay healthy first the neck than the hand, now the leg. He is still a young guy, but I don't think the Jets will resign him for crazy money. But for the right price I think he is worth keeping.

If he’s healthy, I would also try to resign him. The first 4 games he was targeted 37 times and had 21 receptions for 278 yds. A full season at that pace would have been 84 receptions and 1100 yards. Since than he played in 6 more games but was only targeted 32 times with 17 receptions for 171 yds. I haven’t watched most of the games but it seems that the injuries have affected the rapport he was building with Darnold.

Archived