2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

What are your thoughts  on DeSean Jackson? 

With how bare the FA WR market is, I think the Jets need to explore the trade market. DeSean Jackson asked to be traded earlier this year and likely will be moved in the offseason. He has one year left at $10 or so mil. I think he has a solid 2 years left of good productio . So not a long term answer but he gives us time to figure out the WR core. He got off to a great start with Fitz but hasn’t done much with Winston. He also gives us a type of receiver we don’t have or someone who is not just a deep threat but can also take short slants for TDs, WR screens etc. 

I think a 4th for him would be a solid trade.

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

With how bare the FA WR market is, I think the Jets need to explore the trade market. DeSean Jackson asked to be traded earlier this year and likely will be moved in the offseason. He has one year left at $10 or so mil. I think he has a solid 2 years left of good productio . So not a long term answer but he gives us time to figure out the WR core. He got off to a great start with Fitz but hasn’t done much with Winston. He also gives us a type of receiver we don’t have or someone who is not just a deep threat but can also take short slants for TDs, WR screens etc. 

No thanks we have a similar player that’s much younger in Robby and would rather look to add more of a Big Body WR than another speedster

12 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

No thanks we have a similar player that’s much younger in Robby and would rather look to add more of a Big Body WR than another speedster

I view them a bit different. DeSean is a threat across the entire field whereas Robby as of now is only a deep threat.

I agree, we need a big bodied WR as well. But with Enunwa we have to be at least 4 deep. So the Jets need at least two new WRs. 

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

I think there’s only 1 roster spot needed by a speedster 1 trick pony. And we have that already in Robby. So I say no to DJax.

30 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I view them a bit different. DeSean is a threat across the entire field whereas Robby as of now is only a deep threat.

I agree, we need a big bodied WR as well. But with Enunwa we have to be at least 4 deep. So the Jets need at least two new WRs. 

I disagree since Darnold has seemed to finally be in “sync” with Robby he’s developed into more than gust a deep threat, where as with Jackson he blew up early but tailed off completely after that plus throw in his age and he’s bound to lose a step sooner rather than later scares me. Would much rather throw money at Funchess, Tyrell Williams, or Humphries than move for DJax

Darnold has his two Safety Blankets in Enunwa and Herndon. 

Robby has shown an expanded route tree the past few weeks so he might be able to continue to develop into a top end receiver with continued growth. 

McGuire and Cannon while not the best tandem have both shown burst and the ability to push forward even behind a weak O-Line. 

Offenively I think if we can rebuild the line and add another pass catcher then we can take another step offensively. 

18 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Darnold has his two Safety Blankets in Enunwa and Herndon. 

Robby has shown an expanded route tree the past few weeks so he might be able to continue to develop into a top end receiver with continued growth. 

McGuire and Cannon while not the best tandem have both shown burst and the ability to push forward even behind a weak O-Line. 

Offenively I think if we can rebuild the line and add another pass catcher then we can take another step offensively. 

I just read yesterday that Crowell. was rated the best offensive player this year so far on the Jets. I can believe that he  avg. almost 5 yards per carry. They didn't say he was the best player, but he is having the best year.

8 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

One guy who could actually make sense depending on cost in AJ Green.  With that said, it'd be great if we could trade down in the 1st, nab a 2nd, and snag a WR there.

I always hated the idea of moving down in the draft, but for the first time in Jet history this might be the year to do it. After what the Colts did last year, when they dropped only three spots in the draft and still got the player they wanted, plus picked up two second round picks, what a fantastic move by them. We have the chance of doing the same thing if we still have the fourth or fifth overall pick in the draft. I do agree with you our best chance of getting a WR in the draft would be with a second round pick.

I guess the difference for me is that I don’t trust Robby will develop into anything more than a deep threat. It’s fine if that is all he is. But I think we can benefit by getting a more dynamic speed guy.

When we bring a new OC and they want to run a WR reverse, who on the team can do that effectively? Even a WR screen? We don’t have a speed guy who can do that. Our best option is Quincy for WR screens who can break tackles and Andre Roberts our PR for reverses. Cannon is probably best for Jet sweeps. That just seems like it will limit the creativity of our offense.

Adding a Cooks type speed guy would help. Maybe DJax is not that guy and we need to give Robby time. But I think it’s needed. Maybe it’s getting a big WR like Tyrell Williams in FA and targeting a guy like Hollywood Brown in the draft. 

Just now, SDotNova said:

I guess the difference for me is that I don’t trust Robby will develop into anything more than a deep threat. It’s fine if that is all he is. But I think we can benefit by getting a more dynamic speed guy.

When we bring a new OC and they want to run a WR reverse, who on the team can do that effectively? Even a WR screen? We don’t have a speed guy who can do that. Our best option is Quincy for WR screens who can break tackles and Andre Roberts our PR for reverses. Cannon is probably best for Jet sweeps. That just seems like it will limit the creativity of our offense.

Adding a Cooks type speed guy would help. Maybe DJax is not that guy and we need to give Robby time. But I think it’s needed. Maybe it’s getting a big WR like Tyrell Williams in FA and targeting a guy like Hollywood Brown in the draft. 

I like Hollywood, because I think he could be the type of playmaker you described but I doubt he’s available in the 3rd. I agree with @doumeyerthat it would be great if we could trade down a few places and pick up at least one second but the only way I see that happening is if a sought after QB is on the board when we are ready to draft. 

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to feel that Jonah Williams might be the guy. Highest graded tackle who didn't allow a sack all year. If I heard correctly, I think Beachum is currently ranked 51st out of all Tackles (64.8 PFF). It will have to be him or an LT we can quickly develop behind him from the later rounds. 

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to feel that Jonah Williams might be the guy. Highest graded tackle who didn't allow a sack all year. If I heard correctly, I think Beachum is currently ranked 51st out of all Tackles (64.8 PFF). It will have to be him or an LT we can quickly develop behind him from the later rounds. 

Thinking the same.  Some won't like it, but we can pop him into LG or RT next year (depending on Shell), and take it from there. Hopefully he develops into a solid starting LT.

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

Thinking the same.  Some won't like it, but we can pop him into LG or RT next year (depending on Shell), and take it from there. Hopefully he develops into a solid starting LT.

Yeah. Slim chance a long-term LT hits the FA market. So we have to try to grab one in the draft and JW seem to be the only one that has a chance to start day 1 so far. Him vs Clemson dline is the perfect match up to grade him. But I don't see the Cardinals skipping him if they are picking above us. Their oline issues have been insane and filled with injuries. 

Archived