Which rule change would tip the balance in power to defense

Hunter2_1

Hypothetical rule changes  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would have the most impact?

• You can maintain contact with receivers for 5 extra yards
    • Relaxing of the "roughing the passer" rule - still exists, but back to 90s level
    • DPI is not called JUST because the DB isn't watching the ball
    • Offensive linemen cannot put one foot behind the LOS
    • QBs helmet radio available only on 1st down
    • It is now intentional grounding if you throw the ball away outside the tackle position

"At the annual owners meeting in March 1994, the NFL’s competition committee passed a bundle of new rules. The committee, chaired by legendary Miami Dolphins coach Don Shula and New York Giants general manager George Young, endeavored to make life easier for offensive players"

These are hypothetical rule changes.

Which one do you think would tip the balance in favour of the defense the most? 

For those who are interested, this is a pretty cool article on the evolution of NFL rules over time, including some great video clips

The game we see today bears little resemblance to how it was played years ago

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/evolution-of-the-nfl-rules/

"A quarterback can’t throw a pass unless he’s at least 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. The offense begins some plays just a yard from the sideline and is penalized for throwing more than one pass during a series of downs. Player substitutions are prohibited. No communication from the sideline is allowed. Players from both teams grab their opponents’ facemasks at will "

I was going to pick the first option until I saw the last option. Without being able to throw the ball away your QB is either taking a hit, taking a sack, or throwing the ball into coverage. Unless they are still allowed to target the feet or area of a receiver. Then option 1 again.

I’m going with the first option (contact beyond 5 yards) but I’m really intrigued by the option about offensive linemen not having a foot behind the LOS. You’d essenstially be asking them to take traditional 2 or 3 point stances, which would be a real problem for tackles IMO.

24 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What's classic mode?

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/evolution-of-the-nfl-rules/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_pass

I.E referring to the 1920s when it was basically impossible to pass the ball forward. It's one of the few ways(barring some major rules changes) to balance NFL offenses nowadays given how skewed it is to the offenses favor. 

1 hour ago, freak_of_nature said:

I think it's ridiculous that you get a PI penalty just because your head is not facing the ball. PI should be contact based

I don't know abut contact based but should it PI if the WR stops running because the ball is under-thrown and the DB runs into him because the defender can't stop himself in time?  This is almost rewarding the offense for a poorly executed play...

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

I don't know abut contact based but should it PI if the WR stops running because the ball is under-thrown and the DB runs into him because the defender can't stop himself in time?  This is almost rewarding the offense for a poorly executed play...

On the flip side, it almost give the CB a free pass to mug the WR going back to the ball.

7 hours ago, Pugger said:

It rewards the receiver for being aware of where the ball is being thrown, and penalizes the defender for the opposite. 

It’s annoying but entirely avoidable.

Went with none of the above because it's so far off-balanced now and at this point it would take more than one rule change.

They need to stop putting patches on top patches and either revamped the entire system starting from scratch. Or let any and all penalties be reviewable and give each team an additional challenge. I don't care how long the game takes.  I would prefer the former.

Archived