Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

So, this is pretty cool. I'm listening to a radio station in Anchorage. Every time they get an aftershock they broadcast it, 10 seconds later it hits here. Nice early warning system. Gives you enough time to find a chair.

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I just had a real entertaining morning. Been in lots of other earthquakes but this mornings 7.2 was really quite a shaker. 

Yee haw!

7.2 is nuts.   One of few times it’s good not to be in the big city, and not too many high rises in Alaska either (in theory modern ones are built to code to be ok but that’s iffy for older buildings).  

Scary stuff, be safe.  

20 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

7.2 is nuts.   One of few times it’s good not to be in the big city, and not too many high rises in Alaska either (in theory modern ones are built to code to be ok but that’s iffy for older buildings).  

Scary stuff, be safe.  

I'm about 50 miles north west of Anchorage and my new place held up fine. A lot of places didn't fare too well. My lake looks like a soccer ball, it busted up the ice pretty good.

Gotta tell ya bud, that was a serious shake. I just sat in the middle of the floor and watched. Reports are coming in and it sounds like it did some serious damage. To emphasize what you said, "7.2 IS F**KING NUTS!!"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'm about 50 miles north west of Anchorage and my new place held up fine. A lot of places didn't fare too well. My lake looks like a soccer ball, it busted up the ice pretty good.

Gotta tell ya bud, that was a serious shake. I just sat in the middle of the floor and watched. Reports are coming in and it sounds like it did some serious damage. To emphasize what you said, "7.2 IS F**KING NUTS!!"

Most ppl don’t realize the Richter scale is logarithmic so when they said big deal we get 5-6’s all the time - 7.2 is 10-100x stronger.   

I mean, the Thailand tsunamis were from a 7.7.  There is more than just the power but 7 is a real no-s*** potential disaster.   In old cities the casualties can be staggering.  North Americans are spoiled because our modern buildings are built for that.  

Either way glad you are ok. 

Edited by Broncofan

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Most ppl don’t realize the Richter scale is logarithmic so when they said big deal we get 5-6’s all the time - 7.2 is 10-100x stronger.   

I mean, the Thailand tsunamis were from a 7.7.  There is more than just the power but 7 is a real no-s*** potential disaster.   In old cities the casualties can be staggering.  North Americans are spoiled because our modern buildings are built for that.  

Either way glad you are ok. 

So, I think the number is 33 IE: a 7.2 is 33 times stronger than a 6.2. Whatever, it's a big number. It lasted for quite a while, I kept wondering if it would ever stop or just keep getting stronger.

Even modern cities will sustain extreme damage at this level. Anchorage has about the strictest seismic building guidlines in the country, they're extreme! Even with that there's been some serious damage there. 

Anyway, no power loss or damage here. I'm 50 miles off the grid and my own system held up fine.

6 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So, I think the number is 33 IE: a 7.2 is 33 times stronger than a 6.2. Whatever, it's a big number. It lasted for quite a while, I kept wondering if it would ever stop or just keep getting stronger.

Even modern cities will sustain extreme damage at this level. Anchorage has about the strictest seismic building guidlines in the country, they're extreme! Even with that there's been some serious damage there. 

Anyway, no power loss or damage here. I'm 50 miles off the grid and my own system held up fine.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/richter-magnitude-scale-explained-1.1130841 - it is 10-fold for each whole number increase.   I think the 33-fold is something like 6.0 to 7.2 - 7.x (greater than 10 but less than 100).

Alaska had foresight - probably because they’ve had 8-9 scale quakes in past.   Everyone thinks CAL is the big risk but man those are scary #’s.  Like you said 7’s will cause damage in most cities.  

Edited by Broncofan

Man I'm old lol . I was just thinking of great tandems to come from college and I remember ronnie brown and Cadillac williams going top 5. This past year a combo almost as lethal in nick chubb and Sony Micheal went end of the first early second.  

You guys think Williams and Brown were that much better or the position is just the devalued. 

• Like 1

Holy hell.  The Chargers just got away with another blatant false start that went for a TD.  The NFL needs to spend the offseason critically evaluating these officials.  I get calls will be missed, but there are some that are absolutely inexcusable for professional officials.

38 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Holy hell.  The Chargers just got away with another blatant false start that went for a TD.  The NFL needs to spend the offseason critically evaluating these officials.  I get calls will be missed, but there are some that are absolutely inexcusable for professional officials.

There's actually 1 official whose job is ONLY to look for that at the snap.  To say that's a bad look is an understatement. That happened earlier this year, and the guy (who made other mistakes) actually lost his job.   But yeah, I think the # is 17 new officials in games this year - it's definitely showing.   

The TNF game this past week with DAL-NO, there were at least 5-6 obvious missed calls, where it was obvious in real time (not just on replay, we get how much the game slows down frame by frame) - the only reason it isn't a bigger deal for that game is they literally got crucial calls about equally on both sides lol.

Edited by Broncofan

So the only game I got to watch live was the LAC-PIT game.   And yeah while the officiating is a joke I’ve got to say the NFL has had some doozies for prime time drama.   

Ironic that Big Ben criticized his teammates for missed plays vs. us this past week then when faced with backlash, he said they he had earned the right to do that being here so long.   He made 3-4 horrible throws including 1 that absolutely turned the game around up 16-7 that was a gift INT when they looked like they’d score again.  Just like the Shelby Harris pick.   

Wonder if he will call himself out there....I won’t hold my breath.  

Edited by Broncofan