Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, bMiller031 said:

What do we expect Baltimore will do with Flacco after this year? Release him and eat the dead $? Having Jackson there +  a new coaching staff could spell the end for Flacco in BAL, I'd think...

He’d save 10M but carry 16M dead weight if they cut him right away.   They could delay the cap hit to 8M in 2020 if they designated him a post-June 1 cut.   

I think the Ravens drafted Lamar knowing he’d need at least 1 year of grooming and maybe 2.   So they’d have 3 cheap years worst case.   I suspect Lamar’s performance if he starts dictates the outcome.  

After going back and forth at draft time, I sided with @champ11 & others that barring injury he can work out as a franchise QB - but like Allen, he needs at least 1 full year and very possibly 2 before he’s ready to succeed (why he wasn’t in the convo for us Rd1 and rightfully so).  The tools are there.    Just needs a lot more work, was painfully obvious against preseason vanilla D’s.   It will be fun to see how he’s progressing now.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

He’d save 10M but carry 16M dead weight if they cut him right away.   They could delay the cap hit to 8M in 2020 if they designated him a post-June 1 cut.   

I think the Ravens drafted Lamar knowing he’d need at least 1 year of grooming and maybe 2.   So they’d have 3 cheap years worst case.   I suspect Lamar’s performance if he starts dictates the outcome.  

After going back and forth at draft time, I sided with @champ11 & others that barring injury he can work out as a franchise QB - but like Allen, he needs at least 1 full year and very possibly 2 before he’s ready to succeed (why he wasn’t in the convo for us Rd1 and rightfully so).  The tools are there.    Just needs a lot more work, was painfully obvious against preseason vanilla D’s.   It will be fun to see how he’s progressing now.

Flacco started the year okay, but has fallen back to form as one of the worst QBs in the league 

13 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Flacco started the year okay, but has fallen back to form as one of the worst QBs in the league 

Yeah, he looked like SB run Joe Flacco for the first 6 weeks - then post-SB Joe Flacco the last 3-4 games.   To be fair, BAL lost both their starting T's, that's going to hurt any team.  But he's been awful of late.

Still, I think Lamar needs more time to succeed - it was pretty tough watching him struggle against vanilla preseason D's.   Now, his athletic ability will help him.  And he's an actual thrower, not a running guy who happens to throw, so I think he's got a ton of potential.   Good ball placement, accuracy and velocity, and can make those tight window throws.   The real issue is that his weaknesses made him really far away from starting.  Read-progression, D recognition and having eyes up when he moves around in the pocket were the 3 points that were painfully absent before.   Those take time, but I'm sure he's been getting a ton of work.    

Starting Week 1 2019 would be surprising, but at least now he can show the Ravens how far he's progressed - as soon as BAL was eliminated, I'd have bet we'd would have been hearing the whispers to let him start - this injury, if it puts Flacco on the bench, at least it will give BAL a look to see how far Lamar has progressed since the preseason.   I'll enjoy watching either way.

Edited by Broncofan

Could Tannehill be an option at QB this offseason if Miami cuts ties?

FWIW: Drew Brees pre-New Orleans vs Ryan Tannehill's first 6yrs. 

Per Game Stats

Passing Rushing
Rk Player From To Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds Att Yds TD
1 Drew Brees 2001 2006 19.7 31.5 223.5 1.4 0.9 1.5 11.1 2.4 5.3 0.1
2 Ryan Tannehill 2012 2018 21.2 33.7 236.9 1.4 0.9 2.7 20.8 2.9 14.1 0.1

Obviously no one expects him to be Drew Brees - just pointing out that a change of scenery and the right team buying-low has worked for some in the past

Edited by bMiller031

17 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Could Tannehill be an option at QB this offseason if Miami cuts ties?

FWIW: Drew Brees pre-New Orleans vs Ryan Tannehill's first 6yrs. 

Per Game Stats

Passing Rushing
Rk Player From To Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds Att Yds TD
1 Drew Brees 2001 2006 19.7 31.5 223.5 1.4 0.9 1.5 11.1 2.4 5.3 0.1
2 Ryan Tannehill 2012 2018 21.2 33.7 236.9 1.4 0.9 2.7 20.8 2.9 14.1 0.1

Obviously no one expects him to be Drew Brees - just pointing out that a change of scenery and the right team buying-low has worked for some in the past

In a vacuum he’d be a decent stopgap option. 

Here’s the problem - we have sunk 21M into Keenum for 2019 and 10M dead money.   Could we sign Tanny for 11M or less and not add to our QB budget with a Keenum cut?  

Bradford was the one worse FA signing (but only 1 year) that cost ARI 16M.    The other stopgaps signed for 10M or less.  The issue is in 2018 there were 6 QB FA’s who could stopgap (and 1 elite guy in Cousins among them).  This year it’s Teddy B and whoever gets released.  The cost of getting a stopgap doesn’t seem bargain friendly.  

So it’s hard to see Tanny go that cheaply.  Then it becomes a Q of how much Elway wants to invest at stopgap QB.   That seems iffy if it’s not a long term solution.  So the cap hit and Keenum dead $ makes it less likely unless a bargain signing is possible.  Which seems unlikely.  

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

In a vacuum he’d be a decent stopgap option. 

Here’s the problem - we have sunk 21M into Keenum for 2019 and 10M dead money.   Could we sign Tanny for 11M or less and not add to our QB budget with a Keenum cut?  

Bradford was the one worse FA signing (but only 1 year) that cost ARI 16M.    The other stopgaps signed for 10M or less.  The issue is in 2018 there were 6 QB FA’s who could stopgap (and 1 elite guy in Cousins among them).  This year it’s Teddy B and whoever gets released.  The cost of getting a stopgap doesn’t seem bargain friendly.  

So it’s hard to see Tanny go that cheaply.  Then it becomes a Q of how much Elway wants to invest at stopgap QB.   That seems iffy if it’s not a long term solution.  So the cap hit and Keenum dead $ makes it less likely unless a bargain signing is possible.  Which seems unlikely.  

Well outside of NYG, TB, Jax (tight cap anyways) and maybe Oakland who is going to be in the market for Tannehill?  

Not to mention outside of Jacksonville none of those teams are in a compete now mindset so will more than likely go after a QB in the draft if they’re to take one.

Speaking if TB, would Winston be an option if he’s not extended?