Its pretty obvious that Myles Garrett is winning DPOY in 2018

VanS

How many sacks for Myles Garrett in 2018?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. How many sacks for Myles Garrett in 2018?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/09/2018 at 04:59 AM

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

He lost me when he said Myles was absolutely more athletic/better at all of the above attributes than Jevon Kearse, AKA "THE FREAK".

I grew up in Nashville during the early 2000s when Jevon Kearse was a beast and I can tell you that Myles Garrett has better OVERALL athleticism.  Jevon might be faster in a 40 yard dash.  But in terms of bending the corner and speed to power, Myles is significantly better.

And this is coming from someone who loved Jevon Kearse as a kid, but he's not in the same class as Myles Garrett when it comes to talent.  He's faster.  But that's about all he has on Garrett.  Everything else is Myles by a mile.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Van, stop it.

In terms of size, build, and athleticism, Bruce Smith is the closest comp to Myles Garrett I can find.  Now as I said earlier, I question Myles Garrett's killer instinct and overall love for the game.  He might not play long enough to get into the same class as those guys when it comes to accomplishments.  But in terms of pure physical ability, he's in the same class as Bruce Smith.  

You can think its crazy right now, but in 4 months when Myles Garrett has 18-19 sacks in the season and is wrecking games week after week, you'll come around to my point of view.

19 minutes ago, VanS said:

In terms of size, build, and athleticism, Bruce Smith is the closest comp to Myles Garrett I can find.  Now as I said earlier, I question Myles Garrett's killer instinct and overall love for the game.  He might not play long enough to get into the same class as those guys when it comes to accomplishments.  But in terms of pure physical ability, he's in the same class as Bruce Smith.  

You can think its crazy right now, but in 4 months when Myles Garrett has 18-19 sacks in the season and is wrecking games week after week, you'll come around to my point of view.

If you want realistic size/speed/build he IMO is closest to Julius Peppers which is always who I thought he would be before Garrett was even drafted. Myles Garrett is Julius Peppers in every way shape and form. He is much bigger than other guys like you mentioned.

7 hours ago, VanS said:

You mean finally put up numbers Dozens of DE's have achieved numerous times before him? One of a kind in deed.

You've already admitted to being in your 20's since you were watching Kearse as a kid. Please don't ever Use Reggie White in the same sentence as Myles Garrett as a comparison ever again Please! Thanks!

Biggest problem he'll be up against, is that it's hard for edge rushers to put together a truly Dominant Defensive MVP type season, unless their team is fairly regularly playing with a lead that lets them truly tee off and get at the QB under passing situations.

9 hours ago, VanS said:

Bud Dupree tested better at an almost identical size. Then, you also have guys like Nick Perry, Cornelius Washington, Clowney, Shawne Merriman, Dwight Freeney, Adalius Thomas, etc. who were comparable athletes at similar weights. He's a great athlete, but you keep trying to make him an incredible rarity that he's not. Frankly, considering his draft position and hype, he underachieved in college. Garrett simply hasn't shown the sort of potential you try to bestow on him. I think Shawne Merriman or Justin Houston are more apt comparisons, and even those are optimistic. 

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Bud Dupree tested better at an almost identical size. Then, you also have guys like Nick Perry, Cornelius Washington, Clowney, Shawne Merriman, Dwight Freeney, Adalius Thomas, etc. who were comparable athletes at similar weights. He's a great athlete, but you keep trying to make him an incredible rarity that he's not. Frankly, considering his draft position and hype, he underachieved in college. Garrett simply hasn't shown the sort of potential you try to bestow on him. I think Shawne Merriman or Justin Houston are more apt comparisons, and even those are optimistic. 

I think this is your problem.  You place far too much on what happens in college.

Some guys are just meant to flourish in the NFL moreso than college.  For example, JJ Watt's production in college pales in comparison to what he's done in the NFL.

Myles Garrett is meant for NFL stardom  moreso than collegiate stardom like JJ Watt.

17 minutes ago, VanS said:

I think this is your problem.  You place far too much on what happens in college.

Some guys are just meant to flourish in the NFL moreso than college.  For example, JJ Watt's production in college pales in comparison to what he's done in the NFL.

Myles Garrett is meant for NFL stardom  moreso than collegiate stardom like JJ Watt.

I place emphasis on what happened in college because Garrett has done next to nothing in the NFL. Pulling predictions out of your rear end isn't going to convince anyone.

On 8/31/2018 at 4:26 PM, jrry32 said:

I place emphasis on what happened in college because Garrett has done next to nothing in the NFL. Pulling predictions out of your rear end isn't going to convince anyone.

I mean he had 7 sacks in I think 10 games last year... that's something....

1 minute ago, pnies20 said:

I mean he had 7 sacks in I think 10 games last year... that's something....

I said next to nothing. 7 sacks in 11 games is next to nothing when he's being compared to the elite defenders in the NFL. He's a talented guy who showed good things as a rookie, but that's the extent of it to this point.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I said next to nothing. 7 sacks in 11 games is next to nothing when he's being compared to the elite defenders in the NFL. He's a talented guy who showed good things as a rookie, but that's the extent of it to this point.

I can agree with that. I think the hype stems from him being unblockable at times this preseason. He looks 100% healthy and hungry.

2 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

I can agree with that. I think the hype stems from him being unblockable at times this preseason. He looks 100% healthy and hungry.

I think the hype is warranted. I think the VanS Hot Takes are not. ;)

Archived