Behold Da Bearz!

vike daddy

I used to be in favor of taxpayer dollars for stadiums. But when Stephen Ross turns down $10 Billion for the Dolphins, I think it's about time teams pay for their own stadiums. 

12 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I used to be in favor of taxpayer dollars for stadiums. But when Stephen Ross turns down $10 Billion for the Dolphins, I think it's about time teams pay for their own stadiums. 

Well, Stephen Ross, for all his faults, was going to pay 70% of the costs to renovate Dolphins stadium and only asked for $90M (spread over 30 yrs), and got turned down, while the legislators then proceeded to spend $100M on building the Astros/Nationals a spring training stadium.  

As I've said in the past, I have no issue with a public/private partnership for the funding of stadiums...I just think the split needs to be more fair.  I think the way they built USBank Stadium has probably been one of the fairest.   

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think the way they built USBank Stadium has probably been one of the fairest.   

and that was for 2 billion, correct? and is regarded as one of the best stadiums in the NFL.

now, stadium costs are around 6 billion, i believe.

• Like 1

One of the biggest problems about the stadium conversation is that they have become nothing more than a trophy for the owners to show off. 

Every stadium now has to one up the stadium that was built before it. To the point where they are just these outlandish monstrosities that serve no logical purpose other than stroking a billionaire’s ego. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

One of the biggest problems about the stadium conversation is that they have become nothing more than a trophy for the owners to show off. 

Every stadium now has to one up the stadium that was built before it. To the point where they are just these outlandish monstrosities that serve no logical purpose other than stroking a billionaire’s ego. 

While it's nice to know that there have been at least 3 more stadiums since US Bank and not one has really been better.

• Like 1

Speaking on the whole Royals/Chiefs issue here in the KC area, I think it was kind of ridiculous that the recent vote didn't pass, as it was really a tax that they had already been paying for years...it was just an extension.  However, I will say that the Royals completely botched it. They pretty much ensured its failure with their handling of the process. They were always late on self-imposed deadlines regarding negotiations and site selection and then their "spokesperson" completely looked like an idiot during an open forum, responding with condescension and a lack of preparation. It was a vote that should have easily passed, but they blew it to epic proportions.  They were the leaders on the process because they wanted a new stadium, while the Chiefs just wanted to do renovations to Arrowhead. 

Since Kevin Warren is the head of the process in Chicago, he should probably be well-versed in the process there, after his experiences with Bagley and the Vikings. It certainly won't be like the Royals administration, who are clueless and apparently thought they could use a WS title they won nearly a decade ago as some boon to build a new stadium. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/chicago-bears/justin-fields-nick-foles-bad-relationship/

That doesn't paint a pretty picture for Justin Fields at all with his time in Chicago. 

No wonder they moved on for so little.

Eh...I don't make too much of it.  It does make him look bad, but that entire Bears organization has been a toxic environment. It would have been more helpful for Nagy and co to put QBs that are more similar to Fields around him than Dalton and Foles. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

It would have been more helpful for Nagy and co to put QBs that are more similar to Fields around him than Dalton and Foles. 

I believe in an organization that "responsibility floats uphill," meaning 8f Fields wasn't getting along with his peers, then the coaches and execs needed to be attentive to it. Not just allow the toxic environment to exist.

• Like 1