Aaron Rodgers Agrees To New Deal

packfanfb

2 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

how tf is getting 80m by march tho? w/ what money? 

This tells me we that since we didn't tear up his original deal that this is all bonus money plus transferring his base salary this year into an immediately paid out bonus thus giving him more $$$ up front and us more cap.

1 minute ago, FinneasGage said:

i get that but it counts towards the cap, no? or do you get SB up front and then the cap hit is just disbursed over the length of the deal? 

Easiest way to explain is that the signing bonus is given when the contract is signed.  But in terms of cap hit, it's spread over the life of the contract up to 5 years.  Since this is an extension and not a new deal, you can spread the signing bonus over the two original years.  So assuming that he gets $80M signing bonus, you've got an extra $16M added to this year's cap hit assuming nothing else is changed in his previous contract.  He'll have an extra $16M in signing bonus next year.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

This tells me we that since we didn't tear up his original deal that this is all bonus money plus transferring his base salary this year into an immediately paid out bonus thus giving him more $$$ up front and us more cap.

Ding Ding Ding.

Convert 2018 salary into Signing bonus on new deal, which is spread over a maximum of 5 years.  So his 19.8M can be put down to about... 4 Mil which would save us a max of 15mil.

Steelers were doing this for a long while with their defensive stars.

of course, the bill comes due for that at some point.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

LIS, until we see the structure of the deal we won't know for sure.  Right now, we're purely speculating.  All we know is he got $134M in new money, and he's making ~$80M in March.

Archived